Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
frndshpcptn
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Really knows how to have a good time at the WORLD!

October Cruise - Magic or Fantasy?

Help please!

We are looking to book our first DCL cruise (cruise once before Western itinerary on the Ruby Princess). We are two adults in our mid 30's - no kids.

Our choice is either a 7 night Eastern Itinerary on the Fantasy or the Castaway Cay double dip on the Magic (after it's out of dry dock).

Which would you choose? I was initally leaning towards the Fantasy - but now with the options of the double dip at CC - not sure...

Thanks!
frndshpcptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Magic.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
TinksMomma
Mouseketeer

I would pick the Fantasy. We really enjoyed the adult areas better on that ship than on the Magic.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
frndshpcptn

One vote for each so far

If it helps - the cruise is my birthday present to myself. I've been wanting to take a Disney cruise for ages - and I can not wait to go to Castaway Cay. I know it's October - so if there is a hurricane though, we could be diverted and miss Castaway completely.

Do the dry dock improvements for the Magic give it an edge?

if we did the 5 day Magic, we'd fly up to Orlando from Miami from Thursday to Sunday and visit the Parks, too.

But is the fantasy just that much better of a ship? Do two stops at CC equal the stops at St. Thomas or St. Martin?

I really can't decide!!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
jennab05
Mouseketeer

Fantasy definitely it's an incredible ship! If u wanted to go to castaway more than it gives you an excuse to book more cruises
Old 12-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

I'd love to have a chance to sail the Fantasy again. Loved the ship.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

My vote: the Fantasy.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I honestly prefer St. John (an excursion from St. Thomas) to Castaway Cay. CC is fun and all, but St. John is wonderfully undistured because it is a national park and the beach at Trunk Bay blows away the beaches at CC. And with the Fantasy, you still get CC once.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Before I could give an opinion I would have to know are they both 7-night cruise and what is the cost for each?

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Niebz
DIS Veteran

Fantasy has Remy - I know that's something I'm dying to to try when we take an adults only trip. Plus a longer itinerary is always nice. I do like the adult pool on the classic ships better than the new ships and our last cruise was a double dip cruise to Castaway Cay which was fabulous. It's a tough decision - if you had kids I'd say Fantasy no question but for adults it all depends on what you want out of the vacation. I think I'd still give a slight edge to the Fantasy.
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Tough choice! Depends on what you want.

I like different things on each ship. The aquaduck is fun, but how often do you plan to ride the water coaster? I like the Irish bar on the Fantasy, but Magic's sports bar is great. Each ship's rainforest is a little different, with items I prefer on each. I like the steam rooms and loungers better in Magic's rainforest, but Fantasy's rainforest has hot tubs, AND they have a view of the ocean.

I prefer the smaller restaurants on the Magic and the smaller crowds. The Fantasy has Remy, which is nice, but $$$. The bar between Palo and Remy is a great place to sit and have a drink, even if you aren't going to either restaurant that evening.

For ports: if you want to sit and enjoy a beach, nothing beats Castaway Cay. The beach is right there. Right there. Your food is still included on your beach day, as well as more soda and ice cream. If you want tours and activities, then St. Thomas and St. Martin are the way to go.

Here is the good news: you will do both. Whichever one you do first, you will fall in love with DCL and you will sign up for the other cruise before you leave the first. Enjoy.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
frndshpcptn

We are definitely beach people - so no tours or other activities in port really. If we did the Magic, we might do something like a zipline in Nassau - but otherwise would be perectly content to sit on the beach - in fact, he prfers it!

The Magic is 5 night, the Fantasy is 7.

The idea of hot tubs in the Rainforest area sounds lovely. This trip will be all about fun and relaxation.

I kind of like the idea that we can do the 5 night on the Magic and still have 4 (ish) days to do the Parks and only take one week off of work.

Are there fun / funny touches on the Magic? We saw a photo from the Fantasy, with an ice cream cone on Mike Wazowski'd head (where the self serve ice cream station seems to be). I love those type of details / touches. Are they on both ships?

We do hope to have kids someday, so plan to go again in the future - but for now this is a once in most likely 5 year type thing. We wouldn't have a chance to go on a cruise again all that soon...

Oh cost - it's about $1000 more for the Fantasy (same type cabin). Airfare will probably equal out between MCO and MIA. We'd spend more on Park tickets if we go on the Magic. If we take the Fantasy option, we will probably fly down Friday, cruise Saturday - Saturday AM and then spend Saturday and Sunday at the parks before flying home Sunday night.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Sleepyluke
Mouseketeer

We love the Magic and are looking at a fall cruise also. I was not real enthusiastic about going on the Fantasy with "so many people" but the more I read, the less I am worried aobut it. We go to relax and love lazy days watching the world go by. Having said that, we are going for the 2 extra days at sea!!!

Someone else said it, but we like Castaway, but I love St. John. Our first cruise was Western, then 4 eastern. We will be booking another eastern....
Sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
All Things Simba
Can't stop taking photographs!

Smile Magic or Fantasy

Hi, we've sailed on the Magic twice and she's a beautiful ship. Much better than the Wonder in my humble opinion. We've sailed the Eastern Caribbean on the Magic and will be sailing the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy in October, 2013 with a large family group. We too have no kids, but love DCL!

If you want more park time, I can understand you leaning toward the 5-nighter on the Magic (more affordable). I'm sure you would enjoy either ship. Each ship has Pirate night with fireworks at sea. However, when sailing on the Fantasy, the Pirate night is on the St. Maarten day, so I'm sure we'll really feel like we are pirates in the Caribbean!

There are so many new features on the Fantasy though... the Aqua Duck, the additional adult restaurant, the bigger adult pool area, mini golf, enchanting art work that comes to life, fabulous new restaurants, and more! If you aren't going to take a cruise for another 5 years, why not splurge and do the longest cruise you can? Adding park days before the cruise is our usual plan as we run in the parks and then relax on the ship... but anytime in the parks is great since you will be so close to WDW.

And a HUGE plus to the 7-night Fantasy cruise is pulling into St. Thomas ~ it is the most heavenly sight! Their shopping district is an easy stroll from the ship and it's clean and beautiful. That island also has a tram to take you up to the top and you get a gorgeous view of the bay with the Disney ship docked. On a 7-nighter you'll get 3 ports and more sea days. The sea days are very relaxing and you will really enjoy them. There are also new shows on the Fantasy as well.

So my vote.... 7 nights on the Fantasy!
8/99-CSR, 1/02-CBR, 2/04-POP, 8/05-DCL Panama Canal Cruise!, 12/07-AKL & POLY for Christmas, 1/09-POFQ & DCL Eastern w/St. Croix!, 10/09 POFQ WDW for Halloween & DCL Halloween Cruise, 4/13-POP Girls trip to WDW for the Epcot F&G Festival!, 10/13-WDW for Halloween and DCL Eastern for niece's wedding on Castaway Cay!

All Things Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Being cruisers of the same age and no kids, the Fantasy and the eastern itinerary. We absolutely loved St. John, probably the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. I liked the French side of St. Maarten better then the Dutch side and the airplanes taking off over Maho beach is a unique experience. The adults only areas on the Fantasy are fantastic, we spent most of our evenings enjoying Europa (the night club area) and Satellite Falls is very quiet and relaxing during the day. The Midship detective agency makes you feel like a kid, there were as many adults doing it as kids. Remy is worth the money. Our cruise in April on the Fantasy was so awesome that we felt like we were on a 2nd honeymoon and we've been married 8 years.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
frndshpcptn

Looks like Fantasy it the clear leader in responses!

Thanks, everyone!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: