Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Castaway Cay

First time DC. We are looking into a Galveston departure since we live in Texas and it would save us several $$ in driving expense to Florida. We don't fly so driving would be our transportation. My concern is this: will we miss not going to Castaway Cay? I have read several reviews on Magic and it seems that a lot of people really love Magic over the larger ships, so this is part of the reason for us choosing Magic and not making the long, long, long drive to Florida. I'm hoping that we are making the right choice by not going with Fantasy. But with all this said, will it be a big disappointment to miss Castaway Cay?

Thank you for your opinions.
BippityBoppity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoppity View Post
First time DC. We are looking into a Galveston departure since we live in Texas and it would save us several $$ in driving expense to Florida. We don't fly so driving would be our transportation. My concern is this: will we miss not going to Castaway Cay? I have read several reviews on Magic and it seems that a lot of people really love Magic over the larger ships, so this is part of the reason for us choosing Magic and not making the long, long, long drive to Florida. I'm hoping that we are making the right choice by not going with Fantasy. But with all this said, will it be a big disappointment to miss Castaway Cay?

I love Castaway Cay. That said, convenience and cost are worth alot. You can't beat sailing from the state you live in, and the Galveston prices are good. Either way, you will have an awesome and magical cruise regardless of which ship and whether or not you go to CC. We have been on the Wonder twice, and have been to CC 3 times due to one of the cruises being a double dip to CC. We will be sailing on the Fantasy this Feb. and I wouldn't have booked a DC that didn't stop at CC. Just my opinion. P.S. Sailing port doesn't factor in much to us, as we are from the Midwest and always fly to the Port.
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Castaway Cay is wonderful, but I'd say perhaps you won't be disappointed by what you won't see?

I think it's more disappointing to plan to visit Castaway Cay on sailing that includes it, but then have that stop canceled due to weather concerns. It happens.

Since you live in Texas and the Magic is a fantastic ship, it seems to make perfect since to me that you'd start cruising with Disney out of Galveston. May as well take advantage of it while you can, as DCL does not plan to sail from Texas in 2014.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoppity

Most likely you won't know what you're missing, since you've never been. For some people it's not a Disney cruise without CC. For others, just being on the ship is magical (I'm with this group). I'm all about saving money when it won't negatively impact my experience.
But I would also tell my husband that we need to book another cruise that DOES go to CC so we can compare.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

I'm confused... Why not do both? Book one of the Magic cruises out of Galveston that goes to CC. And get a day at WDW too!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Madhattr
Mouseketeer

For us CC is not the be all end all. We do enjoy it but it does not make or break a trip for us. The truly magical experiences happen on the ship. We're leaving Friday on The Magic and will not be going to CC.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Oohhh, you guys are just wonderful. I was so concerned that this might really be a huge concern but after reading your opinions I am so happy that I can make the decision to sail from Galveston. I knew that Disney was going to stop sailing from Galveston soon and since we've never cruised with Disney we wanted to try and grab at least a four day cruise. Read the reviews on the Magic and after reading such wonderful reviews we decided to make our first Disney cruise on Magic instead of Fantasy. Plus, not having to make the drive to Florida. Thank you again for your opinions as I truly do value them and this awesome forum.

Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

I think the OP made a good decision . While we love Castaway Cay, we really love sailing with DCL regardless of where the ship makes port.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Gina

Still don't understand why the OP doesn't just choose a Galveston cruise that sails to CC.

And I'll be the dissenting opinion here, I guess... CC absolutely *is* the be-all-end-all for DS and I. It's paradise, plain and simple, and some of our very best memories are from that gorgeous island. In fact, if the ship made no other stop than there, I would be perfectly happy.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I'm confused... Why not do both? Book one of the Magic cruises out of Galveston that goes to CC. And get a day at WDW too!
This is a good point -- we don't know if the dates work for the OP, but it is possible to visit CC on a Galveston departure.

Details for 2013: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...hamian-cruise/

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

The reason we didn't choose a Galveston departure that visits CC is because I didn't see one. We want to sail in February if at all possible since it's our wedding anniversary. Maybe I overlooked someplace?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

There is an 8 night Bahamian cruise that sails Feb. 15th.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
There is an 8 night Bahamian cruise that sails Feb. 15th.

Oh my gosh, I didn't even notice that one. I was searching Caribbean only cruises that sailed out of Galveston. Thank you.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
Gina

Quote:
Oh my gosh, I didn't even notice that one. I was searching Caribbean only cruises that sailed out of Galveston. Thank you.

That's the one I'm on. We have an AWESOME meet group -- It's really going to be a fun cruise!!

Here's the meet thread, if you decide to book that cruise!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....878025&page=31

-gina-

Old 12-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Plus, on the 8 day Bahamian cruise out of Galveston, they take you to Walt Disney World and include admission to the parks! How can you beat that??
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: