Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

Smile Stuffing my face @ Disney (holiday style): TUSKER HOUSE LUNCH! [3/26/13]

hello everyone (again).

HAPPY HOLIDAYS from emme & me!

i just wanted to start my dining review with a few pictures from MVMCP last night. i'm going to be on hiatus for a few days as my brother leaves for afghanistan on the 21st & it's been a very tough time for my family. image taken at fort bliss a few weeks ago.

my brother is on the left. he's a sergeant in the us army reserves & he is a combat medic for the military police. he will be the head medic of his unit during this deployment to afghanistan. he has already completed one tour in iraq. he is only 23 years old.

onwards to this dining review...

needless to say, my daughter & i spent 3 nights at disney to celebrate my daughter. to make a long story short, my daughter had 2 unexplained seizures which lead her to the ER (where she had her second seizure). she actually stopped breathing after her first seizure. she was in the PICU for 8 days & 7 nights.

we are celebrating as she has been seizure free for one year. the doctors have no idea why she had her seizures (was not febrile) & we see a neurologist every three months. what better place to celebrate than disney!

what a difference one year makes!

here is where we stuffed our faces....well, mainly...i stuffed my face.

LANDSCAPE OF FLAVORS @ AOA
PRINCESS STORY BOOK DINING @ AKERSHUS (breakfast)
BOMA (dinner)
CINDERELLA'S ROYAL TABLE (breakfast)
BE OUR GUEST (dinner)
MVMCP (party time!!)
TUSKER HOUSE (lunch)
various snacks & adult beverages at epcot, magic kingdom & animal kingdom

i also did some live reporting and the amazing barb (jabead) has posted the live reporting here. thanks barb for all your hard work!

i just wanted to share some of my favorite shots during MVMCP. this was taken at the 7:45 show at the castle. we got great seats in front and i got some fun & steady shots (especially with a squirmy 2 year old sitting in my lap).

this is my favorite!

again, happy holidays to all my disboards friends!

Last edited by emmebear; 03-26-2013 at 09:25 PM.
emmebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Wow! Congratulations to Emme for great health this past year! And please thank your brother for his service. His (and your family's) service to our country is much appreciated.

I'm really looking forward to your reviews! They're always so much fun to read!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
suburbiatexas
Earning My Ears

thanks so much to your family and especially your young brother on his service to our country.....

and many hugs to you and your daughter on her year of mending....

look forward to your reviews
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to more! Gotta get my fix in before Jan!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
lizzytizzy
Mouseketeer

Joining in!
lizzytizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on one year of improved health for your daughter. She is so cute. I'm sorry for the difficult time your family is having.

Your pictures are wonderful. I read one of your recent reviews and will be joining this one. Looking forward to it.
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion

Currently reading: The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

I'm so happy to hear that your daughter is feeling better. You're exactly right there is not a better place to celebrate than WDW. I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Joining In -Amanda
Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
4simpsons
Earning My Ears

Wow

First - a big thank you to your brother and your family for what he's doing.

Second - you have a gift. Thanks for sharing!
4simpsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

thank you everyone for the warm responses & support. my brother flew out today to begin his deployment in afghanistan.

this is my brother's medic unit. he's in the 320th MP & is the head medic on this deployment. i'm so proud of him! please everyone pray for their safe return.

i wanted to cheer myself up so i was looking at my MVMCP pictures and decided to start my dining review with pictures from the party. it also is helping me to get into the holiday spirit.

here are some of my favorite moments during the party.

emme getting her face painted which was located close to the bathrooms by space mountain. here's a tip: you get FREE touch ups all day! we went back numerous times to add some more glitter to her face as well as glitter lipstick!

mickey & minnie looked so cute in their holiday outfits.

donald was so funny!

cinderella's castle was breathtakingly beautiful this night.

the ballerina during the nutcracker portion.

mickey & the toy soldiers.

santa goofy!!

i loved all their holiday attire.

walt & mickey.

holiday wishes with fireworks over the beasts castle!

emme & i stood around the "be our guest area" and got a great view of the fireworks. we moved around a little so we could see the fireworks over cinderella's castle but overall, we had a perfect view of holiday wishes. it was glorious!

emme & i a little after midnight. the photopass photographer was very nice and waited until most of the crowd cleared from the castle area to take our picture. i'm glad to have a nice shot of me & my daughter.

and here are some of my favorite character meet & greets:

emme & merida

fortune teller daisy in fantasyland.

a [very] enthusiastic emme (ha) & minnie mouse.

daredevil goofy! that's his motorcycle in the upper left corner. ha ha!

and these pictures with donald "the snake charmer" duck are some of my favorites. emme does not smile for me (i've traumatized her) & she doesn't smile to spite me (i think). so i asked her to show donald her ballet moves. donald started to copy emme's ballet moves. it was so ridiculously cute. she still talks about her meeting with donald today.

emme giving donald some ballet lessons!

so cute!

still doing some ballet moves!

later on during the party, we saw scrooge! i've never seen him before at the parks.

it was actually his idea to pick up emme's shoe like in cinderella.

emme dancing with woody & jessie!

the force is strong with this one!

we did have a late night "snack" at casey's. this was the plain hot dog meal with fries. no drink is included. the cost was $7.99 with tax. the toppings bar had everything minus chili. it even had hot cheese! i thought it was a great value as emme and i both shared everything. the bread was a little weird but other then that, it was pretty good. fries were nice and hot & we found a quiet place to sit and just relax for a minute before heading into frontierland for the last 45 minutes of the party.

we spent all day at magic kingdom on MVMCP. the bulk of our time was spent in fantasyland. there's just so much to do in this area for emme. we had such a great time. i'm really glad to have caught the very first show at 7:45. it was tough getting out to fantasyland after the show was over but it was worth it.

we caught some glimpses of the parade and the snow on main street was a nice touch. we did not take advantage of the free hot cocoa or cookies. i will admit that the holidays bring out the ugliness in some people. a few people were downright rude and terrible because of my jogging stroller. i think i have really great stroller etiquette but some people are just awful.

we will be returning next year as we had an absolute blast! our last ride was the magic carpets of aladdin. it was about 12 midnight but the CM still let us on. it was really nice of him and the perfect way to end our night.

next up, LANDSCAPE OF FLAVORS @ AOA

Last edited by emmebear; 12-23-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Merry Christmas! Best wishes for a Happy Healthy New Year. Love your reviews and love seeing pics of your beautiful daughter!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

thank you again everyone for the compliments for my photography & also for praying for my brother & family. haven't heard from my brother yet so we're hoping for a phone call when he can give us a ring.

seeing the pictures did really cheer me up.

happy holidays everyone!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #14
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

I love love love your pics! The Donald and Emme ones in particular Emme is simply beautiful Glad shes well now, having seen my DS hooked up to wires for 5 days earlier this year only to be told they didn't have answers for me I can sympathise! Its NOT nice seeing them so helpless but what better place to celebrate Emme's health than WDW!
Also sending prayers for your brothers wellbeing, its a great service he is doing especially at only 23!
Merry Christmas to you and yours

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

LANDSCAPE OF FLAVORS @ AOA

happy new years everyone!!

to continue my dining review, we started our trip with an impromptu meal @ landscape of flavors @ aoa. we originally had dinner plans at narcoossee's with viewing for holiday wishes but unfortunately, due to an accident on I-4, we missed our dinner ressies.

we were staying @ pop century for this short trip & i decided to head to AOA for dinner.

the christmas tree @ pop century

we were placed in the 50's section but did not pay the preferred room rate. passholder special for the room was $73! couldn't pass that up.

we made the very short drive to AOA. technically, we could have walked but it was a little chilly so we got in the car & made it to AOA.

emme calls this "the snake".

the christmas tree at the AOA lobby.

it was very crowded at AOA this night. i guess we arrived at peak dinner time. we headed over to the tandoori section & ordered dinner.

TANDOORI BONELESS CHICKEN THIGH W/ 2 SIDES: SAAG PANEER & LENTILS, BASMATI RICE, NAAN

this portion was a lot smaller than the portion i received back in october. in fact, i was still hungry after finishing this. maybe it's cost control but the portion was basically less than a scoop of everything. on the positive, the chicken thigh was not dry this time around.

below is a picture of my meal back in october. note the larger portion of the rice & lentils.

the saag paneer (spinach w/ cheese) was very weird. it is definitely not authentic but the paneer was good. the lentils were tasty but on the cold side.

i also got a side of their tandoori sauce (i was hoping they had some raita to dip my bread in) but it was the closest sauce they had. it was a bit tangy but not what i was wanting. speaking of sides, emme got an extra side of basmati rice as well. and let me tell you, it was one teeny tiny scoop of rice. the last time we got a side of rice, our bowl was overflowing with rice.

the great thing about AOA is that you can use your TIW card and receive 20% off your entire meal. this is a very nice perk. the only odd moment about using the TIW card is that the CM has to wait for a manager over ride to use the card.

emme and her very small serving of basmati rice.

for dessert, we got the mickey cupcake. again, we were unable to eat this cupcake as it fell and crashed to the ground. it looked yummy though. on our last trip, we were unable to eat the same cupcake as i tried to save it for later but water got into the container. i guess it wasn't meant to be.

after dinner, we headed to publix to stock up on a few groceries to put into our fridge.

VRROOOOOOOM!

overall, i was disappointed in my meal this time around at AOA. the portions were smaller & there was difficulty in trying to use my TIW card. it was a nice meal to have so close to my resort but i think i would have been happy with a sub sandwich from publix over the $13.00 meal i had at AOA.

one last thing, this was my first time staying @ POP & it was one of the worst nights of sleep i have ever had at any resort. the pillows were very firm and both mattresses were sagging in the middle. i asked for different pillows but it seems that all the pillows were very firm. we ditched the pillows and slept on sweaters and jackets. i had such an awful migraine from sleeping on the pillow for a few hours as my head was at a very awkward angle. after spending such long hours at the parks, all we wanted was a good nights sleep. unfortunately, pop was TERRIBLE. i will not be staying there again. i've stayed at other value resorts (all star movies & AOA LM section) and POP was by far, the absolute worst in terms of quality of sleep (mattress, pillows, blankets). my room was definitely showing signs of age.

next up, STORYBOOK PRINCESS BREAKFAST @ AKERSHUS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: