Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #1276
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Thanks for reading!!!!!!

HHI is amazing. I am used to the midatlantic beaches and the beaches in Florida. HHI is home to the most amazing Spanish Moss on all the trees. The beach itself is very, very hard packed and you can easily ride bikes on it. The island has a very, very upscale feel because of very strict regulations on building and signage. The landscaping is impeccable.

HHI has the greatest tide fluctuations along the entire east coast except for the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia.

HHI is 45 minutes from Savannah - which is an absolutely amazing city. Even more beautiful is Charleston - which is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away. Definitely both cities are day trip worthy. There is a lot of history in both cities. Wonderful carriage rides and historic house tours.

The resort itself has plenty of activities including a marsh walks, bird walk, and kayaking - which is super easy and fun. The beach house is about 1.5 miles away. There are activities scheduled all day long every day of the week.

There a ton of great places to eat.

Should I go on?

Another DISer said to me before I went "Disney's HHI is a special place" and that about sums it up. I have a lot of pictures from my last trip there in the TR below called "Why Not Queue Up Another Disney Trip?"

Thank you.

That Mike!

Coming very soon.
Wow! Thanks so much for your review of HHI! I'll definitely be checking out that TR then, since I haven't seen any TR's for HHI. Thanks!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #1277
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Wow! Thanks so much for your review of HHI! I'll definitely be checking out that TR then, since I haven't seen any TR's for HHI. Thanks!
You're welcome. There are a few HHI TRs but you have to search for them. I am sure I will write about this year's trip to HHI as well. I will probably combine it with my June TR.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #1278
MEK
DIS Veteran

A Room With a View!

So - I just have to say that it's two weeks until HHI! Very excited. I am hoping that Nick will have his college choice firmed up by then.

We visited WVU on Monday and he really liked it. He is going back to the engineering open house at Rowan University (South Jersey) today where he was offered a complete academic scholarship and then we attend University of Delaware decision days right before we leave for HHI.

Unfortunately, I think he is going to decide against Virginia Tech because of the expense compared to these other choices. WVU, UDEL, and Rowan would make it possible for him to attend without any loans. Nick is practical. Almost too practical sometimes. There are a couple WVU programs that he is interested in that are part of the academic common market. This would make him eligible for instate WV tuition plus scholarships.

One of the things I like about WVU is its a university that really gives back to the community. WV is probably one of the most impoverished states in the country. Even though its only 4.5 hours from the East Coast, there is an entirely different vibe there. I think it might be good for Nicholas to get involved in projects for underserved kids and there are plenty of opportunities like that. Some involve reduced tuition and stipends.

Nick also applied to Georgia Tech back in October. This was his reach school and he ended up wait listed there. Honestly - I feel like that is so much better than getting DENIED! I am very proud of him.

So, I digress, but this college choice stuff is really pre-occupying me right now.

A Room With a View

I know you are going to find this hard to believe, but I barely have any pictures left for this update. Yup, that's right - I actually didn't use my camera for the rest of the day. Well, I used it for a couple room shots, but then I gave it a rest.

Is that possible?

Apparently so.

But don't worry - I definitely have pictures of our room view. We exited the elevator on the 4th floor and walked in the same direction as during my stay in June (remember - standard view, ground level). The anticipation was building as we approached the room - Apparently enough so that I did not take a picture of our room number. I was just so excited to have a high floor and it was obvious it was going to be a pool view.

Upon arrival to our room I took the necessary bed picture

Cynthia and I took turns on who would sleep in the beds during this stay. She got the bed for VWL and it was now my turn to get the bed since I was staying one night longer than her. Woo hoo for an extra bonus day!

Necessary Vanity Picture

and kitchen picture

Picture on the wall

Another bed picture

And now...drum roll please...what you've been waiting for...the first of many view pictures.

View straight ahead

View to the left

When we walked out on the "verandah" and saw this, well&&you can just imagine the response. Better than a Boardwalk view, IMHO! I was in love, for sure. And I know Cynthia was too!

View to the right

Tired of the view yet. How could you be?

I took this picture later in the evening before dinner because I see the lights coming on

So, honestly, in all the views I have ever end (with the exception of my spectacular view in Vero Beach) this was hands-down the best ever. I could have lived on that balcony. Ok, so I am exaggerating, but you get the idea.

Hi Swan. You are so close.

Hi Dolphin

Hi Clown Pool

Oh - and just in case you were wondering - We did get a towel animal

Once we were unpacked and showered it was time to get ready for dinner. Checking myself out in the mirror. So serious.

I wasn't sure which pic I liked better, so I posted all of them. See what happens when you are short on pictures for an update - you get to see me three times. Yikes!

Continued In Next Post........

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 03-23-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #1279
MEK
DIS Veteran

Continued From Previous Post......

Dinner tonight was extremely convenient. We needed only to walk outside and head straight to the Flying Fish. Once our wait list for BWV came through we switched our ADRs so that we ate at Citricos while still lodging at VWL and FF once we arrived at BWV. Always thinking! Yes, we are!

I decided that a wine flight was in order

Here's what I drank

I think Cynthia, my personal sommelier, picked my flight and she was right on the money!

The first time I ate at FF I wasn't a big fan of the interior, but from a slightly different seating angle I developed a different opinion. I found our table to have a cozy feel to it and I felt right at home. I loved the restaurant. Funny how a table location can change your opinion of a restaurant's interior.

Our view of the rest of the restaurant

Now - On to the Food!

Appetizer

Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala - Florida Yellow Beefsteak, Ugli-ripe and tiny grape Tomatoes, aged Balsamico, Exotic Peppercorns, Petite Basil, and Sicilian Olio Verde $15.00

Very tasty!

Entree

Ginger and Teriyaki Char-Crusted Yellowfin Tuna - bok choy, Asian mushrooms, carrots, snap and snow peas, with a lightly curried carrot-coconut lemongrass infusion $38.00

If I am not mistaken, and you know I definitely could be, I think Cynthia and I ordered the same thing.

I really enjoyed my meal here. There is my second visit to the FF and the food has been very, very good both times. FF - I will be back. One of my favorite signature restaurants - for sure.

We passed on dessert - or at least I did since we were heading into Epcot to watch Illuminations. Time wise, we had ample time to grab dessert there.

Now, here's where I might give you a little TMI. On the way into Epcot I started to feel my stomach "rumble", shall we say. I do have a touch of IBS that is really well managed with probiotics, but the occasional change in diet can sometimes cause a bit of havoc. So when we hit the IG entrance (Christine's private entrance) I told Cynthia to head on in without me. I ducked into the restroom.

And...well...nothing.....Just stomach cramps.

OK, maybe I am OK, I thought.

So I went into Epcot and decided to head over to the champagne booth. I don't really recall what type of champagne I had except that it was the most expensive one on the menu. Big spender that I am!

After I got out of line, which seemed to take forever (who knew it was so hard to pour glasses of champagne) I met up with Cynthia and we started to walk back towards England to find a spot for Illuminations.

Just as I had finished my champagne and as Illuminations was about to begin, that all-too-familiar stomach "rumble" came back again with a vengeance and I suddenly found myself hustling to the restroom right at the beginning of Illuminations. Talk about terrific timing.

Oh well, I consoled myself by the memory that I had since Illuminations not once, not twice, but three times in June.

Fortunately, I did catch the end of the show. But all I have to prove it are crappy cell phone pictures. And when I say crappy - I mean it.

See for yourself

Actually -This next one isn't half bad for a cell phone pic

To make up for my lackluster photos here are some real pictures from June (in reverse order thanks to Photobucket)

The craziest thing about Illuminations is there were tons of drunk people around. It reminded me of the crowds that hang out in Dewey Beach in the middle of summer. Everyone was having a great time. Clearly no one was feeling any pain - at least not until tomorrow.

See what I mean - Group shot

AT the conclusion of Illuminations we walked home. And I am here to tell you that there is NOTHING better than walking out of Christine's private entrance and heading back to the Boardwalk.

It was a great day and now it was time to hit the hay and get up and do it all over again tomorrow.

Up Next - 3 parks in one day!

Last edited by MEK; 03-25-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #1280
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

What a view !!! Fabulous !!!Sorry about the IBS kicking up !!!Timing is always the worest with it !!! Loved the room pix too !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #1281
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
What a view !!! Fabulous !!!Sorry about the IBS kicking up !!!Timing is always the worest with it !!! Loved the room pix too !!
Hey Rosie! It was such an amazing view. I could stay in that room every time I went to Disney and never have a single complaint!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #1282
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Wow, that view is amazing!!

Dinner sounds great. I think that might be high on the list of "date night" restaurants for me if we ever take the grandparents to Disney.

Sucks about your IBS acting up. No IBS diagnoses but we do come from a family of sensitive stomachs, so I kinda know how that goes.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #1283
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

booooo not fun ,sorry to hear you had that to deal with during the awesome display but hopefully it didnt continure on cause that would stink ,literally !!!

cheekypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #1284
amazingact21
Upendi

Wow, talk about a view! I could vacation there and just sit and stare at the pool and the Swan and Dolphin all afternoon. I'd say your room definitely made up for being on the ground level back in June.

I haven't read or seen too many reviews of FF on people's trip reports, so it was nice to read about a not-so-common to me restaurant. And your appetizer looked delicious!

Having to simply walk out of the IG to get back to your resort must have been wonderful. You were able to avoid the mass exodus through the park and could indulge in the food and wine without worrying about driving. I think all Disney fanatics like us dream of staying so close to Epcot at least once.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #1285
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Be still my heart...that view....nothing short of spectacular!! Wow....I really don't have any words!

We really enjoyed FF when we went in 2010 and can't figure out why we haven't been back! I love wandering the Boardwalk after and taking it all in....
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #1286
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Wow, that view is amazing for sure! Sorry about your stomach troubles. I have similar problems myself. BOO. Glad you could catch the end of IllumiNations, at least!

-Marissa
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #1287
HockeyMomR
DIS Veteran

Mary Ellen - the view - wonderful. I am such an Epcot area lover, so, lovely. FF looked yummy, sorry to say we have actually never eaten there. One of these days! Sorry to hear of your stomach problems, but any bit or picture of Illuminations is not bad.

College stuff - I totally get it. Good luck to Nick with decision making. Pros and cons, but sounds like he is a practical, smart kid that will make a good decision. I have faith and hoping Connor ends up as happy with his choice as our older son, Sean, is happy with his choice of Lehigh. May 1 cannot be here soon enough! Good luck with the Rowan visit. Also, we will be at UD April 6 for the decision day, you? We are hoping to see the new honors dorm!

* 01/01 - BC * 11/01 - BC * 04/03 - BC * 04/04 - YC * 03/05 AKL / BC * 05/06 - AKL/Poly * 07/07-WL/YC/GF *
*01/08 (mother/daughter trip)-POR*08/08-YC*4/09 (ladies trip)-Dolphin*07/10-BC*9/13-YC*4/14-WL*8/14 BC*
HockeyMomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #1288
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Oh what a spectacular view!!! I love that resort! (We're booked there in December.) Those rooms on that side are so good because of your view of the Swalphin hotels. (We had a view of the pool from the other side by the fire pit. not nearly as good as yours.)

I can completely relate to constant planning.... your dining lines up with your resort - that makes sense to me!

Glad to know FF was a wonderful dinner. Nice food, good wine, great company - what a great experience. Sorry about your post dinner gastic distress. No bueno!

Ahhh Illuminations... lovely. You did have a great cell phone photo but your other photos are awesome! I don't think I've ever really had a great photo of those fireworks. Gotta learn to use my manual camera settings I suppose!

I wish your DS all the luck in his school choice! How exciting that he has so many options.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #1289
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Ah the Boardwalk. My new home!!!

It will be interesting to see what I think of Boardwalk View versus our Luna Park perfection. It truly did inspire a purchase, absolutely no doubt about that.

I think we did have the same thing for dinner! SO good. Hands down favorite meal of the trip. But maybe different wine flights? I'll have to check when I do my update which will probably be tomorrow. There is a gap of time in there actually though after we checked in and before dinner, where I went and did something else, I am guessing maybe you just hung on the balcony while I did? I don't recall but maybe it will come to me when I do the update.

Your poor tummy, I felt so bad.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #1290
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Good luck to Nick as he makes his decisions.

Love the view. I need to give Boardwalk another chance. I ended up there for one night after my cruise in Oct after having issues at WL....I wasn't thrilled with the room but I think I just got a stinker (not much inventory left on Saturday night of Veteran's Day weekend!) I do love the location.

Jill in CO

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: