Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #1561
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
That's what I was thinking! I have heard so much about shepherd's pie, but don't know a lot about what is in it......... They do look good for sure, but then what man doesn't love some good mashed potatoes???
i was going to tell you basically what she did, great thing about that dish is you can add basically whatever veggies you like and it will still turn out good...

or just invite her over and have her make it for you. or ship you some on dry ice.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #1562
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Caught up! I enjoyed your pictures of the demonstration and your Food and Wine tastings. Wow, that hand roll in Japan looked really good.

Cynthia, I'm glad that you're using the cookbook. It's so easy for those to just get put on a shelf!
glennbo123 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #1563
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
So behind everywhere! It was a crazy week and the upcoming one will be pretty busy too. I had to use the links to catch up which I really don't like to do because I enjoy everyones comments- but no other way!
I always have to use links to catch up. I must ADD because I find some of the banter in other people's TRs a little overwhelming.

Quote:
Mary Ellen-

Have a wonderful time at HHI!!! Wishing you GREAT weather. Can't wait to see all the pictures.
Thanks. I haven't quite taken as many pictures as I would like too, but I will have some to post. I'll try to do better.

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear about the kitties. They are adorable!!! Love the picture with the tounge. Sending good thoughts for better health now that you know what is going on.

Thanks. Max seems to be doing much better since he was started on insulin, so that's definitely a relief.

Quote:
Loved some of your unique views of the World Showcase. It is nice to see some different perspectives.

It really is. I love looking at people's world showcase pics. I find the world showcase pics to be my second favorite pics. AK pics are always my first.

Quote:
I love the bead jewelry. I don't actually have much jewelry, not sure I own more than 1 or two bracelets- I am going to check these out on my next trip. By the African outpost???
Yes - I don't remember seeing them before. I'm not even sure if they were just there for F&W or if they are a permanent thing. They are pretty cool.

Quote:
OMG- the Grapefruit beer sounds devine!!!
It was. I definitely recommend it. So good! Can't wait to try it again next October!

Quote:
And I adore the photopass pictures, especially with your beloved mug of beer.

I was really loving that beer, wan't I? Very enthusiastic!

Quote:

Cynthia-

The inspiration for the title of this chapter was a riot!!! But I thought there was a commercial about happy California cows.
Quote:
YUMMO on the spicy handroll. Looks so good.
It was really good! That's another thing that's very high on my list.

Quote:
Food & Wine is second on my Disney bucket list (MNSSHP is first). Sounds like a fall trip needs to be built into my travel plans.
I would have to agree with that and sooner than later.

Quote:
Mmmmm- the Shepherd's Pies look awesome. I actually tried googling the Shamrock and Peach recipe, but didn't find it. Got to the blog site, though.
Maybe she will post it. Maybe she already did.

Quote:
Have a great week, ladies!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Okay, all caught up too! Had a big weekend of dance to keep me off the DIS. We had a blast, and Paige's team did awesome, including winning the BIG trophy for best group performance of the day (Junior and Petite).
I see that you girls are doing amazing in the competitions. That is so awesome - congratulations!

Quote:
Anyway - back to your story...

Hope the kitties continue to improve - it's so hard when our furbabies have issues.
Thank you. Kismet has been doing well for awhile and Max is doing better since he started insulin.

Quote:
Mary Ellen - I know you are enjoying HHI right now - I hope you have a great time! Wish I was back there now. We're looking at more wintry weather this week! UGH!
Ugh Sheree - I am so sorry. It's gorgeous here this week. They said it was terrible last week. I am so ready for spring/summer now.

Quote:
Cynthia - nice job on the pot-cam pics and on your shepherd's pies! Looks yummy! Good luck with your single-parent week!
I love the pic of you two with ME's beer! So funny!

I look like the world's biggest lush.

Quote:
Now I want to go back in October. There was so much more to sample!
There really is a lot I missed. I can't wait to try more items. I keep seeing really yummy stuff in other people's TRs.

Quote:
I have the DIS mug!!! I love it! Nice and big, the handle is big too!
I love mine, too! And the best part is no one else in my house likes it because they all think its too big. So it's always clean for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Cynthia: I love your individual shepherd pies. Between your food and the wine it definitely fits a theme going on here... F&W!
I agree that they look pretty amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Have an awesome trip Mary Ellen!
Thanks!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #1564
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
i was going to tell you basically what she did, great thing about that dish is you can add basically whatever veggies you like and it will still turn out good...

or just invite her over and have her make it for you. or ship you some on dry ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Caught up! I enjoyed your pictures of the demonstration and your Food and Wine tastings. Wow, that hand roll in Japan looked really good.

Cynthia, I'm glad that you're using the cookbook. It's so easy for those to just get put on a shelf!
That hand roll was amazing! So yummy. I'm hit or miss with my cookbooks, the tried and true ones Get worn out but I'm not as good with some others. I spent literally a day over the holidays reading through all of them, book marking things to try and finding a lot of things in some of the ones I never use.

I've utterly failed at follow through.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #1565
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Hi guys! Apparently our alarm clock I home in the room was set for 6am. So I'm checking the DIs from my phone HHI is as wonderful as always and the sunset as gorgeous as ever! And you would all be proud of me. I actually drove all the way from Delaware to NC. And another couple hours later. Everyone have a great Monday.
Have an awesome trip!!!

YUM!!!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #1566
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Sorry the cats have been having so many issues. It's no fun getting old for any of us.
You can say that again. All my cats are the same age. One of the disadvantages to that is they will all be elderly at the same time.

Quote:
Ugh. Sorry there's been a lot of crap to deal with. I hope your time in HHI helps calm things down!
If only.........

Quote:
It was really fun to watch.

Quote:
I'll just nod and smile and pretend I know what that is.
That's what I do when I am faced with a description I can't make heads or tails of. I will say that I have purchased the Kerry gold cheese at Bjs or Costco or somewhere since then and its really good. Very creamy.

Quote:
They'd better never run empty at that price!
Seriously!

Quote:
It's Julie's favorite!

Quote:
If it was a yellow snowcone, you wouldn't have been nearly as gung-ho about trying it.

Nope. I would have to pass on the yellow snow cone. I just watched Monsters Inc the other night and there were yellow snow cones in that movie.

Quote:
It was the buzz, right?

More than likely!

Quote:
My name is Mary Ellen and I am a lush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Go back to bed! It's vacation!!!!
Never happened. Darn alarm clock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
So glad you arrived safe and sound Mary Ellen! Have a wonderful vacation
Thanks! The drive down wasn't bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Cynthia, I read your updates over the weekend, but I forgot to comment on them. Anyway, first and foremost, I hope your seatmate finally woke up so that you weren't held captive for the entire 5.5 hours on the plane.
Me too! That would have been terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I'm glad that you enjoyed the cooking demo thing, and got to have a little meet and greet. I'm sure Jeff enjoyed his gift as much as you did. I'd say if you've made it multiple times since coming home, the shepherds pie definitely must be a hit.

I think its awesome that Cynthia really puts her cooking knowledge to good use, unlike someone else we know.

Quote:
i like the pies, but you need to take a picture of the filling next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Glad you got there safely Have a fabulous time!
Thanks Pam! The weather here is awesome!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #1567
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cynthia, enjoyed the video of the Jamminators! I love catching them in the park.........they are so much fun to watch and listen to, even the corny jokes!!!
The jamminators are a lot of fun! I really enjoy there act and the best part is they look like they are having a ton of fun doing it!

Quote:
Nice job on the driving! Glad you made it safely and I know you are having a wonderful time!
I hate to drive, so driving any distance is a big deal for me. Sad, but true! The weather here is perfect.

Quote:
It takes me a week to get into vacation sleep mode and by then I'm home. Sad, but true.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking! I have heard so much about shepherd's pie, but don't know a lot about what is in it......... They do look good for sure, but then what man doesn't love some good mashed potatoes???
No men that I know, that's for sure.

Quote:
I do not like seeing this!

Hope everyone is ok
Let's just say we ran into a little snafu!

Quote:

Next thing we know you'll be having her taking orders!

Quote:
OMG - that hand roll was delicious. I really can't wait to have one again in October. So, so good!

Quote:
And that is exactly why I never buy a cookbook! Of course the fact that I am culinary challenged might have something to do with it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Have an awesome trip!!!
Thanks! The weather here is beautiful and the island is so pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post

YUM!!!
I think I used those exact words.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #1569
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

I have to admit I was laughing throughout that entire update. Someone was feeling a little bit happy after her drinks!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
MHTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #1570
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Alfresco

Ok so before I get to my next update, I realized I didn't post some PP pics. After we finished our lovely lovely meal at Flying Fish and headed to the WS for a food and wine dessert, I lost Mary Ellen for a few minutes at the IG.

Apparently I decided I needed yet more pictures of myself.

In my defense, for those of you following my other TR you know that pictures of me are fairly few and far between (in fact there may only be one more between where I'm at and the end of the trip). And when there are pictures, more often than not my 13 year old took them and I'm making faces. So, on the girls trips, I do maximize that PP as heaven only knows when I might have a chance at getting a decent shot of myself.

I give you....a lovely evening in France.

After which I sprinted around the world, the long way around, in my red snakeskin print flip flops in search of my little lemon delight.

and bubbly.

My workout for the day.

Now...fast forward about 22 hours...

After our wonderful seminar, a stroll around the WS with some generous folks sharing beer, and food tips it was time to head back to the villa. Why? Well for some pool time of course! I can’t recall if Mary Ellen and I headed back together, or not. But I think we did. I know that I shopped in the WS while she was getting her zen on and on the way back stopped into both the bakery and the candy store to look at some little treats I planned to take home for the gang and picked a couple of things up, I think we just split up when we got to Seashore Sweets. Once back up in the room we changed and headed to the villa pool and I think we headed down together. I believe we chose the villa pool for a few reasons. First, it was a lot closer than the cottage suite pool, second it quieter than the Luna Park Pool and lastly, I hadn’t seen it yet! I imagine we made a drink in our mugs to take to the pool and I know I brought my kindle down there. I admit, I didn’t bring my camera, or my phone I think as I’m sure it needed to charge after the morning so we could get through the evening. Perhaps Mary Ellen took some pictures?

Here is what I recall about the villa pool. It is a nice, quiet pool, though darn close to the canal so not as private as some of them are. Not bad though. Right next to Community Hall for folks who like that.

I found these to give you the idea

Just as it in the pictures, it was pretty shady, and the loungers were lined up like soldiers, either bumping into the hedges or each other, making it a bit difficult to move them to position them to get any sun. I believe I read for a bit, wasn't quite warm enough to hop in the pool and as I read, I started to get sleepy so decided to flip over and lay down. So I did.

And took a very short nap. Or dozed. Either way as is bound to happen when I am lying flat on my stomach, I feel like I get stuck and stiff and getting back up is well, not the easiest thing to do. Not the smartest thing for my neck either but it truly does feel lovely, and decadent, at the time.

Either I really did bring my phone or Mary Ellen was keeping us on task with her phone (I think she was...as for some reason it seems there was more ref drama but I could be wrong), but either way at some point I managed my way back up to the room to get ready for dinner. Last night and we’d be going out in style. Dinner at the Brown Derby on an EMH night. Though it was starting to cool, it was so lovely out, we decided to walk. As you can see, I was playing around with the settings a bit.

The boat we didn’t take

It doesn't look very welcoming in this picture does it?

Continued in next post
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #1571
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Alfresco, Continued

I am very fond of the hat and really don't want it to go

Decent crowds

And...our destination!

For those who are curious about how long the walk is...my first picture on our walk was at 7:07, very close to the Villas. Our ADR was at 7:20 and, we walked through the dates at 7:20 and these next 2 pics were taken at 7:28. Not a bad walk at all!

Love these

As we had walked up, we noticed that the small outside patio was set up and a few folks were dining alfresco.

Which looked lovely!

AND they had space heaters.

Winner Winner
Chicken Dinner

First up, a glass of Conundrum

Then

Crisy Phyllo Napoleon of Bleu Affine - with wild mushroom duxelles, griled portobello, golden chanterelles, and a fig reduction $11.00

Followed by

Duck Two Ways - sauteed confit with swiss chard over an herb and goat cheese polenta cake finished with a pan-seared maple bourbon duck magret with a sun-dried cherry sauce $35.00

I believe Mary Ellen had the same wine and appetizer but had a different entrée.

It did cool off, but both of us had light jackets/sweaters and combined with the space heaters it worked out pretty well.

Overall it was a lovely dinner. I really enjoyed dining outside and people watching and I do love DHS at night, something about all the lights makes it so pretty at night, prettier than it is I think in the day. However our waiter was...a space cadet.

Who whined.

He wasn't getting enough tables

He had to wait on tables outside

People were using the Dining Plan

He was happy we weren't.

He was flustered, overly chatty in a bit of a negative way (though I honestly believe he had NO clue he was coming across like that, I think he thought he was pretty neat and funny....which is always unattractive) and if memory serves…a bit sweaty. Which is odd on a cooler night so maybe I’m remembering that wrong but for a guy who was complaining about how many tables he had and being split inside and out, he didn't manage it very well. I waited tables, and managed restaurants for years and generally...give servers the benefit of the doubt. This chap annoyed me.
And wasn't fast. Looks like our first stop after dinner was about 9:30 so almost 2 hours for dinner. Luckily it was EMH and time was on our side still with the park not closing until 11. First stop....

Pretyy sure I got the same ending again. Wah.

And then I think we may have diverged. Mary Ellen went to…Animation and drew something? Maybe? I think I walked over there with her as there was something I had to pick up nearby and then I wanted to shop a little more (really, I don’t shop that much, this was kind of funny in that I had set out as a top 10 item to really explore the shops everywhere, as I normally never ever do! And of course look at stuff for the kids. AKA Tees.

I headed here first

Enough of that! I NEEDED to go somewhere

Continued in next post
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #1572
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Alfresco, Continued

Enough of that! I NEEDED to go somewhere

And for some odd reason I think the single rider line was CLOSED. Not the whole ride, the FP line and standby were just fine. Just the single rider line.

So I trudged back here

Cell phone wasn't cutting it on the pics but apparently I'd given up trying with the other camera or, more likely, was too lazy to get it out.

The CM at RRC had told me to try back. So I did! Did I have any luck?

Why yes, yes I did!

During this, Mary Ellen and I had been texting and coordinated a meetup.

She was still in her class /drawing session (I think) and so of course I looked at more shops.

EMH on my last night. Almost over. What do you think we did?

Well, we got a picture to start

Maybe I did go in the pool....can't think why else my hair would be in a ponytail lol.

And then we decided there was one thing we should check on.

Did we go for it?

Hmmmn

Well OF COURSE we did!

My accuracy sucked.

Lets recap
  • Coffee on the Verandah with an AMAZING view
  • Opened AK
  • Epcot F&W
  • Pool time
  • Closed DHS at EMH

It may not be a 4 park day but darn close. It was a darn good and productive day. And yet, relaxing too! What more could you ask for on your last day? Oh besides the fact that your roomie was leaving a day after you so you didn't have to pack up and check out? Gotta love that. That and a flight that didn't leave until 6:25pm would give me while not a full day, a decent half day in which to say goodbye.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #1574
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Your pp pics in front of France are lovely!
And I love those silhouette shots of ToT with the sunset! Awesome!
Glad you enjoyed your dinner, despite the awkward waiter.
teekathepony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #1575
GoofyFan1515
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
So what do you think Cynthia? Should I start planning for your arrival??? Send me that ingredient list and I'll have the shopping done and everything ready for you when you get here..........

Quote:
My name is Mary Ellen and I am a lush!
Somehow I don't think this is a case where you are finally admitting it so you can move beyond it.........

Quote:
I hate to drive, so driving any distance is a big deal for me. Sad, but true! The weather here is perfect.

Driving long distances isn't my favorite thing to do, but it does rank up there above "riding" long distances.

It takes me a week to get into vacation sleep mode and by then I'm home. Sad, but true.

I can relate.......definitely the same for me!

No men that I know, that's for sure.

Let's just say we ran into a little snafu!

Next thing we know you'll be having her taking orders!

Well if I can't get her to come visit and prepare it fresh, I guess ordering delivery would be the next best thing.

OMG - that hand roll was delicious. I really can't wait to have one again in October. So, so good!

And that is exactly why I never buy a cookbook! Of course the fact that I am culinary challenged might have something to do with it as well.

Thanks! The weather here is beautiful and the island is so pretty!

So glad the weather is nice and you are having a good time!

I think I used those exact words.
Quote:
I give you....a lovely evening in France.

Nice picture, and a great place for it!!!

Quote:
Though it was starting to cool, it was so lovely out, we decided to walk. As you can see, I was playing around with the settings a bit.

I always love the sunset pictures as the lights are starting to come on.......

Quote:
The Darkroom.........doesn't look very dark!!!

Quote:
And...our destination!

So what was the name of the place you ate again???

Quote:
Then

Crisy Phyllo Napoleon of Bleu Affine - with wild mushroom duxelles, griled portobello, golden chanterelles, and a fig reduction $11.00
I think I would have needed a reduction of more than just the fig..........

Quote:
Followed by

Duck Two Ways - sauteed confit with swiss chard over an herb and goat cheese polenta cake finished with a pan-seared maple bourbon duck magret with a sun-dried cherry sauce $35.00
Huh???

So how was the duck? I've never tried duck before, but most people I have heard describe it say it is a little tough and chewy........

Eating outside seems like it would make for a pleasant evening and meal. Sorry your waiter took away from that.........

Quote:
The CM at RRC had told me to try back. So I did! Did I have any luck?

Why yes, yes I did!
You can never have too many rides on RnR!!!

Quote:
Did we go for it?

Hmmmn

Well OF COURSE we did!
I think I would have had to ride it also, since I have never ridden it at night! And yes I know it is an indoor ride and time of day doesn't affect it, but I don't think I've ever seen the wait time that low during EEMH so I would have had to take advantage!!!

And I have to agree that DHS is a lot prettier at night all lit up............and definitely when it is the Osborne Lights doing the lighting!!!
GoofyFan1515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: