Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
kerri124
Earning My Ears

Poly vs. Beach Club

I'm contemplating these two resorts for my next Disney trip. Can anyone share the pros and cons of each and which would you chose and why? Thanks so much for your input!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

I went back and forth a lot on this for this year's vacation.

Pros:

Poly - larger rooms all of which have a day bed. Close to MK. Beautiful, tropical grounds. O'Hana, Captain Cook's and Kona Cafe are really popular restaurants.

Beach Club - short distances and good transportation to both Epcot and DHS. Best pool on property. Several pools and hot tubs available. Beaches and Cream, Cape May Cafe are popular restaurants. Lobby, mug refill, and quick service options are all under one roof.

Cons:

Poly - some buildings have no balcony for rooms on the 2nd floor. In some buildings the sinks are inside the same area as the tub and toilet, which makes it a little harder to get ready in the morning. You need to walk outside to get to restaurants, mug refills, etc. There are no hot tubs, and the main pool can be very crowded.

Beach Club - the rooms are somewhat smaller, and not all rooms have daybeds or a balcony. The pool can be somewhat daunting for people with very small children.

I ended up choosing the Beach Club this year because my kids' favorite parks are DHS and Epcot, and my husband and I love to relax a bit in the hot tub in the evenings. It was REALLY hard to make the choice.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
jaceraden
DIS Veteran

They are both great really. And what I like better in BC, someone else would like better in Poly. Where you spend the most time park wise is a big factor in which resort you'd like better also.

Ultimately I chose BC because I liked the appeal of pushing a stroller to and from 2 parks rather than taking a bus. Plus, I thought my littles would really like the pool.

I was just looking at the Poly a little closer and thinking the electric water pageant and wishes from the beach would be pretty great too!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

I would say it depends on which park you stay at the most. When DD was younger we loved the convenience of a MK resort but now that she is older we tend to hangout at Epcot more so we like Epcot resorts. Now with that I would say that Poly is our favorite monorail resort and BC is our favorite Epcot resort. I find for every pro for one there is a con for the other and vice versa. You can't lose with either of these resorts.
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14

Kimi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Phelia325
Mouseketeer

Hmm tough call...if you go during a promotion, the discounts at BC tend to be better, if that matters.

Personally, I think the Poly is the BEST location of any WDW resort. You can jump right on the MK monorail from the lobby OR you can easily walk to the TTC and go directly to EPCOT. During our stay there last month, we were in a building very close to TTC and it was AWESOME. Also, not sure when you are going, but the Poly is currently be updated, so you could have the benefits of freshly refurbished rooms. Other things to consider, I find that the Poly tends to get a bit crazy in terms of crowds. The Lobby is frequently packed b/c of 'ohanas, especially in the evening. The pool is smaller than BC so it gets crowded during peak times. I LOVE walking around the Poly at night or sitting on the beach to watch wishes. If the MK makes your disney vacation magical, then the Poly is an excellent choice. Some people claim the Poly is dark and outdated but, for me, it's iconic Disney World.

The BC is one of our FAVORITE resorts. The pool is fantastic. My kids love it and we can spend the entire day at the pool and not get bored. I find the resort to be very clean and bright and inviting. The vibe is fun with a party atmosphere....especially at the pool. We love being able to walk to EPCOT and HS. Also, I think that area is great for older kids or couples, because the Boardwalk is lively at night. It's a great area to jog if that's your thing.

Aside from cost, we tend to plan on trip on the season...during a "cooler" weather trip where we are not guaranteed pool weather, we are all about location to the park and convenience. So during our February trip, the Poly was a no brainer and worked out great for easy access to the parks. During a warmer trip, when we are guaranteed pool weather, I think the BC pool is better than the Poly, so we would chose that any day. Either way, both are awesome resorts.
Phelia325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

We couldn't decide either, so we choose both. On our next trip we are staying 4 nights at the Poly to take in the MK and do all our favorite MK area restaurants, most of which are right there at the Poly. Then we move to the BC for 6 nights to do EP, HS and AK, and we will go to all our favorite EP restaurants in the evenings. We hope to do some pool time at each if the weather cooperates, but we are going the beginning of December so it's dicey...

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
kerri124
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone! Lots of valid points. Hadn't thought of a split stay before but it may not be a bad idea. Definitely something to consider.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

We have split between them in the past and it worked great. When I discussed with my kids picking one or other for the whole upcoming trip, they threw a fit, lol. PPs have weighed the pros and cons, they are equal for us in many ways with BC & YC's pool and proximity to Epcot and HS being important and the monorail and general magical atmosphere at the Poly being important. I wouldn't regret choosing either.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We've split and it was great! I like them both. I think you've got plenty of pros and cons. They are very different resorts, but both are nice.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri124 View Post
I'm contemplating these two resorts for my next Disney trip. Can anyone share the pros and cons of each and which would you chose and why? Thanks so much for your input!
Definately the Beach Club, best pool around. Plus the Boardwalk area of Disney is so perfect with lots of things to see and do. Easy access to Epcot and you might be able to see some of Illuminations from the bridge near the entrance. Boat ride to Hollywood Studios.

One big benefit of Poly is the Monorail system.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Mommy to Kayla
Mouseketeer

Yep - we are splitting as well. 6 days at the Beach Club and 5 days at the Poly CL. This is our firt trip to Disney World so we thought we'd do it big! Can't wait. We'll be there late June, early July (I know, I know but not all of us can go during the off-peak times unfortunately ) so we will definitely get a lot of use out of the pools!
Mommy to Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
micmac727
Earning My Ears

Beach Club is amazing with having the access to Epcot so close and having a great pool. If you are staying in the villas they are a little small especially compared to Old Key West. The atmosphere of the resort is great and friendly. I never stayed at the POL but I know that it is a great hotel too. They are two amazing hotels but they are both different. What ever one suits you best.
micmac727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

We have done the Poly for our past 4 trips and LOVE IT! However, this last trip to the Poly was in June and the main pool was nuts. I am looking forward to trying something new (BC) and the big main pool where you need a resort ID to get in!

Pros Poly: MK view, water pageant and fireworks at night (MK), main pool (when not filled with non resort guests), staff, tropical theme, big rooms, Tonga Toast, and we will miss the pool bartenders...

Pros BC: Pool, walking to EP and maybe DHS depending on exhaustion level, Boardwalk access, looking forward to a lighter look in the room.

Good luck with your decision! I agree with pp - I don't think you can go wrong. However, I am not a fan of split stays - I just want to unpack and stay put at one place.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri124 View Post
We've stayed at both and both are great resorts, but the Poly would be our choice. We love the Poly for the tropical atmosphere, the rooms are much larger with all rooms having a daybed, the volcano pool is great as it backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle, being on the monorail is convenient for visiting the GF and CR for a variety of dining options, Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals, and the beach is great for watching the fireworks. Also, the Poly is convenient to both MK and Epcot as it's just 2 monorail stops from MK and is a 5-7 walk from the TTC for catching the Epcot monorail.

With all of that said, the BC is also a great resort. As others have posted, if a split stay is an option, that would be a great way to go as it would be the best of both worlds. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I haven't stayed at the BC only YC & BWI our favorite being BWI. We found SAB to be too busy and noisey to our liking.

We are staying at the Poly for the first time this year. You really can't go wrong with either an Epcot Resort(BC) or a Monorail Resort(Poly) but a newly refurbed room at the Poly would sway me over BC

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: