Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
cojo75
Earning My Ears

Port to Tampa

Hi everyone,

I am looking to book our flights. I am going to be flying to/from Tampa instead of Orlando, as the cost is almost half. Problem is the return flight home is only for 215 pm. Do you think this is doable? We will have to leave the port and get a rental car to return back to the airport as well. Last cruise we did this, and flew to/from Orlando, but spent almost an hour waiting for a shuttle back to the car rental place, then an hour to actually get a car. This time, we will not be using the same company...

Let me know if you think that the 215 flight is a good idea, or just too tight....

Thanks!
cojo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

I think it's cutting it close. But possibly do able. It will take you approximately 2.5-3 hours to drive to Tampa and being there 1-1.5 hours ahead of the flight means getting on the road no later than 10 am. So I would get off the ship first thing and give me "room for error". I just don't like to stress but for the price I'd do it.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo75 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking to book our flights. I am going to be flying to/from Tampa instead of Orlando, as the cost is almost half. Problem is the return flight home is only for 215 pm. Do you think this is doable? We will have to leave the port and get a rental car to return back to the airport as well. Last cruise we did this, and flew to/from Orlando, but spent almost an hour waiting for a shuttle back to the car rental place, then an hour to actually get a car. This time, we will not be using the same company...

Let me know if you think that the 215 flight is a good idea, or just too tight....

Thanks!
Well, Tampa is at least one hour further from PC than Orlando is, so keep that in mind. You'll most likely hit quite a bit more traffic going there.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

Walk off with all your luggage between 7-730. We didn't do this but we did walk off right at 730, caught our shuttle to Park n Cruise, and were back home in Tampa at about 10:30am (with a short stop). Make sure you are returning your car AT the airport. The fact that the Tampa airport car rentals are right AT the airport and not via a shuttle will help you here. Should not be a problem...
Old 12-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
rosermama
DIS Veteran

We flew out of Tampa on the 8th of Dec. Our flight was at 2:45 here is how we handled the day:
-got off the ship at 8:20 (we didn't put our luggage out instead we took it off with us, worked pretty well cause we had breakfast at Cabanas and went back and got our luggage)
- got a rental car by 9:30 from Budget
- was ahead of schedule so we stopped at the Polyensian around 10:30 for dole whip
- stopped at the mall by the airport in Tampa for some chick-fil-a around 12:15
- got gas at the gas station by the mall at 1 pm
- drove 3 miles to airport
- husband dropped me, dd and luggage off
- super quick drop off at rental car
- napping in terminal by 1:40

We no real traffic and cause we got off the boat right after the late seaters sat down for breakfast it wasn't too bad. There was a delay getting into the terminal but once we were in we went straight to the line on the right cause you can go to either just look for the shortest. We had to wait maybe 15 mins for the budget bus to come. Luckily my husband jumped out and was the first inside. All in all it wasnt bad at all if you cut out the detour to the Polyensian you should be fine.
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama
We flew out of Tampa on the 8th of Dec. Our flight was at 2:45 here is how we handled the day:
-got off the ship at 8:20 (we didn't put our luggage out instead we took it off with us, worked pretty well cause we had breakfast at Cabanas and went back and got our luggage)
- got a rental car by 9:30 from Budget
- was ahead of schedule so we stopped at the Polyensian around 10:30 for dole whip
- stopped at the mall by the airport in Tampa for some chick-fil-a around 12:15
- got gas at the gas station by the mall at 1 pm
- drove 3 miles to airport
- husband dropped me, dd and luggage off
- super quick drop off at rental car
- napping in terminal by 1:40

We no real traffic and cause we got off the boat right after the late seaters sat down for breakfast it wasn't too bad. There was a delay getting into the terminal but once we were in we went straight to the line on the right cause you can go to either just look for the shortest. We had to wait maybe 15 mins for the budget bus to come. Luckily my husband jumped out and was the first inside. All in all it wasnt bad at all if you cut out the detour to the Polyensian you should be fine.
Follow this lead and you should be good to go. The key is to get off as early as comfortable for you, so you can be in the front of the lines for shuttles and rental cars. Less waiting and more time to enjoy yourselves along the way.

Better yet, if someone is willing to get off as soon as possible and go get the car. Everyone else keep the luggage and wait for the call that they are on the way with the car!

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Barbydoll8
Offical Disney Dork

Tampa

I live on the east coast - about 15 min west of Tampa. You are cutting it close. the other posters got a very fortunate break when it comes to traffic IMO. They are doing fairly new construction on I-275 in Tampa right as I-4 comes into the freeway which can cause a back up.
I have cruised from Canaveral and drove from here and it took about 2 and a half hours. Plan for 3 just in case of traffic.
Barbydoll8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

I live in Tampa, but NE of airport. We were off Fantasy and in our car at PC Sat at 8:55am & in our driveway at 10:50am. We take 528 to I-4 to I-75. You would be taking I-4 until it ends and becomes I-275 directly to the airport. If I were u, I'd plan on 3 hrs but it *should* only take 2 1/2 travel time.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by Silverfox97; 12-18-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97
I live in Tampa, but NE of airport. We were off Fantasy and in our car at PC Sat at 8:55am & in our driveway at 10:50am. We take 528 to I-4 to I-75. You would be taking I-4 until it ends and becomes I-275. If I were u, I'd plan on 3 hrs but it *should* only take 2 1/2 travel time.

We did plan for 3 hrs but because we ddint experience any real delays we were able to stop for lunch. We also planned originally and hour and a half to get off the boat and get the car. Luckily we didn't need it
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama

We did plan for 3 hrs but because we ddint experience any real delays we were able to stop for lunch. We also planned originally and hour and a half to get off the boat and get the car. Luckily we didn't need it
Very good!

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
cojo75
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone. It looks as though we will do the take bags with us, skip breakfast, hail a cab to the rental office and then run like the wind!
cojo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo75
Thanks everyone. It looks as though we will do the take bags with us, skip breakfast, hail a cab to the rental office and then run like the wind!
You will be fine ! You don't need a cab
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

Tif you are a beer drinker hit the Cigar City in the airport! Award winning brewery with a beer they only sell at the airport

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: