Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Randoslap
An Experienced Disney-er

Rethinking Reservations

We are first time cruisers on any cruise line, we have already booked a trip aboard the Disney wonder for July 4, 2013. We have been thinking of rescheduling to a cheaper trip, and/or switching to the wonder. Any thoughts? Also, what would be the cheapest time to go for a family of four 2 Adults & 2 Children (ages 7&14)?
Randoslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoslap View Post
We are first time cruisers on any cruise line, we have already booked a trip aboard the Disney wonder for July 4, 2013. We have been thinking of rescheduling to a cheaper trip, and/or switching to the wonder. Any thoughts? Also, what would be the cheapest time to go for a family of four 2 Adults & 2 Children (ages 7&14)?
Welcome to the DIS! You said switching from the Wonder to the Wonder? What was the alternative? Are you considering Alaska for your cruise? Definitely cooler(!) than the caribbean in July.

Check into two connecting rooms. Or your could do one verandah and an inside cabin across the hall. Often the two rooms are cheaper or close in price to one larger family suite. Two rooms = two bathrooms, t.v.'s, double the storage space, more privacy for everyone.

Any time the kids are out of school, the rates will be higher. But it's hard to pull a teenager out of school, so you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Well, other lines are cheaper. Disney's extras, like free soda, don't cover the dollar difference, but I feel Disney is worth it. The service is better, the staff is happier, and the activities are great.

Our friends cruise Disney a lot. They just tried another line and were shocked to learn that you have to put down a $20 deposit to get a towel by the pool on the other line! None of that nonsense on Disney. Grab yourself 3 towels if you want.

As far as finding the least expensive Disney trip, I use "vacationstogo.com" You can hit "Find a Bargain" and choose Disney cruise line. don't choose any other boxes. hit search, and you will get all Disney cruises through 2014, organized by region and date. Scan down the right column for price, and find the least expensive.

Good luck!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Randoslap
An Experienced Disney-er

Thanks, for the quick reply! My bad, I meant switching from the dream to the wonder. We live in Florida so a cruise that leaves from the state is more convenient. (No Airfare).
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Randoslap
An Experienced Disney-er

Thanks for the website four swampers, I'll be sure to use that. :D
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We booked our cruise for the last week in May, leaving out Memorial Day weekend, the rates were a lot cheaper than June, July, August by several hundred if not a thousand dollars. If your kids get out the Friday before Memorial Day that is a great time to go when the rates are lower.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
Well, other lines are cheaper. Disney's extras, like free soda, don't cover the dollar difference, but I feel Disney is worth it. The service is better, the staff is happier, and the activities are great.

Our friends cruise Disney a lot. They just tried another line and were shocked to learn that you have to put down a $20 deposit to get a towel by the pool on the other line! None of that nonsense on Disney. Grab yourself 3 towels if you want.

As far as finding the least expensive Disney trip, I use "vacationstogo.com" You can hit "Find a Bargain" and choose Disney cruise line. don't choose any other boxes. hit search, and you will get all Disney cruises through 2014, organized by region and date. Scan down the right column for price, and find the least expensive.

Good luck!
Please use the full URL of any website and TA site you are posting about. It should read www.vacationstogo.com

To everyone...please do not be creative when posting a website...just use the full URL.

Thanks,

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, for the quick reply! My bad, I meant switching from the dream to the wonder. We live in Florida so a cruise that leaves from the state is more convenient. (No Airfare).
If you live in Florida and have flexibility, try going on a Florida fare. We were going to go for Thanksgiving, but when I called to book the travel agent suggested the week before for 1/3 the price. My daughter did have to miss 2 days of school, and that is a big deal, but she knows she's not allowed to miss any other school.

When we returned, my other daughter who didn't want to go suddenly did want to go, so I found a Florida rate for a Christmas cruise. We have to go out of Miami and that will cost us more, but still less than paying for a full priced cruise (by a lot!).

Florida rates, military rates, *gv/*ov (usually only available w/i 2-3 months of sailing) are great, but you have to be flexible.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
I say try the Wonder. It's cheaper and you can look forward to a bigger better ship for your 2nd cruise.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Randoslap
An Experienced Disney-er

Thanks for all your tips and advice everyone! I especially give my thanks to JimGA for that tip about the end of may. The prices are alot cheaper! I noticed that as soon as June starts, prices skyrocket.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The cheapest time will be when you can get a Kids Sail Free or Florida Resident special. These come out when the ship is not filling. Summer is expensive, and a holiday week is worse!

If you can cruise in early September of early January/Feb., these tend to be times with great rates. However, keep your eyes open for specials (go to the DCL web site and click on "specials" to see Fl res rates,etc.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGA View Post
We booked our cruise for the last week in May, leaving out Memorial Day weekend, the rates were a lot cheaper than June, July, August by several hundred if not a thousand dollars. If your kids get out the Friday before Memorial Day that is a great time to go when the rates are lower.
We've done 2 cruises & 2 more scheduled (2103 & 2014) and the rates have always been less than the June dates. Also we've found that our DVC points for staying at WDW before & after the cruise are less, I believe the points jumped up starting June 10th.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: