Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

DCL Transfers from Houston Hobby to Galveston....here's the scoop!

We took the DCL transfers round-trip between Houston Hobby airport and the port of Galveston for our December 1st cruise. There wasn't a lot of information on the Dis before our cruise about these transfers, so I am sharing our experience in hopes of helping someone.

I was given a number by our TA to call to confirm our DCL shuttle 48 hours before our trip. I did so (actually 5 days in advance because I was getting kind of excited!) The agent told me to be at the airport by 9:30 a.m. and that the bus would leave at 10:30 a.m.

Here is what actually happened: We flew in the night before and stayed at the Days Inn near Hobby (great place to stay!) In the morning we took the motel shuttle back to Hobby and arrived there at 9:20 a.m. A DCL rep was standing at the motel shuttle drop off. She pointed to a line of people waiting at a mini-bus we had just passed and said "There's your bus. Just go get in line." Our shuttle was an approximately 20 passenger mini-bus marked Houston Medical Center.

We were the last ones to board the mini-bus. It departed Hobby at 9:45 and we arrived at the port of Galveston at 10:30 a.m.

On the return, there was a Departure Info sheet in our cabin that stated transfers back to Hobby would run from 9 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. Once you leave the terminal, head across the lane to where the buses are parked. There will be a DCL rep there to tell you which bus to get on. We were the last people on this bus also, so once the luggage was loaded, we had maybe a 5 minute wait and off we went. This time we had a full size bus. Very comfortable and it played Disney related trivia, cartoons, etc. on the TV monitors. A short 45 minutes later, we were at Hobby airport.

Hope this helps!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
trwprid
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I was poking around the DCL site last night trying to figure out the logistics, but couldn't figure it out.

Really helpful. (And thanks for the Days Inn tip!)
trwprid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Glad this helped!

I read on another thread that DCL is canceling HOU transfers in early 2013 that people already had booked. That doesn't make sense to me.

There seemed to be plenty of people using the HOU transfer for our cruise. We had a full size bus which was full, plus people were lining up for another bus to HOU as ours was leaving.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

I tried to add transfers from HOU to the port for our May 2013 Disney Magic cruise and was told that DCL was not offering transfers.

Woody
woody73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
I tried to add transfers from HOU to the port for our May 2013 Disney Magic cruise and was told that DCL was not offering transfers.

Woody
Hmmmm...interesting. Thanks for posting. We had been informed that transfers would be available from both airports. Something else to consider as we book flights, etc.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
rbw5t
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Hmmmm...interesting. Thanks for posting. We had been informed that transfers would be available from both airports. Something else to consider as we book flights, etc.
My first post! I just booked the May transatlantic, and will likely be flying into IAH. Does Disney offer a transfer? I think it's pretty far, so I'm guessing a cab is not a good choice.

Thanks!
rbw5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

They are only doing transfers from IAH for the transatlantic. Luckily I found this out before booking my flights!
Ladyshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
rbw5t
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
They are only doing transfers from IAH for the transatlantic. Luckily I found this out before booking my flights!
Luckily, I would most likely be coming into IAH anyway. Do you know how much the transfer is per person? Any discount for kids?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw5t View Post
Luckily, I would most likely be coming into IAH anyway. Do you know how much the transfer is per person? Any discount for kids?

Thanks in advance for any info!
We were quoted $30 each way for transfers, but at that time they specified for either airport (looks like that has changed). Children under 3 are free. 3 and over--they take the same seat space, pay the same transfer fee. Note, there is no rule that a 2 year old must lap sit to be free and they do have a seat space. They just don't have to pay.

I just checked prices. Currently IAH is $75 more per person than HOB AND will have luggage fees. Looks like HOB might still end up the best way to go.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
rbw5t
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We were quoted $30 each way for transfers, but at that time they specified for either airport (looks like that has changed). Children under 3 are free. 3 and over--they take the same seat space, pay the same transfer fee. Note, there is no rule that a 2 year old must lap sit to be free and they do have a seat space. They just don't have to pay.

I just checked prices. Currently IAH is $75 more per person than HOB AND will have luggage fees. Looks like HOB might still end up the best way to go.
Thanks so much for the quick response! Very helpful. Ugh, that's expensive. We'll have a 5yr old and a 1yr old, so three people at $105 each ($30 + $75, right?) comes to $315 just to get to the terminal from the airport. Seems crazy!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much for the quick response! Very helpful. Ugh, that's expensive. We'll have a 5yr old and a 1yr old, so three people at $105 each ($30 + $75, right?) comes to $315 just to get to the terminal from the airport. Seems crazy!
Sorry to be confusing.....my $75 was a price difference between a flight to IAH vs. HOB from our home airport.

The transfers we were quoted were $30 each way...but that was a while ago and may not still be valid based on the info that they have decided to not offer HOB transfers for the TA (who knows what else has changed.

Your transfers would be $90 each way based on the info I was given....3 paid guests at $30 each.

I'm going to do some homework and see what the situation is with rental cars and/or car service from HOB....and at some point figure out what we're doing.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
rbw5t
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Sorry to be confusing.....my $75 was a price difference between a flight to IAH vs. HOB from our home airport.

The transfers we were quoted were $30 each way...but that was a while ago and may not still be valid based on the info that they have decided to not offer HOB transfers for the TA (who knows what else has changed.

Your transfers would be $90 each way based on the info I was given....3 paid guests at $30 each.
Ah, my mistake, that sounds much better. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

They are still doing the transfers from IAH. It is 60/pp round trip. I am trying to decide if we will use them or not. Interesting that they said that they do not do transfers from HOU as I was just told a few days ago by concierge that they did. ??? I wanted to fly into HOU as it is a much closer drive but airfare was ridiculous so ended up going with the less expensive IAH option. I will say the whole Galveston thing has been a pain. Wish I had thought it though before purchasing the cruise out of there. This is our first cruse, EVER so we had no idea.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
Tass
Mouseketeer

We had Disney ground transfers booked from/to Hobby for our Feb. 15th cruise out of Galveston. We got an email from Disney yesterday refunding our transfers. DH called DCL today and was told it was a computer glitch. The refund was removed from our account and the transfers are now showing up on our itinerary again. I sure hope we don't arrive at the airport only to find out it really wasn't a computer glitch!
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
My first post! I just booked the May transatlantic, and will likely be flying into IAH. Does Disney offer a transfer? I think it's pretty far, so I'm guessing a cab is not a good choice.

Thanks!
Disney does offer transfers from IAH. They are $30 pp one way. If you are flying in the night before and planning to stay at the IAH Marriott either through Disney or on your own, they will transfer you from the hotel to the port.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: