Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #166
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcaks & Booze, Running PHM

Oh Ann...where do I begin with this whole race thing...you already know a lot of my thoughts...

1. I hope that I can jump up and down after the race...and really celebrate the accomplishment. I just wish that you could have enjoyed some of the party!

2. As for the bus scene, well she is a grown woman and frankly you are not her mom...she should of been able to take care of herself. You were way more of a friend than I would have been...I would have been doing the touring plan pout while she was losing her tummy. I would have gone along on the bus, but you can guess my attitude would been much different then yours!

3. Not sprint to the finish line, REALLY? Okay, I am probably going to be crawling by this point but you can bet my crawl is going to be a fast crawl.

4. The medal is important to me...I need that little reminder that I did something, I accomplished something. I envy you for being intrinscally motivated. I plan to show that puppy off to anyone who will look at it!

AND BTW...I DONT WANT TO RUN WITH YOU EITHER! You go run your race, collect all our bags from the bag check area...have a nice drink, and wait for me! Then it is party all night...stay up until our flights home...and die on the plane away from each other!
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #167
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcaks & Booze, Running PHM

By the way...I love the picture of Zoe and her medal. She wears it well! Such a dang cutie!
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #168
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

OMG! The picture of Zoe with her medal is too cute! She is cute as a button!

And how adorable that your older girls wanted to watch the diaper dash! How cute!

As far as the race: I am very sorry that you had to lose a friend over something so silly. It is obvious that she did not prepare in the same way you did. However, if she was experiencing heatstroke or heat exhaustion maybe it would've been best if SHE left the race and let you continue. It seems like that may have been the reason she was so ill. It shouldn't have been up to you to diagnose and treat her, a medic should've been called in way before the finish line.

We saw so many people 'falling' all over the park that night. The medics were everywhere (on bikes!).
DH and I trained for 12min miles and with the heat we ended up at 13min miles. I was HAPPY with that. And while I would've been happy to finish at all, to finish with a 17min pace, with no real known injury, would've been a bummer. Sorry you had to experience that.

Good luck in your future races. Dh and I will not be doing ToT again. We aren't planning on going at that time this year and BTW, did you see the price?? Ugh!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #169
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

That's me, that's me!!

That's me in the middle!!

Woohoo! It was great meeting you both...but what is this that I read...you aren't talking to B anymore? but aren't you both running the PHM soon? Sorry to hear that...I am sure you both will have a great run and a fantastic time at WDW regardless. I am so Jealous of your upcoming trip! Be sure to post some pictures on Facebook!! The picture of Zoe is priceless. Great job Zoe!

I am still amazed that you just started running and are now officially a "runner". I tried to start running again, but then my knee hurt, and the orthopedist said I can't just go from being a non-runner to a runner. "But other people have done it!!" I said...but I guess I am not other people, meaning I am not you.

Can't wait to read more...especially the day of our dismeet at the castle before we had to leave.
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #170
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I wonder, it is possible she did put on the same amount of time. You'll never know. But if she isn't a type A, improving her own times may simply not have been the motivator for her that maybe it was for you? I see this with our kids, training equally but one improving more at a quicker pace be it running, hiking, swimming whatever. Part natural ability I think but part internal passion and push. If you are motivated to beat yourself, you will but if your goal is different you might put in that same amount of time but never really push and yet still feel you are doing what you should be doing. Is the slower kid working as hard as the faster? To me, the mom, often not but boy he sure thinks he is and I have to respect that. Seriously I could see your exact scenario if my 2 boys tried to train and run together. Who all are you running with for the phm?
I think you are exactly right! Other than she is type A with a lot of things... but yes, her motivation was not to worry about time or even distance. It was to have fun and see characters that normally one doesn't get to see in the parks. I did know this, so it is on me that I didn't realize that she wouldn't be quite as prepared. Pretty sure thought that she also knew I didn't want to get swept and also that I was improving upon my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Who all are you running with for the phm?
I am running solo for the phm. I really wish that B had been ok with us going "together" and hanging out until it was time to move to corrals... then running and then meeting at the end. I think we both would have had a much better experience... and yet would have still had fun since we would have been there together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanrose73 View Post
Congrats on the race! I'm not a runner, but I'd like to be one day!

Seriously, if I can start at 42 and never ran before... I think ANYONE can. Just start slow... and be consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
Oh Ann...where do I begin with this whole race thing...you already know a lot of my thoughts...

1. I hope that I can jump up and down after the race...and really celebrate the accomplishment. I just wish that you could have enjoyed some of the party!
I wish that we could have enjoyed the party. However, the fun of the party would have been to enjoy it with B and since she couldn't go... then Not to mention it was late.

Quote:
2. As for the bus scene, well she is a grown woman and frankly you are not her mom...she should of been able to take care of herself. You were way more of a friend than I would have been...I would have been doing the touring plan pout while she was losing her tummy. I would have gone along on the bus, but you can guess my attitude would been much different then yours!
I know she was pretty mad at me by the time we got on the bus. I think she misunderstood some of the things I said. I mentioned that I didn't run the race because of the medal... but the wording involved me saying it wasn't that important to me. Well... honestly it is and it isn't. It isn't the REASON... but I still want to keep it nice and such. Do I need to display it or wear it though? No. However it isnt that it I find it "unimportant" So I was feeling bad and wanted to try my best to make her happy.
Quote:
3. Not sprint to the finish line, REALLY? Okay, I am probably going to be crawling by this point but you can bet my crawl is going to be a fast crawl.
She did run across... she just didn't want to run with me when I broke off. Now...was that because she was quite done with me pushing her and wanted to take back some control? Maybe. Then again, maybe she just needed that little bit more of a break.

Quote:

4. The medal is important to me...I need that little reminder that I did something, I accomplished something. I envy you for being intrinscally motivated. I plan to show that puppy off to anyone who will look at it!
Isn't it funny how we can all have different motivations? I like the medal...dont' get me wrong. However, would it surprise you I don't wear a wedding ring? Not because I don't think they are important or beautiful... but when Alex was an infant, I was holding him and a prong on my ring snagged on his blanket or sweater..something knit.... and it broke and out flew my diamond. Well, I just have never been motivated to replace it. Someday... maybe... who knows. It isn't that "important" to me. Yet...it isn't an unimportant thing. Does that make sense? AND I can certainly appreciate how some brides would be heartbroken to lose theirs (do you remember Kira losing her engagement ring? )

Quote:
AND BTW...I DONT WANT TO RUN WITH YOU EITHER! You go run your race, collect all our bags from the bag check area...have a nice drink, and wait for me! Then it is party all night...stay up until our flights home...and die on the plane away from each other!
But you know it isn't that I don't want to run with you, right? I just want to not hold you up... or drag you along... within reason. I mean... honestly slowing my pace by a minute or two isn't a huge deal.... I don't think there was a full disclosure from B on what her pace truly was and how far she actually had run...other than that 10k that she did... but I am not sure if I can trust that time or not.

Quote:
By the way...I love the picture of Zoe and her medal. She wears it well! Such a dang cutie!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
OMG! The picture of Zoe with her medal is too cute! She is cute as a button!
Thanks! I always think she is cute...except I guess when she is being a stinker!

Quote:

And how adorable that your older girls wanted to watch the diaper dash! How cute!
Amanda and her mom have been after Kira and Josh...cause they are baby hungry. Kira is to some degree... but give her a puppy and she will be just as happy.

Quote:
As far as the race: I am very sorry that you had to lose a friend over something so silly. It is obvious that she did not prepare in the same way you did. However, if she was experiencing heatstroke or heat exhaustion maybe it would've been best if SHE left the race and let you continue. It seems like that may have been the reason she was so ill. It shouldn't have been up to you to diagnose and treat her, a medic should've been called in way before the finish line.
I am not sure if it was the heat that made her ill. I believe she was taking in fluids and also eating a ton of beans. She definitely didn't feel well though... I know I made her run for at least 30 seconds at a time. I am not sure she was up to that in her training.... so I think that had more to do with her being ill.

Quote:
We saw so many people 'falling' all over the park that night. The medics were everywhere (on bikes!).
I suspect that a lot of people were under prepared. Add in that heat...and the fact that along with some of that being unprepared also involves a lack of understanding nutrition (ie. hydration and electrolyte balancing) and it is a bad combination. I also think that many thought that there would be a character at each mile. I can't remember now, but I believe that B thought we would be stopping at each mile for quite a substantial time. Well, if you assume you will be walk/running only a mile at a time and then breaking for..???? I think it would make it easy to not realize how much training one will actually need.

Quote:
DH and I trained for 12min miles and with the heat we ended up at 13min miles. I was HAPPY with that. And while I would've been happy to finish at all, to finish with a 17min pace, with no real known injury, would've been a bummer. Sorry you had to experience that.
I have to be honest it wasn't 17 minutes... 16: something... more than 16:30 but less than 17. Between the heat and the stops I was thinking about 13 minutes per mile. (so just over 2 hours) B was thinking between stops it would be more like 4 hours total. I remember talking with a couple before the race and B and I were kinda arguing back and forth with me saying... they won't hold the course open that long... it goes beyond the pace requirement. B insisted they would. The couple was shocked and I remember needing to discreetly get them to stop because it appeared to be making B upset. The started going on saying "who takes that long to run 10 miles?" They caught on quick enough though and stopped "making fun" of someone who would take that long.

Quote:

Good luck in your future races. Dh and I will not be doing ToT again. We aren't planning on going at that time this year and BTW, did you see the price?? Ugh!
I am excited to do it again. I like the night run. The characters while were few and far between...were enough for me. And the after party...well, I really would like to try that.

I did see the prices are up. Not sure why... even the kids race is up 50%/

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
That's me in the middle!!

It is you!
Quote:
Woohoo! It was great meeting you both...but what is this that I read...you aren't talking to B anymore? but aren't you both running the PHM soon? Sorry to hear that...I am sure you both will have a great run and a fantastic time at WDW regardless. I am so Jealous of your upcoming trip! Be sure to post some pictures on Facebook!! The picture of Zoe is priceless. Great job Zoe!
It was fun meeting you too! Yes, though... sadly B stopped talking to me. I knew she was irritated at the race. And while I haven't got any further in my TR... we really didn't spend as much time together after the race as I originally thought we would. Once we got home she was avoidy... finally there was some confronting and in the end, I unfriended her from facebook.... So I took the last step in ending our friendship... not her. We are both running the phm... but not together. And while we were suppose to stay together... I am not even certain I know where she is staying (she had two reservations booked at one time) I will make sure to post some pictures... mainly of Zoe, I am sure... so I am glad that you like the picture of her.

Quote:
I am still amazed that you just started running and are now officially a "runner". I tried to start running again, but then my knee hurt, and the orthopedist said I can't just go from being a non-runner to a runner. "But other people have done it!!" I said...but I guess I am not other people, meaning I am not you.

Can't wait to read more...especially the day of our dismeet at the castle before we had to leave. [/COLOR][/FONT]
I started slow. In the last year... I have gone from struggling to walk a mile to being able to run it to being able to run over 10 miles...all while I have seen my pace improve. I know that some people do a walk/run method and it really works for them. Maybe it would for you? Start with running 10 seconds and then walking. You could even walk in the minutes range and leave the running in the seconds. The program I started with had me at 1 minutes runs and then 1.5 minute walks. First time out... 15 minutes. That first one was on May 4th of last year! So I agree with your doc... can't go from nonrunner to runner overnight... it is a slow process.... and yes, I think for some it goes more quickly. I just do not think I am one of those that it went quickly for.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #171
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo
Oh Ann...where do I begin with this whole race thing...you already know a lot of my thoughts..

LOL she knows ALL our thoughts on this whole race thing!

And I like that plan for our last night. Who needs sleep when we still will have time to spend together before having to say good bye Sunday!!!
lilpixiebabe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #172
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

9/30 - Day 6 Part 1

So after the race I was in bed by 4am. I assumed I would sleep in past the girls and so the plan was they would continue to have Zoe. Then when I woke I would go to breakfast by myself.

I woke a bit later than I wanted and the girls had not even left yet

I do think they left before me, but not by much. I was out the door by about 9:30am...maybe a bit later. I realized that I was going to have a hard time making it to my 10:30 breakfast if I used Disney transportation. So I went outside and the door man motioned to a cab and voila my coach was at my feet in a moment.

I got in and had an interesting ride with a driver who could not have been any more anti disney. He came to the states and became a citizen long before WDW took over the area. He told me how all the non citizens working at WDW get paid nothing and take away jobs from actual residents. He went on about how I should buy anything in the parks to support this horrible entity. I just listened and nodded and told him how "no, of course... I don't buy many souvenirs"

Luckily the ride was over soon and I arrived here.

My ADR was for

This is one of my favorite areas in all of WDW. I love how quiet this was even though it was not that early in the morning.

This is definitely on my "someday" list.

I was seated in a table for two and had an amazing server. He was attentive and never made me feel odd that I was alone.

I had coffee... first thing was COFFEE!

Then I had this.

I can't tell you how much my body craved it. It was the perfect portions of salt, protein and carbs...and a little iron added in from the spinach. I think this is the best post race breakfast EVER!

Meanwhile the girls did a little shopping in the gift shop at POFQ. Poor Kira didn't know again she was being "watched". Amanda was quick to recognize and scooted her and Zoe out of the gift shop and on their way to AK. Not entirely sure why none of them could just say

About the time I was done with breakfast, the girls were having a panic attack on the bus. Partially because again my dd was thrown by not knowing someone was lurking and watching her every move... but also because in the rush to get out of the room so that I could get to my ADR and then the rush to get out of the gift shop... Amanda had left her KTTWC behind add in the fact that there had been one bus snafu after another (yes, keep in mind I had time to eat all of my breakfast and they still had not arrived at AK) and Kira was a wreck.

I was feeling pretty zen though... running tends to do that to me...and the breakfast added to my calm mood. I just told the girls to sit tight and I would be to AK as soon as possible. Then we could go to guest services and have a new card made up. This seemed to be a much better alternative to them traveling back to the room (since I was already on a bus by the time we decided this).

I arrived at AK and we told the cm at the gate that we needed to go in with her to have her KTTWC replaced. Since I was the main guest on the reservation I had to do it. The line was a bit long, but we got through it in not a lot of time and Amanda had a brand new KTTWC. The cm even put a Mickey head on the back so we could tell the difference between the new and old one.

Now at this point I don't remember anything. Seriously.. nothing. Was I abducted or something? I know that we spent the day in AK and that at some point we watched Flights of Wonder. Little miss Zoe was invited up even though she was not quite old enough. She was AWESOME! Spoke right into the mic and said her name clearly. She then went on to "battle" against the bird to show how well she knows her arithmetic. Of course the silly bird beat her to the answer each time. She was so cute. Each time she almost stopped her foot. The last answer she about jumped the gun because she was not going to let that bird beat her.

I did video tape all of it... but the only picture I got?

Impressive, no?

I know we had an early lunch since the girls had not really had a meal. Here, I skipped and paid out of pocket for a salad since I was not hungry. Kinda wish I had just skipped it all together since I was not impressed by my salad.

The girls got

Zoe got

I also got another random picture this day. It must be inside Yak and Yeti. Yes?

I have in my itinerary that we were going to watch the Nemo musical... but I think we waited for another day... Again... where was I???

The park did not stay open very late which worked out fine since we had a party to get to.

Up Next 9/30 - Day 6 Part 2

Last edited by annmarieda; 03-08-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #173
swwake
RIP our sweet Magic (09/27/10)

I am guessing you were probably more tired than you think - which is why you may not remember all of that day.

I am confused about the watcher in the gift shop thing. Maybe I missed something?

I got all caught up yesterday, then again this morning. Still enjoying the report!

Visit my travel blog: Oh, the Places We'll Go!
December 2011 PTR September 2010 Trip Report Oasis of the Seas Cruise TR Las Vegas TR
1974, 1983, 1987, 1989 off property * 1988 DL * 1989 Premiere Cruise & Disney * 1997 ASMu * 1998 CBR * 2000 DL * 2008 BC * 2010 AKL CL * 2011 Poly CL * 2013 CBR
swwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #174
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

Oh man the watcher in the gift shop.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #175
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwake
I am guessing you were probably more tired than you think - which is why you may not remember all of that day.

I am confused about the watcher in the gift shop thing. Maybe I missed something?

I got all caught up yesterday, then again this morning. Still enjoying the report!
I am sure you are right! I think I got 4 or 5 hours of sleep... So that would explain my memory loss.

As for the watcher... Sorry if what I wrote was confusing. B showed up and (according to Amanda) followed them through the gift shop close enough that she knew B was there... But was always"behind" the next rack or display. Since each time she looked at B, B appeared to be watching them - she decided to just get Kira and Zoe out of the gift shop without saying anything to B. personally, I am not sure why B wouldn't say hello or why Amanda didn't let B know she was aware of he presence. I never did ask B if she was aware that the girls knew she was there......
Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #176
MEK
DIS Veteran

Your breakfast at Kouzzina looks so YUMMY!!!!!!!!! I love, love, love feta cheese and spinach so that is right up my alley.

Beautiful pictures of the Boardwalk.

Yeah for Zoe getting picked for Birds of Flight. That is a really cool show!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #177
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK
Your breakfast at Kouzzina looks so YUMMY!!!!!!!!! I love, love, love feta cheese and spinach so that is right up my alley.

Beautiful pictures of the Boardwalk.

Yeah for Zoe getting picked for Birds of Flight. That is a really cool show!
I am not sure if it was how tired I was or how hungry.. But that is probably my all time favorite breakfast I have ever had!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #178
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101
Oh man the watcher in the gift shop.
I think some people have a hard time stepping out of their comfort zone and making the "first move" when saying hello. I just kinda hope that was the reason that neither B or Amanda said anything.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #179
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

Like tammie said a few posts back, I love knowing all the behind the scenes details.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: