Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
FoundinWonderland
Still spinning from the mad tea party...

Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean - Port Adventure Suggestions! (adults)

In exactly one week I will be boarding the Disney Fantasy with a rowdy cast of (aldult- yet young at heart) characters and we need suggestions for shore excursions. We're all a bit older so we're looking for something fun to do, that has adventure/relaxation/or comes highly recommended!

The destinations:
Costa Maya
Cozumel
Grand Cayman

The cast:
DM
DD
DD-24 (<--myself)
DD-21
DS-18
DCousin-20
DCousin-25

Please help us! We have never been to these ports and greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks!
FoundinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundinWonderland View Post
In exactly one week I will be boarding the Disney Fantasy with a rowdy cast of (aldult- yet young at heart) characters and we need suggestions for shore excursions. We're all a bit older so we're looking for something fun to do, that has adventure/relaxation/or comes highly recommended!

The destinations:
Costa Maya
Cozumel
Grand Cayman

The cast:
DM
DD
DD-24 (<--myself)
DD-21
DS-18
DCousin-20
DCousin-25

Please help us! We have never been to these ports and greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks!
Our favorite excursion on our Fantasy Western was the ATV Jungle/Beach Adventure in Costa Maya. We ATV'd through the jungle for about 30 minutes, took a water break, then ATV'd along the coast another 20 minutes or so, took another short break for pictures, then 10 minutes back to their HQ on the beach for about an hour of beach time, free salsa & chips, and cash bar. It is definitely a lot of fun if you're up for an active excursion.
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
FoundinWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel

Our favorite excursion on our Fantasy Western was the ATV Jungle/Beach Adventure in Costa Maya. We ATV'd through the jungle for about 30 minutes, took a water break, then ATV'd along the coast another 20 minutes or so, took another short break for pictures, then 10 minutes back to their HQ on the beach for about an hour of beach time, free salsa & chips, and cash bar. It is definitely a lot of fun if you're up for an active excursion.
Thanks! I will defiantly look into that. Do you have any suggestions for Costa Maya?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
jodical
Mouseketeer

If you aren't claustrophobic, I highly recommend the Rio Secreto excursion in Cozumel. You are given a wet suit and a headlamp and your guide hikes you down into a cenote (underground water caves). The views are stunning and there are photo ops both in and out of the water. It's only "tight" in a few, brief places but it 1s very unique... and spiritual when they have you sit in the dark shallow water and just breathe and free your mind. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I have pictures of us swimming in the caves and standing in front of some very interesting rock sculptures that they had specially lit for the tours. It is definitely one of my top 5 "moments".

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
FoundinWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodical
If you aren't claustrophobic, I highly recommend the Rio Secreto excursion in Cozumel. You are given a wet suit and a headlamp and your guide hikes you down into a cenote (underground water caves). The views are stunning and there are photo ops both in and out of the water. It's only "tight" in a few, brief places but it 1s very unique... and spiritual when they have you sit in the dark shallow water and just breathe and free your mind. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I have pictures of us swimming in the caves and standing in front of some very interesting rock sculptures that they had specially lit for the tours. It is definitely one of my top 5 "moments".
That sounds stunning- thank you the suggestion! When did you go? Did you book it through Disney?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
penguins_fan
Mouseketeer

Last May, we took our group of 20 to Nohoch Kay Costa Maya Beach Break Experience, booked outside of DCL thru Island Marketing. Link is http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com/
We had a great day, Jaime (pronounced Hymie) is a great host, staff was great. We did all inclusive food and bar for $40 adult and $20 kids. You will get your money's worth, even with the relatively short port time. Atmosphere is family, not rowdy, beach masseuse very reasonable and high quality. The beach is nice, though not as nice as GC or Cozumel, generally true for CM. Look on cruise critic boards, under Costa Maya, you'll find lots of feedback from cruisers. I think they only take 40 people per day to keep the service levels high. It sounds too good to be true but it was just as presented. You need to take short cab ride, couple bucks pp each way. Enjoy!
penguins_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
3Adevas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundinWonderland

The destinations:
Costa Maya
Cozumel
Grand Cayman

The cast:
DM
DD
DD-24 (<--myself)
DD-21
DS-18
DCousin-20
DCousin-25

Thanks!
We are just off the Fantasy on Saturday!

We snorkeled and swam with stingrays thru Moby Dick Tours in Grand Cayman- once in a lifetime experience in my opinion and they water is soooo beautiful! Costa maya was a nice little place. i think the excursion depends on what you want to do...we did the Mayan Ruins tour thru Native Choice. It was about a 10 min walk thru the little port village to their place where we boarded a small air conditioned bus it was us and 2 other families. It was an hour ride to get there and they provided us cold water and your guide talked to us along the way. Native Choice guides kept us away from the large groups of Disney people and we got tons of pictures with no strangers in background hehehe. On the way back we passed a lot of the big greyhound size busses with the big groups of Disney excursion folks LoL! If you like nature and history you will enjoy the ruins excursion but it will take your entire time in port-maybe a little time to spare looking around the souvenir shops and grabbing a snack. We had a bonus day, as we were originally only scheduled in port from 1245 until 530pm but we found out the night before that our all aboard time was extended to 100am!!!

If you want to just relax in Costa Maya, as soon as you walk across the pier there is a little village (and that is about all there is at this port if you are not doing an excursion) with shopping and a swimming pool and bars. The pool is free. I heard others rave about going to a resort called Tropicante for a beach day and they have a website you can review to check them out as an option.

We had planned on taking a taxi to Chankanaab national park in Cozumel but we had a mix of rain and clouds so just ended up exploring the port shopping around and walked to margaritaville where we swam and did water toys-for free and they even provided towels and life jackets We sat on the deck and could see our ship as we bounced on the trampoline and played in the water. I did hear others raving about the secret river tour in Cozumel but we travel with a 3 year old so decided against that one.
Enjoy whatever you decide!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
FoundinWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_fan
Last May, we took our group of 20 to Nohoch Kay Costa Maya Beach Break Experience, booked outside of DCL thru Island Marketing. Link is http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com/
We had a great day, Jaime (pronounced Hymie) is a great host, staff was great. We did all inclusive food and bar for $40 adult and $20 kids. You will get your money's worth, even with the relatively short port time. Atmosphere is family, not rowdy, beach masseuse very reasonable and high quality. The beach is nice, though not as nice as GC or Cozumel, generally true for CM. Look on cruise critic boards, under Costa Maya, you'll find lots of feedback from cruisers. I think they only take 40 people per day to keep the service levels high. It sounds too good to be true but it was just as presented. You need to take short cab ride, couple bucks pp each way. Enjoy!
Thank you for the information-- it looks like there's some good options for Grand Carmen on this site too! What was the age range of your party?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
FoundinWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Adevas

We are just off the Fantasy on Saturday!

We snorkeled and swam with stingrays thru Moby Dick Tours in Grand Cayman- once in a lifetime experience in my opinion and they water is soooo beautiful! Costa maya was a nice little place. i think the excursion depends on what you want to do...we did the Mayan Ruins tour thru Native Choice. It was about a 10 min walk thru the little port village to their place where we boarded a small air conditioned bus it was us and 2 other families. It was an hour ride to get there and they provided us cold water and your guide talked to us along the way. Native Choice guides kept us away from the large groups of Disney people and we got tons of pictures with no strangers in background hehehe. On the way back we passed a lot of the big greyhound size busses with the big groups of Disney excursion folks LoL! If you like nature and history you will enjoy the ruins excursion but it will take your entire time in port-maybe a little time to spare looking around the souvenir shops and grabbing a snack. We had a bonus day, as we were originally only scheduled in port from 1245 until 530pm but we found out the night before that our all aboard time was extended to 100am!!!

If you want to just relax in Costa Maya, as soon as you walk across the pier there is a little village (and that is about all there is at this port if you are not doing an excursion) with shopping and a swimming pool and bars. The pool is free. I heard others rave about going to a resort called Tropicante for a beach day and they have a website you can review to check them out as an option.

We had planned on taking a taxi to Chankanaab national park in Cozumel but we had a mix of rain and clouds so just ended up exploring the port shopping around and walked to margaritaville where we swam and did water toys-for free and they even provided towels and life jackets We sat on the deck and could see our ship as we bounced on the trampoline and played in the water. I did hear others raving about the secret river tour in Cozumel but we travel with a 3 year old so decided against that one.
Enjoy whatever you decide!
Wow - I hope you had an amazing time on your cruise! Any pointers on things not to be missed?
These excursions sound wonderful- I am defiantly going to look more into the Native Choice and Moby Dick tours. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
penguins_fan
Mouseketeer

While we ranged from 10-81, we had 4 sets of parents ranging from mid 40s-50s and 8 of our adult aged kids ranging from 18-28. We also had 2 15 yr olds. Everyone loved it. The 18 year olds especially enjoyed legal margaritas! They have some non motorized boats, hobbies cat and kayaks, there was a fly fishing guide available too. They can also arrang jet skis for you I think. They also control the beach 'vendors' so you aren't bothered. We didnt think much of the port area as a place to spend the day, there is a big pool and it's surrounded by stores and shopping stalls, you will get lots of sales pitches. We did pass thru on our way back and did some shopping, we like to patronize these places though we don't like the sales pitches all day, even though it's understandable and people without many options trying to make a living.

Look up Nohoch Kay's Facebook page, you'll get a good feel for it!
penguins_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
cdndisney
Earning My Ears

We did the Island Tour and Stingray City in Grand Cayman. It was a blast. I can't recommend Stingray City enough. Something you need to do atleast once.
cdndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
FoundinWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdndisney View Post
We did the Island Tour and Stingray City in Grand Cayman. It was a blast. I can't recommend Stingray City enough. Something you need to do atleast once.

Defiantly sounds amazing! Any tour you would recommend?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodical View Post
I completly agree with this...do it !
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
FrankF
Earning My Ears

My wife and I did the Bike-Kayak excursion in Costa Maya. It was great!
FrankF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #15
jodical
Mouseketeer

Re: Rio Secreto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundinWonderland View Post
That sounds stunning- thank you the suggestion! When did you go? Did you book it through Disney?
I did not do the tour through Disney as I had done it a few years ago while staying in Cancun on a girlfriends' weekend. I know Disney does offer the tour. I was there in the month of November in 2008.

Our first Disney cruise was last month and we tried to stay together as much as possible because we were celebrating both my parents' and in-laws' 40th Anniversaries. If we had been on our own, I would have taken my husband for sure!

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: