Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #766
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I'm still a Cochran fan. He loves the game of Survivor. He realizes his physical limitations in this game (hence his joy when he won individual immunity), so he has to play strategically. Voting off Brenda last night was a brilliant strategic move. Yes, it was cold and calculating, but Cochran knew that now that there are so few left, he's on the chopping block.

Yep, Brenda forgot it was a game, and she allowed her heart to make the decision to give up her reward so the others could spend time with their loved ones. I guess Brenda thought the good will she earned by giving up the reward would follow through the vote at tribal council, but she let down her guard and didn't think that the others would still be thinking strategy rather than "aw, Brenda's such a nice girl, let's keep her around."

I'm hoping Cochran wins the million. Although if the final 3 are Cochran, Erik and Eddie, it could be close. I could maybe see Eddie winning just for the fact that he lasted to the end, not because of anything he did.

I completely agree with you! Cochran is playing an excellent game. This was the time time to get rid of Brenda because she is a huge threat in the challenges and if she made it to the final 3 she would have taken it for sure. I don't see Cochran as a bad guy at all. He is a master of the intricacies of the game and seems to know when to make a move and when not to. I don't see him as cocky or getting too big for his britches at all. He's a very smart player.

Dawn is a hot mess and my guess they are keeping her around knowing that she would be a throwaway at the final 3. If Cochran continues to play the way he is and takes Dawn and Sherrie with him, he'll win for sure.

As for Brenda, yeah it sucks that she went, especially after giving up her reward but it was a very smart move. I think as we watch and get invested with players and their emotions (and ours) we tend to forget it's a game. Not only is it a game, it's Survivor. One of the most cut-throat games out there. Brenda is smart and strong and could easily have won the remaining immunity challenges. Everyone knows that if she made it to the final 3, they wouldn't have a chance. On their end it was a very smart move, no doubt about it. Let your emotions run the game and you're done!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #767
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

OMGrandma, that was COLD BLOODED!!!!!!! I think that may have changed those types of challenges forever, I for one if I played and won that challenge and was offered to option to let everyone else have the reward I would totally cite that episdoe and say well Brenda proved that these kind of moves do NOT work, so sorry guys, I'm taking the reward.

I think it would have been respectful to at least wait one more night to do that. Doing it the exact same day was just cold. They certainly will not be getting Brenda's vote. Funny they didn't let Eddie in on their plan.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #768
lucas
°o°

I'm pulling for Cochran, too.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #769
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
OMGrandma, that was COLD BLOODED!!!!!!! I think that may have changed those types of challenges forever, I for one if I played and won that challenge and was offered to option to let everyone else have the reward I would totally cite that episdoe and say well Brenda proved that these kind of moves do NOT work, so sorry guys, I'm taking the reward.

I think it would have been respectful to at least wait one more night to do that. Doing it the exact same day was just cold. They certainly will not be getting Brenda's vote. Funny they didn't let Eddie in on their plan.
And if Brenda had won the next immunity challenge, then what?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #770
TheAviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
You know...I know they're all stressed out and hungry etc, but they all FREAK OUT over their loved ones like they haven't seen them in MONTHS. Have these people never been away from home for an extended period of time?? I had to go away for almost a month overseas for work (physically exhausting, and emotionally draining work) and while I missed my DH terribly and was inncommunicado for just about all of it, I wasn't a blubbering mess at the airport when he picked me up. Besides that, ALL of them are going home in 5 days when the game ends.

Call me a cynic but sheesh.
I agree I find it odd too. I'm not a huge fan of that challenge. I actually do tear up a little it is touching. But it also seems way overboard like you said. YOu would think they all just got rescued from the hands of terrorists and had been away for years. Maybe that game just breaks you down so low, that it is that emotional.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #771
TheAviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
And if Brenda had won the next immunity challenge, then what?
I guess I'm just not as cut throat as you probably need to be to play that game. But now they have ruined their chances of getting Brendas vote, but maybe they don't care and/or don't need it. But it was just still cold.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #772
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I wonder if Erik knew what the others were doing and voted apart from them so he could say at the end if he makes it to the final 3 that he never turned on her?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #773
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
I guess I'm just not as cut throat as you probably need to be to play that game. But now they have ruined their chances of getting Brendas vote, but maybe they don't care and/or don't need it. But it was just still cold.

I agree with you. Brenda made a play that many if them do in that spot, give something up so the others will get a reward. You do that hoping that it buys you some support. The others looked at it the other way and felt it made her look to good and a big threat so they voted her out. It is a gamble for both sides but proobably a bigger gamble for those who voted her out. Since they were all in an alliance and they had one person left who was not in their alliance, they probably lost her vote (Dawn for sure, maybe not Cochrane).
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #774
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Was it cold, sure. But for Cochran it was necessary to get further. Dawn not so much, bad choice on her part.

As far as the emotions, I don't think playing survivor is comparible to traveling for work. You are on an island with a bunch of people you barely know with not a lot to do during the day, you don't sleep well, you are hungry, and you are paranoid about staying in the game. Your loved one gives you a sense of grounding. I do agree it is over the top sometimes though.

Now as far as who can win, here is the order in which I rank them, feel free to disagree.

1. Cochran - I think if he makes it to the final he has a good shot to beat anybody. Everyone knows he is a huge fan of the game, and understands strategy. He has made bonds, but none really tight other than Dawn. He should take Dawn and Sherri to give him the best chance.

2. Eric - Playing under the radar, is likeable, and hasn't really burned anyone. Big strike against him is lack of strategy, just seems to go where the wind blows him.

3. Eddie - If he makes it to the finals, Reynold and Michael are sure to vote for him, maybe Malcolm as well. Not sure how many others would vote for him though. He hasn't really don'e well in challenges, and is only there because nobody sees him as a big threat.

4 - Sherri - Little chance she wins no matter who she is in the finals with unless she can make a compelling case that changes someones vote. Hasn't done much strategically other than go with the stronger players ideas.

5 - Dawn - Like Vince McMahons theme song says, "No chance, that's what you got..." Turning on Dawn like that after she has helped you out in the game pretty much took any shot Dawn had of winning away. If I am one of the other 4 I am taking Dawn along with me.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Daddy_of_Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #775
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

I can understand Cochran and Sherry voting for Brenda, its a game and she needed to go. But Dawn turning on her was cold, they supposedly had a real bond. Remember Dawn's I'll never turn on Brenda declaration after she found Dawn's teeth? It just seemed like such a cold move on Dawn's part, like trading friendship for money. But I think it's going to back fire on Dawn big time, she said she made the mistake of letting Cochran dictate her game last time and yet she just followed him again. I think Cochran has this game won, if he can make it to the final 3.

I don't think Erik had a clue and I bet he's going to be really upset.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #776
TheAviator

Yes on second thought, it was really just a dumb and cold play for Dawn, not so much Cochran. I forgot that he really thought Brenda was going to be gunning for him and it was her or him kind of thing. But yes I don't think Dawn will be able to live that down. She will be branded as a villian at this point. She could have said, I just can't vote for Brenda now, but I totally support you. I can vote for her next time or something. It makes her look like a horrible person after what Brenda did for her on more than one occassion, not just finding her false teeth.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #777
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
I completely agree with you! Cochran is playing an excellent game. This was the time time to get rid of Brenda because she is a huge threat in the challenges and if she made it to the final 3 she would have taken it for sure. I don't see Cochran as a bad guy at all. He is a master of the intricacies of the game and seems to know when to make a move and when not to. I don't see him as cocky or getting too big for his britches at all. He's a very smart player.

Dawn is a hot mess and my guess they are keeping her around knowing that she would be a throwaway at the final 3. If Cochran continues to play the way he is and takes Dawn and Sherrie with him, he'll win for sure.

As for Brenda, yeah it sucks that she went, especially after giving up her reward but it was a very smart move. I think as we watch and get invested with players and their emotions (and ours) we tend to forget it's a game. Not only is it a game, it's Survivor. One of the most cut-throat games out there. Brenda is smart and strong and could easily have won the remaining immunity challenges. Everyone knows that if she made it to the final 3, they wouldn't have a chance. On their end it was a very smart move, no doubt about it. Let your emotions run the game and you're done!

I have much more issue with Dawn voting out Brenda than I do Cochran for some reason
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #778
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post

I have much more issue with Dawn voting out Brenda than I do Cochran for some reason

But Brenda could look at Dawn's betrayal as Dawn getting back at her for giving up the reward and Dawn not being able to spend time with her husband after-all. That had to be a big blow to Dawn, and sent her even more off the deep end. But, if I remember correctly, Dawn did tell Cochran she'd feel better if they waited one more week to vote Brenda off. I think she wanted to vote of Eddie.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #779
gunka
DIS Veteran

Lost what little respect left I had for Dawn. She had played on people's trust/faith a lot and she stabbed Brenda in the back.

Cochran is the man! He has been truthful and calculating the whole time.

Eric is clueless, just stumbling along....with zero control in the game.

But I think Eddie will win, since he will have the most jury votes.....assuming he's not the one voted out or medically taken out of the game....
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #780
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
But Brenda could look at Dawn's betrayal as Dawn getting back at her for giving up the reward and Dawn not being able to spend time with her husband after-all. That had to be a big blow to Dawn, and sent her even more off the deep end. But, if I remember correctly, Dawn did tell Cochran she'd feel better if they waited one more week to vote Brenda off. I think she wanted to vote of Eddie.

If dawn wanted to spend time with her husband, she should have made sure they won the challenge. Brenda picking her once again showed that she was committed to Dawn.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: