Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #616
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

My wife just met.that Lisa Whechler who was on last season (and Facts of Life and a former Mouseketeer)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #617
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
I got the same thing- they don't sound the same because they aren't the same LOL--- how in the world can anyone think Mary, Merry and Marry sound the same????
I dont have time to take the test...BUT none of those words sound the same at all!!!!!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #618
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
I got the same thing- they don't sound the same because they aren't the same LOL--- how in the world can anyone think Mary, Merry and Marry sound the same????
Chat with any of the locals in my small NC town and you'll see how. The accent is THICK down here.

I'm from Long Island. Moved here 10 years ago. I have no accent. Seriously. Even though both of my parents sound like Andrew Dice Clay. Everyone says that I have no discernible accent. Check out my tags.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #619
trip
family trip planner

The American accent test has me pegged! From birth through college I live in the Chicago area or Northern Wisconsin.

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #620
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I took the accent test but some of the answers didn't apply. For me Mary and marry are the same and merry is different. That wasn't an answer option though. It had me at North central. Far from it. Anyone who talks for me pegs me with a Boston accent right away.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #621
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

Quote:
Not only do the sound the same, I teach them to my first and second graders as homophones (words that sound the same but are spelled differently.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
I dont have time to take the test...BUT none of those words sound the same at all!!!!!
Test only takes a minute.

To me, they all sound the same, and rhyme with cherry, tarry, and, bury. (yes, bury, not birry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
Oh, yeah!

The one thing I love about travelling is listening to the different accents you all have! Once upon a time, waiting in line at Edinburgh Castle, Scotland, I had someone come up to me and tell me that my "accent" pegged me as between Detroit and Toronto. Talk about a bullseye!

šoš Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! šoš

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #622
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

Mine said "neutral" but showed Missouri, Illinois, Ohio. I lived in southern Missouri from 5th grade to 11th grade so it's probably as close as you're going to get.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #623
dbogen
Your wish is my command!
Opens threads to see what's inside

Took the quiz and it told me "inland North". Funny thing is my whole family has been born and raised in CT.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #624
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I got 89% Boston, which is where I grew up but I haven't lived there in over twenty years. I guess one never actually leaves Boston.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #625
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Not only do the sound the same, I teach them to my first and second graders as homophones (words that sound the same but are spelled differently.)

Test only takes a minute. To me, they all sound the same, and rhyme with cherry, tarry, and, bury. (yes, bury, not birry)

Oh, yeah!

The one thing I love about travelling is listening to the different accents you all have! Once upon a time, waiting in line at Edinburgh Castle, Scotland, I had someone come up to me and tell me that my "accent" pegged me as between Detroit and Toronto. Talk about a bullseye!
I was on my way to DS's baseball game.

I finally took the test and it told me I was 100% Philadelphian which is absolutely right!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #626
CupcakeKelly
This sleeve of Thin Mints IS my breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
I got 89% Boston, which is where I grew up but I haven't lived there in over twenty years. I guess one never actually leaves Boston.
Nevah evah

2014 Reading Challenge - Goal: 25 books
Completed: 6 of 25 - #1 Uglies ~ #2 The Maze Runner ~ #3 The Scorch Trials ~ #4 Matched ~ #5 Crossed ~ #6 Reached

Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
CupcakeKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #627
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post

!
LOL---if any teacher told my daughter that they would be getting a note for sure telling her she is mistaken!

As the famous example goes, for some speakers of English, Mary, merry, and marry are homophones. For others, they are words in which the vowels have three quite distinct pronunciations.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #628
Manateemum
Mouseketeer

Quote:

LOL---if any teacher told my daughter that they would be getting a note for sure telling her she is mistaken!

As the famous example goes, for some speakers of English, Mary, merry, and marry are homophones. For others, they are words in which the vowels have three quite distinct pronunciations.
I wish I could hear those of you who pronounce them differently speak so I could hear the difference. To me, they are pronounced the same and I can't figure out how to say them differently.
Manateemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #629
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateemum View Post
I wish I could hear those of you who pronounce them differently speak so I could hear the difference. To me, they are pronounced the same and I can't figure out how to say them differently.
My husband took the test and as he read them aloud, I could hear him pronounce them and they sounded different. I say them and they all sound the same and I can't reproduce how he's saying them. Incidentally, he's not American so his results aren't accurate. We both got "no accent", but we sound nothing alike.
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion 20. The Golem and the Jinni

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #630
bdcp
DIS Veteran

I just took one test and it said "Northern" -Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo or Western New England accent that news networks go for. LOL. I was born in TX and raised in the DC area (MD) after age 8 and have lived in No VA and MD. I'm very aware of the differences in sounds of words. For example, Mary, Merry and Marry all are different as is Dawn and Don, very different actually. I expected North east, but not just "northern". Another test said "Philadelphia", which basically means no accent which I completely agree with. I guess that's what the first test was saying too.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: