Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

You realize you are asking this of a bunch of camera and lens collectors, right?

I also get PP, but I say get a lens if it's one or the other. I just wouldn't vote for the 50mm lens. If you can't afford the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, is there a 35mm f/1.8 for your camera? On a crop sensor, I personally find that to be far more usable.

The problem with a 50mm lens at Disney is that by the time you back up enough to get everything in your shot, a few hundred of your new closest friends have filled the space.

Yes, the 50mm has a great price. But the most expensive lens is the one you buy twice. I bought my 50mm lens and within a month purchsed the 30mm f/1.4. Not much of a bargain on the 50 when it sits in a drawer.

You however might find that you love that length. I just suggest you set your kit lens to 50mm and go around your house taking shots and see if you like that length before you buy it.

We just got back. I used the 30mm lens quite a bit. The 50mm lens wasn't invited on the trip.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
You realize you are asking this of a bunch of camera and lens collectors, right?

I also get PP, but I say get a lens if it's one or the other. I just wouldn't vote for the 50mm lens. If you can't afford the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, is there a 35mm f/1.8 for your camera? On a crop sensor, I personally find that to be far more usable.

The problem with a 50mm lens at Disney is that by the time you back up enough to get everything in your shot, a few hundred of your new closest friends have filled the space.

Yes, the 50mm has a great price. But the most expensive lens is the one you buy twice. I bought my 50mm lens and within a month purchsed the 30mm f/1.4. Not much of a bargain on the 50 when it sits in a drawer.

You however might find that you love that length. I just suggest you set your kit lens to 50mm and go around your house taking shots and see if you like that length before you buy it.

We just got back. I used the 30mm lens quite a bit. The 50mm lens wasn't invited on the trip.
Welcome back. I was checking your photostream continuously this last week waiting impatiently .....

Oddly, I LOVE my 50 mm and I used it a lot on our last Disney trip in September. But then I've had it a couple of years and used it so much that I have a pretty good feel for it's limitations with space so I know when to change lenses or just mount something more practical. I did a couple of "50 mm days" at Disney just to get some different photos because the limitations caused me to try new things. I must admit, a few Photopass photographers watched me doing my aerobic exercises around the greeting spot and were bold enough to wear a bewildered expression and ask me why in the world I was using a fixed focus lens at WDW (as if I wasn't aware of what lens I had on my camera, lol)

Having said that, and accepting that it is a very personal choice as we all take different pictures and take them differently, if you want a more general purpose lens, then I agree something in the 30-35 mm range will give you more flexibility.

I have to agree with you about people stepping in when you are forced to back up so much. I was trying to get a picture of DD with Piglet at DHS and it was near impossible. I had the space to back up but because I was so far from DD, people didn't realize I was with her and kept standing in front of me. I was rescued by the character handler who stepped in to assist, lol

Last edited by 2Tiggies; 12-18-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Must have deleted part of my post before submitting!
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Welcome back. I was checking your photostream continuously this last week waiting impatiently .....

Oddly, I LOVE my 50 mm and I used it a lot on our last Disney trip in September. But then I've had it a couple of years and used it so much that I have a pretty good feel for it's limitations with space so I know when to change lenses or just mount something more practical. I did a couple of "50 mm days" at Disney just to get some different photos because the limitations caused me to try new things. I must admit, a few Photopass photographers watched me doing my aerobic exercises around the greeting spot and were bold enough to wear a bewildered expression and ask me why in the world I was using a fixed focus lens at WDW (as if I wasn't aware of what lens I had on my camera, lol)

Having said that, and accepting that it is a very personal choice as we all take different pictures and take them differently, if you want a more general purpose lens, then I agree something in the 30-35 mm range will give you more flexibility.
Thanks so much! We got back Sunday night and I brought a nice bug home with me. So nothing posted yet. Hopefully soon. I'm just happy the bug was kind enough to wait until our very last day to show up, and didn't interrupt the trip.

I love your idea of having a "50mm day". As I struggle with finding new ways to photograph Disney, this is definitely somethng I need to keep in mind.

I'll put a link to my new TR when I finally get it up and going.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: