Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Cond1108
Earning My Ears

Flying with Delta and day bags

If you have booked with Delta, if you are taking a carry on and a day bag, will they let you take both or can you only take your carry on luggage? Any tips?
Cond1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

That depends on what you mean by a "day bag"? Most US airlines, including Delta, allow one carryon, and one "personal item", which includes things like a briefcase, purse, laptop bag, backpack, etc. My personal item is usually a large Vera Bradley travel bag. In my experience, most airlines are pretty liberal in their definition of that "personal item" as long as it fits under the seat in front of you. But you cannot carry a purse in *addition* to the "personal item". I've found that many airlines are getting much more strict about allowing you only 2 carryon items.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
carpenta
DIS Veteran

I will say a prayer for you flying "Delta"......IMO THE WORSE airline....I'd rather drive Greyhound...at least the workers on Greyhound are nicer.....
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta
I will say a prayer for you flying "Delta"......IMO THE WORSE airline....I'd rather drive Greyhound...at least the workers on Greyhound are nicer.....
Completely agree! And if they lose your luggage then heaven help you cause they sure don't care.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Ah the joys of lost luggage. My daughter flew from Japan, stopped in Chicago to go thru Customs.....and home after spending a night on a cot in O'hare. However, her luggage went from Chicago (she knew it got that far; she had to claim it to go thru Customs) to URAGUAY! Yeah....that's where the agent said it was. We did get it back, eventually.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Weedy
DIS Veteran

One needs to fit in the overhead storage the other has to fit under the seat in front of you.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post

Never had an issue with Delta, we have always had great service.

OP, you shouldn't have a problem with a carryon and a personal bag.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Wshop
Mouseketeer

Two bags is the limit. Plus, if you have kids with seats, they each get 2 bags. I fly usually 3-4 times a month, Delta is no better or worse than any of the other airlines.
Wshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

As everyone has stated it depends on what you consider a "Day bag." If its a backpack or bag that will fit under the seat (think Roughly 12in high, 16in long, and 12-16in wide, with soft sides) then yes you can take it.

Not all Delta employees are bad. To say an airline is bad because of one bad experience is like saying people drive who trucks have road rage. Just doesnt make any sense.

Clint
Delta Airport Agent 2004-2006
Continental Express Flight Attendant 2006
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Never had an issue with Delta, we have always had great service.

OP, you shouldn't have a problem with a carryon and a personal bag.
Ditto! Delta is my favorite legacy carrier. I prefer Southwest, but they don't fly overseas so then I'm on Delta.

If you arrive early enough, mark your bags appropriately, and don't have oddly shaped luggage you'll be fine. I've only ever lost my bag once and it was because of a missed connection.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by N365PA View Post
As everyone has stated it depends on what you consider a "Day bag." If its a backpack or bag that will fit under the seat (think Roughly 12in high, 16in long, and 12-16in wide, with soft sides) then yes you can take it.

Not all Delta employees are bad. To say an airline is bad because of one bad experience is like saying people drive who trucks have road rage. Just doesnt make any sense.

Clint
No not all do I think that ALL employees are bad but the majority makes the rule.BUT most I have encounted in my recent 4 cancelations and 3 times sleeping on airport floors. Oh yea....the time we were BOOKRD THROUGH DETRIOT AND WHEN WE WERE TO BOARD OUR CONNECTION THE FRIENDLY(ha ha yea right) person at the gate said "We gave your seats away". NEVER HEARD OF THAT. When we went to service it was like we were asking for a favor for that person to do their job. Oh do you want to hear of the time when we were flying back from Europe and the crew were so pissed about some labor issue that they refused to work the flight...or the time they just cancelled our flight out of Chicago FOR NO REASON? Never would give us a reason and agsin when we went for service it was like dealing with a suit dummy in a store...Do you want me to go on? Your airline should take lessons from airlines like Alaska air, Luftansa and some other European flights....but there is a good reason why Delta is rated at the BOTTOM of ALL airlines EVERY YEAR....Nothing more than Amtrak of the Air.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
No not all do I think that ALL employees are bad but the majority makes the rule.BUT most I have encounted in my recent 4 cancelations and 3 times sleeping on airport floors. Oh yea....the time we were BOOKRD THROUGH DETRIOT AND WHEN WE WERE TO BOARD OUR CONNECTION THE FRIENDLY(ha ha yea right) person at the gate said "We gave your seats away". NEVER HEARD OF THAT. When we went to service it was like we were asking for a favor for that person to do their job. Oh do you want to hear of the time when we were flying back from Europe and the crew were so pissed about some labor issue that they refused to work the flight...or the time they just cancelled our flight out of Chicago FOR NO REASON? Never would give us a reason and agsin when we went for service it was like dealing with a suit dummy in a store...Do you want me to go on? Your airline should take lessons from airlines like Alaska air, Luftansa and some other European flights....but there is a good reason why Delta is rated at the BOTTOM of ALL airlines EVERY YEAR....Nothing more than Amtrak of the Air.
This is your experience, so I can see why you don't like Delta. Where I have flown Delta for the majority of my flights and have never encountered anything like you experienced.

Now if we are start talking about US Air or United, those are the 2 I have had the worst experience with.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by N365PA

Clint
I would never bad mouth a organization based on one bad experience but 3 or 4 issues out of 3 or 4 flights in a row then I start to think it is the companies ethos that is the problem. I will never fly delta again. I would rather walk. My opinion but still valid.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

I fly Delta all the time from Buffalo to Disney with that famed Atlanta layover. They've always been pretty good with my luggage. I usually take a 17'' Rolling bag by Vera Bradley and I usually take a rather large shoulder bag as well. I've never had to gate check anything and they are pretty good about it. However I've seen where people try to take 3 or more bags and they do make people gate check those so I'd be careful about making sure everything fits into your two bags. I've never had a problem with Delta and on my last trip I had only a 40 minute layover in Atlanta on 10/30/12 the day after Sandy made landfall. Everything made it safely to MCO and all was well. You should be alright.

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Niebz
DIS Veteran

Can I join in on the Delta bashing? My parents flew Delta last month from Canada to Florida. They knowingly removed several guests luggage because there were hunters on-board whose guns were too heavy making the plane over the weight limit. They knew about it and didn't tell anyone. My parents had a one hour layover in Minneapolis and were left waiting in customs for bags that didn't show. The least they could have done was told them, or better yet chose to remove the overweight guns over peoples' luggage! It took 2 days for their bags to get delivered to their hotel. It wasn't a mistake, it was deliberate and my parents still haven't been refunded for the baggage handling fees they had to pay. Yep, not a fan of Delta but we still fly it because it has the cheapest most direct flights to Florida from my small Canadian city - we don't have a lot of options and the price difference is pretty significant. What can you do?

As to OPs question - 2 bags is the limit - one small under-the-seat bag and one carry-on.
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: