Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

We absolutely love the Poly. Our family has stayed there 6 years in a row. That said, the Poly is getting a bit expensive for our tastes. And that is for a garden view room, not lagoon view. We have booked a room at CR for next year. Even more convenient for MK and on the monorail for Epcot.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
padawans
DIS Veteran

There is nothing "luxurious" about any of the deluxe resorts at Disney. I have stayed in all of them. You are paying for location. We have always had clean and well maintained rooms at the Poly. That being said I would never pay 500.00 a night to stay there or at any other Disney property. I would wait until discounts are released before deciding where to stay.
padawans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #18
aml3679
Kita's Mom

Don't Worry! Usually, the postiive reviews outweigh the negative. There are so many people that stay there that love it. What is not to love - the tropical theming, the monorail, tonga toast ...the only negative I can think of is the price. We are staying at WL - Poly is too much money for us to spend. You will have a good time.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #19
MyOtherSS
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at the Poly 4 times and I've never had a bad experience there. It is by far my favorite resort, the location is the best out of the monorail resorts and the theme is just awesome. The way I look at it is people are likely to write a review over a bad experience because something ticked them off than write one when they had a great experience. What I'm saying is people love to complain, if everyone that had a good experience wrote a review they would outweigh the bad ones to the point you wouldn't take them into consideration. It might be more money but it well worth it and you will love it there. Just my .02
Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

The best way to look at WDW resorts is as a whole and not pick it a part piece by piece. They are not what you would imagine from a Ritz-Carlton or Waldorf Estoria. They are family friendly resorts with high turnovers. We love the Polynesian. We know it is not perfect--none of the resorts are. As a whole, it gives us a perfect vacation with all it has to offer. It is a matter of not obsessing over every detail. If there is a really offensive problem at ANY resort, immediately go to the front desk.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Thanks for all your input. I understand what each of you are saying. I should not expect the comfort and luxury of 5 stars, such as Castle Hill Inn in Newport, CT where we had the opportunity to stay some 10 yrs ago. We paid much less per night there and the comfort and amenities were worth every dime. But, it wasn't DISNEY WORLD ! So, I know the high pricing of DW resorts all comes down to location and available amenities such as better restaurants and monorail, views, etc.
The price I got was with a 35% discount. We were given a price of $4777. just for the room and park tix (7 day hopper, which I'm about to add an extra day and water park option) why not at this point.
I thought about WL but it only has the boat to MK and being we are from the mountains of PA I didn't find it to be as appealing. I've been at the resort and it is gorgeous, but I guess I want to feel like I left PA. As for the CR. Not quite sure I like the theme there.
I tried to get GV at the POLY to help cut costs, we could save approx $800, however, no GV available. I was calling daily to see if there were any cancels but no go. So I gave into the LV. DH will LOVE to rent the water mice and perhaps take us on a pontoon ride. We always did that at POR. I like that there are better restaurants so close & I just love the idea of no buses to MK or EPCOt. Prob take a cab to DTD and even perhaps to HS b/c I heard bus service at the POLY is not so good. Have a hard time doing Disney buses with my bad sciatica back ! UGH!
I'm not going to panic, just will wait to see if my decision to change resorts was the best thing to do. We did have a royal room at POR for the little one.... she doesn't nor will she know that, just hope I'm not disappointed with paying double. Guess we'll see....

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I fear you have made a mistake. If your husband expects the Poly to be twice as nice, based on costing twice as much, as the room at POR that he really likes, he is in for a major disappointment. It is not.
That said, I like the Poly and enjoyed staying there. But it is simply not a 4 or 5 star deluxe hotel. It is dark and dated IMHO.
Good luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: