Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #76
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by palhockeymomof2 View Post
I agree with you .....we paid for EBCI for the two of us boarded the flight and one guy was saving 8 seats all in the exit rows....the flight attendant was standing right there and wouldn't do anything as we tried to sit in 2 of them...she said call customer service....I did after our flight....they refunded our $20 for EBCI....so they are losing money there too if people call and they have to refund $$
Did the FA tell you you couldn't sit in the "saved" seats. I think if you really wanted to, they (savers) couldn't make you move.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #77
palhockeymomof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Did the FA tell you you couldn't sit in the "saved" seats. I think if you really wanted to, they (savers) couldn't make you move.
She said there were plenty of empty seats...whichthere were .....just not exit row....and she couldn't make the guy move his things...then suggested I call customer service .....I honestly didn't want to move his stuff so I just went to another row
palhockeymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #78
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
She said there were plenty of empty seats...which there were .....just not exit row....and she couldn't make the guy move his things...then suggested I call customer service .....I honestly didn't want to move his stuff so I just went to another row
Allowing passengers to save that many seats is ridiculous. Good for you for following through and contacting customer service. I'm glad they refunded what you paid for EBCI.

I'm also surprised they allowed someone to save exit row seats since there are restrictions on who can sit in them.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #79
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer View Post
I have seen this so many times. I think enforcing the rules would help alleviate most of the problems.
Now, there's an interesting concept!!! One would think that a company would want it's customers to be happy. But, they seem to only want to avoid confrontation on the plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
No, but the business travelers of this world do it for them. We take the seat we want and watch the crying begin! It's part of our travel entertainment So next time someone is holding three rows of seats and you want one of them TAKE IT! The FAs won't help the passenger LOL! Just say nicely "it's not allowed to save seats and it's rude" and move thier stuff and sit down! Hysteria will ensure. You will be hysterical when the family members board later and all of them are grown adults (it's even better if they are drunk because instead of getting in line to board they sat at the bar because "grandma is saving us a seat" LOL!)

However, if you folks complain to SW when the family with 10 people or the teenagers boards etc... then something will happen. SW is very "sensitive" to consumer feedback. Posting on here probably won't get things changed~!
And again...avoidance of confrontation.
Quote:
I agree with you .....we paid for EBCI for the two of us boarded the flight and one guy was saving 8 seats all in the exit rows....the flight attendant was standing right there and wouldn't do anything as we tried to sit in 2 of them...she said call customer service....I did after our flight....they refunded our $20 for EBCI....so they are losing money there too if people call and they have to refund $$
If I have that kind of issue, you had better believe that if the FA doesn't give me any satisfaction, I will be sending SW off a less than pleasant email. I don't have an issue with saving seats within that row..so two seats. But more than that? Nope.

I like the way SW boards now. It is much better than the 'old' way. I hated getting to the airport 2 hrs prior and having to stand there, holding my place in line. Not so bad if you have someone traveling with you, but solo?? Not so good.
If SW would adopt a policy and stick with it, it would be nice. No saving seats...period. Do away with family boarding...unless it's an infant in a special seat. But the immediate family gets to board...after paying for EBCI. This whole mentality that all families get to board, whenever they want has got to stop!!! Those of us that are adhering to the 'rules' are getting the short end of the stick.

Or, SW could just charge for 'checkin' service only. The getting of a 'better boarding group' would be a lesser perk. You would only be paying for not having to checkin yourself.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #80
formill
DIS Veteran

We paid the extra EBCI for all of us. Standing in line with our A boarding passes I was starting to think we were the only ones who did that. A woman in front of me explained how she was there and going to save seats for the rest of her family....and a man across was doing the same for his wife. It is so annoying. At the very least they could make an announcement before boarding that there is to be no seat saving.
formill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #81
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

In all seriousness?? Those that are annoyed with the whole seat saving practice need to write to SW and let them know that they will not be flying with SW again until this is addressed. It is unfair to pay addtl costs while others are circumventing the system.
Perhaps if enough people complain, via the mail/email, then SW will finally 'get it', and start doing something about it.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #82
palhockeymomof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
In all seriousness?? Those that are annoyed with the whole seat saving practice need to write to SW and let them know that they will not be flying with SW again until this is addressed. It is unfair to pay addtl costs while others are circumventing the system.
Perhaps if enough people complain, via the mail/email, then SW will finally 'get it', and start doing something about it.

Agree...when this happened to us I complained via phone and email
palhockeymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #83
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Ask for a refund of your EBCI if you see this and are unable to get a decent seat. Someone posted that they got a refund.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #84
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Or, SW could just charge for 'checkin' service only. The getting of a 'better boarding group' would be a lesser perk. You would only be paying for not having to checkin yourself.
I think this is the way to go. It really is all you're getting with EBCI so they may as well market it that way. It allows people to know what they're paying for and decide if it's worth it without thinking they're getting something more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formill View Post
At the very least they could make an announcement before boarding that there is to be no seat saving.
But they don't have a policy against saving seats so why would they make that announcement? There's no policy either way. Nothing prevents someone from trying to save 27 seats just as nothing prevents you from sitting in one of the 27 they're trying to save. If everyone is being reasonable, it all works out. It's people who go too far and don't exercise reasonable common sense and courtesy that mess it up.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #85
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Oh-oh.....after reading this thread, i am getting all panicky!!!! We are flying SW in a few weeks for the 1st time.....how the heck do we manage this whole crazy boarding process. We have 7 seats - all wanna get away fares - yes we bought a ticket for the 2 month old. 2 strollers to be gate checked as well as using 2 car seats on the flight itself. See sig for ages of our kids. Am i understanding this correctly - that we may not all be able to board together?? They would not seriously expect us to have our 6/9/11 year olds stand there without us? Or that we wouldn't be sitting together on board???

Ok SW experts - help a newbie out here. What should our plan be?? We are doing Buffalo-MCO and then the return 2 weeks later.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #86
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
Oh-oh.....after reading this thread, i am getting all panicky!!!! We are flying SW in a few weeks for the 1st time.....how the heck do we manage this whole crazy boarding process. We have 7 seats - all wanna get away fares - yes we bought a ticket for the 2 month old. 2 strollers to be gate checked as well as using 2 car seats on the flight itself. See sig for ages of our kids. Am i understanding this correctly - that we may not all be able to board together?? They would not seriously expect us to have our 6/9/11 year olds stand there without us? Or that we wouldn't be sitting together on board???

Ok SW experts - help a newbie out here. What should our plan be?? We are doing Buffalo-MCO and then the return 2 weeks later.
I'm not a SW expert, but...

1) Check with SW and make sure all the tickets are linked on one reservation.
2) Sign up for EBCI for everyone. That will be $87.50 each direction (that's assuming the new rate of $12.50/passenger).
3) Sometime after 24 hours from departure, print your boarding pass. It will show your boarding assignment.
3A) *IF* the numbers are not sequential, when you get to the airport, you can let the people separating you go ahead of you in line.
3B) *IF* you happen to get 'B' boarding numbers, check with the gate agent and see if family boarding is available. If so, one adult goes on with the two year old and the car seats during family boarding.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #87
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Thanks sam_gordon.

So frustrating to have to shell out another $175 just to be able to sit WITH my kids! Seems ridiculous to me.....if they were teenagers, ok no prob i get it; but they are young kids
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #88
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks sam_gordon.

So frustrating to have to shell out another $175 just to be able to sit WITH my kids! Seems ridiculous to me.....if they were teenagers, ok no prob i get it; but they are young kids
Well, another way to do it is to pay EBCI for just you or husband. The rest check in at the 24 hour mark. Whoever gets EBCI boards with the two car seats. This way the younger ones are with an adult.

And even if you didn't get EBCI, you'd probably still get to sit together, there's just more pressure to check in at the 24 hour mark. EBCI just helps "guarantee" it.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #89
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
Well, another way to do it is to pay EBCI for just you or husband. The rest check in at the 24 hour mark. Whoever gets EBCI boards with the two car seats. This way the younger ones are with an adult.

And even if you didn't get EBCI, you'd probably still get to sit together, there's just more pressure to check in at the 24 hour mark. EBCI just helps "guarantee" it.
So could DH get EBCI and theoretically save the remaining seats (said in a whisper as she runs away before getting flamed........)??
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #90
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
I think this is the way to go. It really is all you're getting with EBCI so they may as well market it that way. It allows people to know what they're paying for and decide if it's worth it without thinking they're getting something more.

But they don't have a policy against saving seats so why would they make that announcement? There's no policy either way. Nothing prevents someone from trying to save 27 seats just as nothing prevents you from sitting in one of the 27 they're trying to save. If everyone is being reasonable, it all works out. It's people who go too far and don't exercise reasonable common sense and courtesy that mess it up.
I have never heard an announcement about not saving seats with SW before. BUT...I have heard them make this announcement...'This is a completely full flight everyone. There will not be any empty seats!!'. Then, the shuffle starts. All those that tried saving seats, usually the middle seat, were then moving around to avoid having a stranger sitting in between them and another family member.
My issue is when I pay for EBCI, for everyone in my group, and one person in a group of 8, buys EBCI for just themselves. Then, they try to save the other 7 seats together. That's not fair.

Quote:

Relax..you most likely won't have an issue. You will be able to board inbetween the A and B groups with family boarding since you have two kids under 4. I really can't imagine SW having the rest of the family board later.

It would seem that there are those out there that book SW without understanding how boarding works. And then, chaos ensues at the gate. No one wants to be split up from the rest of their family. But, if you don't get how the system works, that can happen. BUT....SW will do what it can do to get you all together.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: