Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

Oceanears Club/Lab question and free roaming

We cruise this week on the Dream (yay!), and I was wondering a few things. We have two 10 yr olds and a 7 yr old.

Can kids check themselves into and out of OC/OL (if you sign them up for that)?

At what age have you let kids go places without an adult?
Free roaming isn't really what I had in mind, but it was an easy description. We aren't planning to turn them loose for the cruise and wouldn't let any of them go alone, but it would be nice if we could send them to the drink station, to the cabin (deck 6) for something.

What are experienced DCL cruisers' thoughts?
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg91 View Post

Yes.

Our DD11 roamed as long as she called/text us, and/or was not alone.

HTH
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Our daughter was 9 when we allowed her to check herself in and out of the lab. She knew she couldn't 'roam,' and had to either go back to the stateroom, or she could go to deck 9 for drinks and ice cream.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg91 View Post
We cruise this week on the Dream (yay!), and I was wondering a few things. We have two 10 yr olds and a 7 yr old.

At what age have you let kids go places without an adult?
Free roaming isn't really what I had in mind, but it was an easy description. We aren't planning to turn them loose for the cruise and wouldn't let any of them go alone, but it would be nice if we could send them to the drink station, to the cabin (deck 6) for something.

What are experienced DCL cruisers' thoughts?
IIRC, you have to be 8 before you can even allow them sign-out privileges and the older siblings cannot check out the younger one. But double check that.

We sailed last summer when ds was 7 (8 in Oct) and I would not have sent him anywhere without me. The ship is just too big! With 10 year olds, I would probably feel comfortable sending them to the drink station or back to the cabin or similar type situations particularly if they were together.

Personally I saw way too many children of that age unsupervised on the ships. They're not necessarily causing trouble, but they're loud, running, blocking hallways or stairs, playfully pushing each other, etc which just makes it hard to get somewhere if you're trying to pass them on the stairs or stuck with them in an elevator.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014, Feb 2015 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Some older threads discussions;

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....oaming+freedom

Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input and the links to other threads!

I think we'll probably let them do some things. We'll see! The only other cruise we've been on was on a ship half the size. The size of the Dream may change our minds!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

I am the OP and thought I would update now that we've cruised.

The Wave phones made all the difference in the world. My 10yr old DD carried one and took to the old fashioned way of texting right away! I felt comfortable sending the 3 (or 2) kids off together to do midship detective agency or go to a movie or an activity after the second day.

The 10 yr old DD had virtually no problem keeping up with her location. It helped that we were right outside the forward elevator so we didn't have to travel long look-alike hallways to find our cabin. Door decorations helped.

We didn't do self check out of the club/lab. My kids weren't crazy about them. Plus we checked them in the first time and didn't realize they didn't know they could ask a CM to call us when they were ready to leave (first day, no Wave phone on hand). They stayed longer than they wanted. Oops.

We also didn't get that kids were locked into the Club when the Lab had open house and vice versa. They wanted to do an activity listed in the lab, but apparently the lab had open house and my kids couldn't go there.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I think kids 8 and older are allowed to sign themselves out IF the parents sign for it. Anyone can sign IN on their own.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Glad it worked out. Thanks so much for the update.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Just to clarify for others who may come across this...there is a difference between granting permission for your kids (age 8+) to check out of the Club/Lab on their own, versus you are all together somewhere and you send them to the drink station or cabin to pick something up. They aren't restricted for movement about the ship - if you feel they know where they are going and are mature enough to do what is intended, you may let them go without or without the younger sibling.

Yes, children checked in for "secured" programming will be moved to the other side (Club/Lab) when an Open House occurs. If they have check-out privileges, they may be able to go to the Open House though a parent may be required regardless of check-out privileges for secured programming.

As a note about wave phones...unless you are sure your child won't lose or break it, I don't recommend sending it to the Club/Lab. You will be charged $250 to replace it if lost or damaged.

Glad everything worked out for OP.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Kids don't need wave phones in the Club/Lab. If they need to contact a parent, the CM will make the call for them from the desk phone. If they have permission to sign out, they can sign out and go to any house phone to call.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: