Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is the better deal?
Rent a 2 bedroom DVC Points plus DDP 2 28.57%
2 rooms at Swan/Dolphin (OOP dining) 3 42.86%
2 rooms at a moderate with a 15-20% discount plus DDP 0 0%
Two rooms at a moderate with free dining 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
minniebride
DIS Veteran

Which works out to be the better deal-DVC vs FD vs S/D vs Hotel discount?

We are planning a trip for next February & I'm trying to figure out what would be the best deal?

It will be my parents, me, my DH, and our daughter who will be 14 months old by then.

Here are our options:

1. Rent a 2 bedroom DVC (anywhere except OKW & SS) plus regular dining plan

2. Book two rooms at the Swan/Dolphin (dining OOP)

3. Book two rooms at a moderate with a 15-20% off code (if I can find one!!) plus regular DDP

4. Book two rooms at a moderate & go during free dining.

Thanks!
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
jimandami
DIS Veteran

I think that is a hard question to answer because it depends on what you are looking for in your vacation. Having a 2 bedroom DVC is a completely different trip than booking 2 rooms at a moderate, IMHO. I mean, you have a full kitchen, washer/dryer, jet tub, etc....So, if it were me and you can afford it, I would definitely book the 2 bedroom (it will almost certainly cost more than 2 rooms at a mod, esp with free dining). But, if I did DVC, I would not pay for the dining plan. The dining plan barely saves money anyway, and with the full kitchen, you can have breakfast in the room and maybe even a couple lunches/dinners so you should spend less on food than it would cost to pay OOP for the dining plan. It would be so nice to be able to put the baby down for a nap or bed in one of the bedrooms, and then have the living room, etc...to relax in with you parents.
jimandami is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
I think that is a hard question to answer because it depends on what you are looking for in your vacation. Having a 2 bedroom DVC is a completely different trip than booking 2 rooms at a moderate, IMHO. I mean, you have a full kitchen, washer/dryer, jet tub, etc....So, if it were me and you can afford it, I would definitely book the 2 bedroom (it will almost certainly cost more than 2 rooms at a mod, esp with free dining). But, if I did DVC, I would not pay for the dining plan. The dining plan barely saves money anyway, and with the full kitchen, you can have breakfast in the room and maybe even a couple lunches/dinners so you should spend less on food than it would cost to pay OOP for the dining plan. It would be so nice to be able to put the baby down for a nap or bed in one of the bedrooms, and then have the living room, etc...to relax in with you parents.
I agree with the pp in that it's hard for me to say what's the best "deal" for you! If it's strictly money, probably option four but for my family (only three) free dining never works out to be a good deal! I'd run the price points and see where you come out to be the best deal. See if the DDP is REALLY how you eat. We don't eat dessert with every meal so it's kind of a waste for us.

DVC is a great option but a 2 bedroom is $$ although nice! Gives you different options as far as kitchen and laundry but not as much housekeeping service and often far away from food (counter service or restaurants) if you choose not to cook/eat in room.

Besides, it's just really hard to say what options Disney will have at any given time! They're running 30% off moderate rooms right now until March 2013. That's pretty good deal!

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Sue M
DIS Veteran

The jan/feb discounts are out now for this year, so I'd do the Disney Math based on this years deals to give you an idea of costs for similar time next year to see which is the better deal for you.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
merina888
Mouseketeer

There's a big question mark as to whether Disney is going to offer free dining anyway. It does not appear they are offering it this year. Depending on how well rooms fill, they may not offer it next year. At least not to the general population. It may still be possible to get a PIN for it, but that's a bit random. I'd go with what fits with your finances now and then change if free dining becomes available. I don't think it's a good idea to plan a trip assuming that a certain offer will be available. You may be disappointed.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

We're DVC'rs and part of what sold us was the kitchen. We like eating breakfast in our villa, grab a quick c/s for lunch, and then make a simple meal back at the villa, like pasta, or tacos. Or we sometimes go to a local restaurant for dinner.

However, since 3 of your 4 options include some type of dining plan, I'm guessing this is your preference. So I'd have to suggest you go with one of the hotel/dining options you described.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: