Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

AAA discount on already paid for cruise?

I've been trying to calculate if getting a AAA membership will be worthwhile for our cruise. We will be driving for 3 days, so we'll have 3 hotel stays. I'm wondering if I can apply a AAA discount to my already paid for cruise coming up in January???
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There is no AAA discount on DCL cruises. While they place ads looking like they have a special rate, in reality this is the same rate you can get yourself or any other TA can get for you. AAA, like any other travel agent, can offer a perk as a "thanks for booking with us" gift. Most recently, this was a photo package, but the gift has varied widely over the years.

Honestly, I prefer an onboard credit--that way I can use the money any way I choose. When they offer a coupon book or other package, it has no value if it doesn't include things I'd use anyhow.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info. I've compared several hotels along the way that we may stay out and the discount for being a AAA member wouldn't make up the cost of the membership.
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkochrn View Post
Thanks for the info. I've compared several hotels along the way that we may stay out and the discount for being a AAA member wouldn't make up the cost of the membership.
But if your car breaks down or gets a flat tire, the membership could easily pay for itself.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you ca figure out in advance where you want your hotel stops to be, you can get a much better deal on Priceline or Hotwire than using a AAA rate. I haven't had a lot of luck with that while driving--if I make advance reservations, I either get there and could be good to drive a couple more hours or hit bad weather or whatever and am ready to stop sooner.

I know Priceline now has a "same day" deal, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
If you ca figure out in advance where you want your hotel stops to be, you can get a much better deal on Priceline or Hotwire than using a AAA rate. I haven't had a lot of luck with that while driving--if I make advance reservations, I either get there and could be good to drive a couple more hours or hit bad weather or whatever and am ready to stop sooner.

I know Priceline now has a "same day" deal, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
priceline requries payment in full up front - if you hit bad weather you are stuck - I'd rather book 'cancel by 4pm day of arrival' or even 'hold'.

AAA is only better with DCL during their special weeks - they typically add a gift card in addition to their standard member benefit (currently a photo package).

Of course, YMMV in finding a good TA...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
You can get a much better deal on Priceline or Hotwire than using a AAA rate.
Personally, I never book through sites like Priceline. It's just too much of a gamble for my own peace of mind. Hotels are going to take care of their own reservations first, so if they're overbooked, guess who is packing up and being shipped across town to whatever hotel has a room?

And more often than not, the few times I have used discount sites they've lost my reservation or my payment and I've spent hours with them on the phone in a hotel lobby trying to get it straightened out.

I've worked in the Travel industry too long to trust any 3rd party booking. I'll pay the extra $5. /rant

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Yep, I'm done with Priceline and Hotwire. Priceline booked our family of four in far too many rooms with only one bed. There's just no way to tell them that you have more than two in your room. I switched to Hotwire because they ask how many in your room. And still got a room with one bed. When I complained about it to the management they stated that there's no guarantee that you'll get any particular type of room. Another time with Hotwire I looked for a room in San Diego and didn't realized that the San Diego "area" includes Chula Vista and I got a room there and had to rent a car to get to San Diego every day.

The AAA website is not the best in my opinion and would like something more useable. I've used AAA for both a Disney Cruise and a Disney World trip on different occasions and have found that I could do much better on my own just looking for deals on the internet. I've ceased using them for a TA. If I'm out and about and want to check into a hotel I'll ask about a AAA discount but I find that it is never very much.

I've noticed booklets in fast food places that advertise "last minute" rates for travelers. I have on occasion picked one of these up and keep it as we travel. We've used it in the past to get some pretty good deals on hotels. But they don't want to give you those deals in advance. Pretty much just "day of."
Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I've used Priceline many times without issue, especially in the MCO area. They clearly state that their reservations are for 2 people only.

That said, the system isn't for everyone. It does have much better prices than AAA rates (which are usually only a few dollars off the normal rate.)
Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They clearly state that their reservations are for 2 people only.

That said, the system isn't for everyone.
Yep, once I realized that they were off my radar. It's very rare that I travel without my kids.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: