Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
kam1011
Mouseketeer

We almost always drive straight through. We leave around 4pm (passing DC after dark - and even worse - Richmond!) and get to Disney around 11am. That's with quite a few stops as my kids are little. Grandma comes with us, so we have three drivers, in three hour shifts through the night. It gives each of us a solid 6 hour block to sleep, plus whenever else you feel like drifting off!

Back in the day we would stay over, stopping wherever we got tired: Santee, SC, Brunswick, GA, the town right above South of the Border, etc. Never had a bad experience. In Brunswick we stayed in a mall. It was an interesting experience. Restaurants inside the mall delivered room service

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebymarriage View Post
Excellent suggestion...we absolutely love this book and use it every year.

We drive down almost every year from Bergen County, NJ and usually drive straight through but we have stopped over for the night in Santee, SC. Santee is approx. 12 hours from our house and there are multiple motels, gas stations, restaurants etc. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the drive down from NJ. We are heading down to Disney again June 25th
I think we're going to drive this coming November.
We drive to Hilton Head every year, but we check into the hotel there on Sunday, so we leave on Saturday, mosey our way down 95 and leave about 3 hours to drive Sunday morning.
For WDW, we want to get there asap on a Saturday.

Do you ever leave on a weekday?
We want to leave on Friday, but the kids have school(week before Jersey week), my husband has work-he may be able to leave by 3, meaning we could be on the road by 4, hitting Baltimore around 7, DC around 8...but traffic wise who knows.
I'd say we can drive til about 1 or 2 am.

My kids will be 12 and 14 by then, so they're easy..and like I said, we drive to HH(14 hours each way) every year, so they're used to long trips.

We've driven to WDW twice before-once when my daughter was 18 mos, and once when the kids were 1 and 3, so it;s been a loong time. I remember the ride down not being too bad, but the ride back was hell because you just wanted to be home-both times we stopped on the way down, but straight through on the way back.

Any tips about best time to leave or about driving through the night(I'd like to, but not sure if I can do it..)
I'm also in Bergen County.

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
mlynn
DIS Veteran

Last time we left on a Thursday afternoon stops right before the Ga line around 11pm. Going Jersey week this year.So the kids don't miss a lot of school.(only 1 day this way) I don't mind the drive once your past Dc it isn't so bad. But LOVE the book. I tell everybody who drives anywhere on 95 to get it. I'm ordering a new one since mine is 7 years old for my next trip
mlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
Happiest mommy
DIS Veteran

Bumping great thread hoping to do our first drive in May Auto train sounds interesting....

Cookie (RIP 5/10/10) you gave us 15 years of pure Love and Loyalty we miss you so...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Visits: 2007, 2008, 2010 and planning 2014
Happiest mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
mousebymarriage
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVL1018 View Post
I think we're going to drive this coming November.
We drive to Hilton Head every year, but we check into the hotel there on Sunday, so we leave on Saturday, mosey our way down 95 and leave about 3 hours to drive Sunday morning.
For WDW, we want to get there asap on a Saturday.

Do you ever leave on a weekday?
We want to leave on Friday, but the kids have school(week before Jersey week), my husband has work-he may be able to leave by 3, meaning we could be on the road by 4, hitting Baltimore around 7, DC around 8...but traffic wise who knows.
I'd say we can drive til about 1 or 2 am.

My kids will be 12 and 14 by then, so they're easy..and like I said, we drive to HH(14 hours each way) every year, so they're used to long trips.

We've driven to WDW twice before-once when my daughter was 18 mos, and once when the kids were 1 and 3, so it;s been a loong time. I remember the ride down not being too bad, but the ride back was hell because you just wanted to be home-both times we stopped on the way down, but straight through on the way back.

Any tips about best time to leave or about driving through the night(I'd like to, but not sure if I can do it..)
I'm also in Bergen County.
Last summer we left on a Thursday late afternoon and we hit quite a bit of traffic. Not really much traffic in Jersey but, there was an accident just as we crossed into Delaware and then we hit some pretty bad traffic in Virginia due to road work and some for no apparent reason. For us leaving late afternoon/early evening seems to work best and traffic usually isn't bad.

As for driving through the night:
-I am the overnight driver so I usually try to sleep as much as possible during the day we are leaving. (we tend to leave late afternoon/early evening).
-I bring my I-pod so I can listen to music while everyone is sleeping (I only use 1 earbud so I can hear emergency vehicles etc. if necessary).
-I keep a small water bottle within easy reach (I try not to drink too much during the night to limit having to make bathroom stops).
-I keep m&m's, mints and sometimes grapes within easy reach for driver late night munchies.
-for people with little ones, try to get the kids as tired as possible during the day (bike riding, running around the yard playing tag etc., swimming). They will be much more likely to sleep in the car without issues if they are really tired.
-having the kids take a warm relaxing bath or shower right before you leave helps calm them down and relax them.
-limit the kids caffeine and junk food during the day you are leaving so they are not off the wall in the car.
-earplugs are a MUST for the other driver when they are sleeping so they can get enough undisturbed rest and are ready to drive when it's their turn.
-for people with little ones please put a cooler or small suitcase on the floor in front of them so they have a place to rest their feet so their legs aren't dangling for hours. Believe me it really does help with their comfort level.
1990(DH & I first trip together-dating) * 1994(DH & I-now married 6 months)
1997(DD first trip 6 months old)and family
1998(DH, Me & DD)and family
1999(DH, Me & DD)and family
2000(DH, Me & DD)and family
2002(DH, Me , DD, DS first trip 7 months old)and family
2003(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family
2005 April(DH , Me, DD, & DS) * 2005 Oct.(DH & I only)and family/friends Adults only trip
2006(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family 2011(DH,Me,DD, DS)
2007(DH , Me, DD & DS)and family2012(DH, Me, DD, DS, DD's BFF and 2 Dnephews)
2008(Grand Gathering 17 of us)
2010(DH, Me, DD,DS)
mousebymarriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #21
MickeyHereWeCome!
DIS Veteran

We drive from MD. I always use the I95 guide to get my hotel information before the trip. Here is the website.
http://www.i95exitguide.com/.

We've had good experiences with the Best Western's we've stayed in (in quite a few cities), and some negative ones with Days Inns (one canceled our stay, although guaranteed with cc, so we had nowhere to stay at midnight. We ended up at another that was the most disgusting motel experience ever).

My Aunt and Uncle travel down from NJ frequently, and always stay at Best Westerns. They are in one in Florence, SC right now, and have good things to say about it.

Animal Kingdom 2002
All Star Movies 2004
All Star Movies October 2006
Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2009
Offsite Surprise Trip June 2010
Surprise Trip July 2012, Bonnet Creek/AKL
MickeyHereWeCome! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

We drove from NWNJ (Sussex County) in September with our 4 month old DD. My biggest suggestion - DO NOT TAKE I-95! We take 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 and it is a much easier, more pleasant drive.

We stopped over at exit 94 (savannah area) in Georgia at a holiday inn express (nice rooms, free breakfast, $100 for the night) which was about 4 hours from there to WDW.

We will be doing it again in a few weeks.

We have driven to WDW via I95 and via I81, you would have to pay me a large sum of money for me to take I95 again
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

We are from NJ too and this will be our 3rd trip to Disney, each time driving straight thru!! My husband does the majority (if not ALL) of the driving, his choice. We found that leaving at night around 8 or 9pm is the best- the kids are in their car seats w/ a pillow and a blanket and go to sleep. They will sleep all night and usually wake up around 6am. At that point we stop, get some bagels and juice, stretch, bathroom break then get back in the car and continue on!
purpledisneyprncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #24
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink_n_pooh View Post
We drove from NWNJ (Sussex County) in September with our 4 month old DD. My biggest suggestion - DO NOT TAKE I-95! We take 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 and it is a much easier, more pleasant drive.

We stopped over at exit 94 (savannah area) in Georgia at a holiday inn express (nice rooms, free breakfast, $100 for the night) which was about 4 hours from there to WDW.

We have driven to WDW via I95 and via I81, you would have to pay me a large sum of money for me to take I95 again
I think we're going to do it this way, too, when we come down from PA. I've driven 95 from Maine to Florida many times in my life, and . . . no. Just, no.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink_n_pooh

Does it add a lot of time?
I'm like 5 miles from the George Washington Bridge so I'd have to drive across NJ on 80 instead of hopping on the turnpike in 10 min.
That said, I'm so sick of 95-plus we'd be leaving at 4 PM and if we could avoid the whole NYC-DC rush hour it would be fantastic. How's the traffic- any areas where we may get caught in rush hour traffic?
My husband asked if there are lots of places to stop for the night on this route lie on 95, because we'd be driving with no hotel res., as we want to go as long as we can before stopping.

Thanks!

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #26
Ang671
Earning My Ears

Renting an rv and driving to disney!

Hey NJ! My sister and I are looking into renting an rv and driving to wdw in November. Can an rv go on the auto train?
Ang671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #27
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

What works best for us in PA is to drive until we start getting tired and look for the nearest Hampton Inn and Suites. Usually somewhere in South Carolina. We end up grabbing one of those hotel coupon books at the state welcome centers on I-95.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #28
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynn View Post
Buy a book called Idrive95. Best book I have ever bought to drive to FL it has every exit and what is at every exit
Thank you for this! Never heard of it, and we drive from MA all the time. We do get the AAA books, but there's one for each state. We like to travel light, so one book would be great.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #29
GotLabradors
Missing Mr. Toad

Coming from Virginia Beach, we take 95 until we get to Savannah/Richmond Hill area of Georgia and then stay the night. There are a ton of hotels right off the interstate. Then we do the last 4 hours or so in the morning. We don't go to the parks that day. It's either hang out in the pool or go to Downtown Disney.

1980 Contemporary 1984 Tree Houses 1986 FortWilderness 1998 Boardwalk Inn 1999 Grand Floridian (Oct.) 1999 Polynesian (Dec.)
GotLabradors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
mlynn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Thank you for this! Never heard of it, and we drive from MA all the time. We do get the AAA books, but there's one for each state. We like to travel light, so one book would be great.
No problem its the best travel book I have ever bought.

I just bought a updated book.(my old one was from 08.) it is a life saver. I tell everybody to buy it!!!!! Some of the tolls are off. Like the Maryland into De is now $8.book says $5.
mlynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: