Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

Question Driving from NJ to Disney

We will be driving from NJ to Disney in October, and would appreciate some hotel recommendations. We will have 3 grandparents, and our DDs 7&8.

TIA
Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
ban26ana
Mouseketeer

We're doing this drive next week. We're staying at the Hampton Inn in Walterboro, SC.
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

We did this trip in November. We stopped at exit 94 in Savannah GA. There are lots of major hotels there, and chain restaurants there. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in a mini suite (2 queen beds and a queen fold out).

I would recommend this hotel and stopping point. We left Middletown NJ at 4am, stopped to visit with a friend in NC for about an hour, and made it to Savannah before 7pm. Had a nice dinner at Ruby Tuesdays, and only 4 hours to Disney the next morning.

Have fun!!

DH & Me DD13 DS13 DD10 Holly
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

We liked the Smithfield, NC Best Western, but we drive from MA.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNJ View Post
We did this trip in November. We stopped at exit 94 in Savannah GA. There are lots of major hotels there, and chain restaurants there. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in a mini suite (2 queen beds and a queen fold out).

I would recommend this hotel and stopping point. We left Middletown NJ at 4am, stopped to visit with a friend in NC for about an hour, and made it to Savannah before 7pm. Had a nice dinner at Ruby Tuesdays, and only 4 hours to Disney the next morning.

Have fun!!
Hey there Middletown!!!

I grew up just over the bridge from you in Rumson - Great parts of New Jersey!!! I played tennis in the Middletown summer league this past summer, and plan to play there again this summer. Looking for a new partner if ya play

Thats great that you left at 4am, and its what I want to do, but we are going down with my father, and my inlaws - We have already discussed it, and they will not be willing to leave that early!! What time did you get down to the DC area leaving at that hour? Was the traffic crazy,or OK? We are leaving on a Thursday, so its a work day. My father (who has done this drive probably 25 times or so) keeps going on and on about "If you don't time it right, you could get stuck in DC traffic for hours!!!"

Thanks for your response neighbor!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55 View Post
Hey there Middletown!!!

I grew up just over the bridge from you in Rumson - Great parts of New Jersey!!! I played tennis in the Middletown summer league this past summer, and plan to play there again this summer. Looking for a new partner if ya play

Thats great that you left at 4am, and its what I want to do, but we are going down with my father, and my inlaws - We have already discussed it, and they will not be willing to leave that early!! What time did you get down to the DC area leaving at that hour? Was the traffic crazy,or OK? We are leaving on a Thursday, so its a work day. My father (who has done this drive probably 25 times or so) keeps going on and on about "If you don't time it right, you could get stuck in DC traffic for hours!!!"

Thanks for your response neighbor!!!
Hey Neighbor! Rumson is a Beautiful town, We actually live in Lincroft. Do you live in Middletown? Or just play there?

We went during Jersey Week, after hurricane Sandy, while our power was out. Really if you have to choose between Disney and a power outage with a nor'easter on its way...kind of a no brainer!

We left on a Friday and we wanted to leave at 3am, to avoid DC at rush hour, but we just didn't make it out by 3. We hit DC around 7:30-8 and I was worried about rush hour. We were on the outer loop, didn't drive through the city, and we didn't hit any traffic until right after DC as we entered VA. The traffic wasn't bad, it just slowed down for about a half an hour, then picked up to normal speeds again.

We made really great time on this trip, compared to some of our other times. I was happy to be so far along the route at dinner time when we stopped. We like to get the bulk of the driving done on day 1, so that day 2 is a short drive. On a previous trip we stopped at Florence SC. It was OK, but not as nice as Savannah, and a longer drive on day 2.

On another trip, we drove straight through... that was a bit too much.

We just bought a motorhome and I am itching to book my next trip. Luckily next time we wont need a hotel, just a safe place to stop and eat and catch a few hours sleep.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
DisneyLvr55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNJ View Post
Hey Neighbor! Rumson is a Beautiful town, We actually live in Lincroft. Do you live in Middletown? Or just play there?

We went during Jersey Week, after hurricane Sandy, while our power was out. Really if you have to choose between Disney and a power outage with a nor'easter on its way...kind of a no brainer!

We left on a Friday and we wanted to leave at 3am, to avoid DC at rush hour, but we just didn't make it out by 3. We hit DC around 7:30-8 and I was worried about rush hour. We were on the outer loop, didn't drive through the city, and we didn't hit any traffic until right after DC as we entered VA. The traffic wasn't bad, it just slowed down for about a half an hour, then picked up to normal speeds again.

We made really great time on this trip, compared to some of our other times. I was happy to be so far along the route at dinner time when we stopped. We like to get the bulk of the driving done on day 1, so that day 2 is a short drive. On a previous trip we stopped at Florence SC. It was OK, but not as nice as Savannah, and a longer drive on day 2.

On another trip, we drove straight through... that was a bit too much.

We just bought a motorhome and I am itching to book my next trip. Luckily next time we wont need a hotel, just a safe place to stop and eat and catch a few hours sleep.
I live in Wayside now (part of Ocean Township). My father has a house in Florida, and I was begging everyone to drive down there after Sandy. We were without power for 11 days. I didn't care about not having lights or TV, but the no heat thing was a killer!! Thankfully, my fathers house here (also here in Ocean) got power after 7-8 days, so we just stayed there with him.

Thanks for the help on where to stop - I want to do it like you, drive as much as I can the first day, so that we don't have much to go the next day, and we can get there nice and early.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55 View Post
I live in Wayside now (part of Ocean Township). My father has a house in Florida, and I was begging everyone to drive down there after Sandy. We were without power for 11 days. I didn't care about not having lights or TV, but the no heat thing was a killer!! Thankfully, my fathers house here (also here in Ocean) got power after 7-8 days, so we just stayed there with him.

Thanks for the help on where to stop - I want to do it like you, drive as much as I can the first day, so that we don't have much to go the next day, and we can get there nice and early.
Our house was without power for 11 days as well. We already had our trip planned and booked in advance. We were lucky we were still able to go. A friend of mine was supposed to go with her family, but had to cancel and stay home to feed their generator and keep their sump pump running.

I told my DH this was our BEST drive to the world! Now that we got the MH we have to see how that drive will work out since we need to go a bit slower.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
*HappyDisneyMom*
*Dreams Come True*

Hello Fellow NJersian!!!

My family and I drive down every year, I love the drive- its an awesome road trip. We always end up at the Holiday Inn in Lumberton,NC-(its the tip of NC very close to SC) Inside the hotel itself is a Denny's, and apparently there's an awesome buffet one exit away called Fuller's that is supposed to be the quintessential "Southern Experience." Something to definitely check out!

*HappyDisneyMom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
disney_me
disney fan

We drive to WDW from Delaware and stay overnight in Florence SC. There is a nice Hampton inn right off 95. They have a free hot breakfast and a lot of restaurant in walking distance. We are driving down again in late March and staying at a remodeled Red Roof Inn. $89.00 per night.
Birthday, MAR. 2013, Waiting for another trip to plan!!

pweyl36 is my big sister
disney_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
DisneyLvr55

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_me View Post
We drive to WDW from Delaware and stay overnight in Florence SC. There is a nice Hampton inn right off 95. They have a free hot breakfast and a lot of restaurant in walking distance. We are driving down again in late March and staying at a remodeled Red Roof Inn. $89.00 per night.
$89 sounds good to me - Gotta be on the look-out for Red Roof Inns!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
mlynn
DIS Veteran

Buy a book called Idrive95. Best book I have ever bought to drive to FL it has every exit and what is at every exit
mlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
mousebymarriage
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynn View Post
Buy a book called Idrive95. Best book I have ever bought to drive to FL it has every exit and what is at every exit
Excellent suggestion...we absolutely love this book and use it every year.

We drive down almost every year from Bergen County, NJ and usually drive straight through but we have stopped over for the night in Santee, SC. Santee is approx. 12 hours from our house and there are multiple motels, gas stations, restaurants etc. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the drive down from NJ. We are heading down to Disney again June 25th
1990(DH & I first trip together-dating) * 1994(DH & I-now married 6 months)
1997(DD first trip 6 months old)and family
1998(DH, Me & DD)and family
1999(DH, Me & DD)and family
2000(DH, Me & DD)and family
2002(DH, Me , DD, DS first trip 7 months old)and family
2003(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family
2005 April(DH , Me, DD, & DS) * 2005 Oct.(DH & I only)and family/friends Adults only trip
2006(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family 2011(DH,Me,DD, DS)
2007(DH , Me, DD & DS)and family2012(DH, Me, DD, DS, DD's BFF and 2 Dnephews)
2008(Grand Gathering 17 of us)
2010(DH, Me, DD,DS)

Last edited by mousebymarriage; 01-01-2013 at 03:39 PM.
mousebymarriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
luvmesometigger
Mouseketeer

So glad I found this thread. I am in NJ too and have considered driving but it always seems like it would be a nightmare.

(DH) (ME) (DS 14) (DD 8) (DD 5)
Poly 5/1994, SoG 1/1996, Contemp 8/2004, Pop Century 6/2006, Contemp 12/2010, SoG 4/2012 POR 6/2013 AoA 8/2014

luvmesometigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Theaberdeenkid
Mouseketeer

Oh good I found the Jersey thread.
We live in Aberdeen and are DVC owners. We lost power for 9 days and left for WDW on Nov 10.
We usually take the Autotrain down to Florida. We have a 4 & 6 year old so we usually upgrade to a family cabin but coach fair is pretty reasonable. It really cuts down on driving hours plus we have our own car one we are down there.
Theaberdeenkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: