Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Well D since you are hinting around about AP's and all.....I guess I should spill the beans......DH said that we could buy APs fro this trip since we will be going back for CHRISTMAS!!!!! I get to see Disney at Christmas next year!!!! I have no idea when during November or December it will be but what I do know is that I'm going twice in one year!!!!

He didn't drink the kool - aid, he swam in it!!! I was fine with just one trip this year but then he said, "You know I really want to see Disney at Christmas. I've always said that is when I want to go. Let's go next year."

I am really leaning towards staying on site rather than off property. Anything beyond that is subject to a whole lot of if's and a bit of pixie dust.

Next up - TO Universal or not to Universal? That is the question.....
Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to share a little story of our last day at school yesterday before our Christmas break......I work in a very HIGH poverty at risk school.

In my classroom there is a sweet little boy whose family is struggling financially right now. Today he walked into our room empty handed with sad eyes staring at the floor. While the other children gave me their gifts, he went and dug in his cubby box which is NEVER allowed during the day but for some reason I didn't stop him. I actually caught myself watching him to try to figure out what he was doing since there was no reason he needed anything in there. I watched him grab a couple of things but they were so small that I couldn't see what they were. It took him a little while so by then most of the children had already given their gifts to me and sat down.

He walked over to me with clenched fists and said, "Mrs. XYZ, we couldn't get you anything for Christmas but I did get something for your boys." As he finished, he opened his hands to show me 4 little pencil top erasers (2 in each hand, 1 slightly used). He said, "I know it isn't a nice toy but they can use it at school." With tears in my eyes, I told him how wonderful it was for him to think of my boys and how much I appreciated and loved him. I hugged him a LOT longer than normal as I tried not to cry and then he sat down.

With tears streaming down my face and a lump in my throat, I sit here thinking/hoping/praying that he has a wonderful Christmas. He is such a beautiful little boy with an amazing spirit.

This little boy gets it. It's not about the big toys or the expensive things. It's about love. Gosh it's going to be a long two weeks without my babies!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
Well D since you are hinting around about AP's and all.....I guess I should spill the beans......DH said that we could buy APs fro this trip since we will be going back for CHRISTMAS!!!!! I get to see Disney at Christmas next year!!!! I have no idea when during November or December it will be but what I do know is that I'm going twice in one year!!!!

He didn't drink the kool - aid, he swam in it!!! I was fine with just one trip this year but then he said, "You know I really want to see Disney at Christmas. I've always said that is when I want to go. Let's go next year."

I am really leaning towards staying on site rather than off property. Anything beyond that is subject to a whole lot of if's and a bit of pixie dust.

Next up - TO Universal or not to Universal? That is the question.....

OH MY!!!! YAY!~! I didn't even finish reading the next post! I had to comment.... YAY for going at Christmas season.!!!!! I guess he did swim in it!

Okay, on to your next post.

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
Just wanted to share a little story of our last day at school yesterday before our Christmas break......I work in a very HIGH poverty at risk school.

In my classroom there is a sweet little boy whose family is struggling financially right now. Today he walked into our room empty handed with sad eyes staring at the floor. While the other children gave me their gifts, he went and dug in his cubby box which is NEVER allowed during the day but for some reason I didn't stop him. I actually caught myself watching him to try to figure out what he was doing since there was no reason he needed anything in there. I watched him grab a couple of things but they were so small that I couldn't see what they were. It took him a little while so by then most of the children had already given their gifts to me and sat down.

He walked over to me with clenched fists and said, "Mrs. XYZ, we couldn't get you anything for Christmas but I did get something for your boys." As he finished, he opened his hands to show me 4 little pencil top erasers (2 in each hand, 1 slightly used). He said, "I know it isn't a nice toy but they can use it at school." With tears in my eyes, I told him how wonderful it was for him to think of my boys and how much I appreciated and loved him. I hugged him a LOT longer than normal as I tried not to cry and then he sat down.

With tears streaming down my face and a lump in my throat, I sit here thinking/hoping/praying that he has a wonderful Christmas. He is such a beautiful little boy with an amazing spirit.

This little boy gets it. It's not about the big toys or the expensive things. It's about love. Gosh it's going to be a long two weeks without my babies!
Geesh, tears rolling down my face. What a touching story. I'm not an educator, but I teach CCD. I always dread the gift giving time, for this exact reason. The one that can't. We were that one on more than one occassion. I always encouraged my kids to make a card. I feel so bad for that child. But you are right, he has the true meaning of Christmas. Prayers Santa shows up in abundance at his home. Doesn't it make you want to bring him to Disney with you? I always tell DH, if I ever hit the lottery big, I swear I would pay for a less fortunate family to go to Disney.... But, I am selfish, I would want it video taped when they first walk under the train station.

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Yes, I would love to take him and his little family with us!!! He actually has a younger sister who has medical issues from a premature birth and they are all being raised by an AWESOME single mom who does an amazing job.

It would be such a blessing to see their faces when they walked onto Main Street.

P.S. he will be receiving a few things from "Santa" this year because I shared this story on my facebook page and a few friends have offered to adopt the family for Christmas. I was so excited!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Love reading your reports. Your Christmas story of the little boy made me cry- I am so glad that his family got adopted for Christmas!!! So Wonderful!!! (Also glad to see a fellow Louisiana girl on Dis)
Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell8558 View Post
Love reading your reports. Your Christmas story of the little boy made me cry- I am so glad that his family got adopted for Christmas!!! So Wonderful!!! (Also glad to see a fellow Louisiana girl on Dis)
Thank you for joining in!!! I'm glad to hear that others are reading my trip reports! Yes isn't that the sweetest Christmas story ever?!!?!? I took the erasers he gave me and put them into ornaments so that I'll always remember this Christmas with him.

I was very thankful that so many people adopted the family. We were able to deliver over $300 worth of food, toys, gifts, and gift cards yesterday to a very appreciative family. The mom cried a lot while she thanked us for the stuff. It was one of those moments that reminds us of the true reason for Christmas!

I'll be back a little later to share a pic of the ornaments with my small life update.

I sent you a PM, Shell, just a few minutes ago. Please stay safe in the bad weather tonight!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #23
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

This past weekend my hubby and I attended a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert as our Christmas gift to ourselves. We were able to convince his parents (Nannia and Poppa from our trip report) that they really wanted the kiddos for two nights so that we could do a little last minute Christmas shopping as well. I was able to go to Ikea!! I love that place!! We also stopped by the Galleria and went down to Galveston to look around a bit.

Here are a few pics from our trip - Please excuse the quality as they were taken with my phone.

The stage from the TSO concert.

There is a musician at the top of each platform. The platforms were VERY high in the air.

I'm not sure if I can link it here so I'll just tell ya'll. If you are interested, go to youtube and search trans siberian orchestra carol of the bells. That will give you a taste of what we saw.

Dee, I'm not sure you would have liked it with all the lights, noise, and fire. We loved it but I can see how it could mess with someone's sensory issues.

One of the many red lights in Galveston that you DON'T want to run.... only thing to stop you is the Gulf of Mexico.

A picture I took from the ferry of the other ferry

A brown pelican in the water

Lastly, I wanted to share a pic of the ornament I put together with the erasers. I purchased two small plastic ornaments that I put "snow" in. Then I placed two erasers in each ornament. On the front of each ornament I wrote his name and the year 2012. Here's a photo of the back of the ornament...

Lastly tonight I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas! All of my friends in the southern states PLEASE stay safe tonight and tomorrow!!!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #24
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Love the pics! Was that at the Woodlands? (One of my favorite places to see a concert!! We were there last month to see Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean)

Have you seen the house that is lit up and is synchronized with the music from the Trans Siberian Orchestra? It is located on Alder Street. You would love it- I believe they have a website. ( lakearealightshow.com)
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell8558 View Post
Love the pics! Was that at the Woodlands? (One of my favorite places to see a concert!! We were there last month to see Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean)

Have you seen the house that is lit up and is synchronized with the music from the Trans Siberian Orchestra? It is located on Alder Street. You would love it- I believe they have a website. ( lakearealightshow.com)
Nope it was at the Toyota Center although we love the Woodlands too. We went to see the house on Alder Street last night after church and the traffic was not moving and backed up far down Ham Reid Rd. so we decided to go back another night. I'm hoping they do it a little while after Christmas too so that we can see it! Thanks for letting me know about it!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #26
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Try turning on Aspen or Birch instead of Alder and follow it down. T here is a connecting road at the end- Hawthorne. You can see the lights from the opposite side of the street. We have gone three times and we are always the first or second car in line. Perfect!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
cstorm65
DDC #699

I followed over from your last trip report as I sit here snowed in on Christmas day. We are going in June of 2013 as well. am a high school teacher/coach and DW is a elementary counselor so we are taking advantage of the end of school as well. We leave June 1!

We went to TSO a couple of years ago...it was awesome. Looking forward to reading about your preparations.

Merry Christmas!
cstorm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstorm65 View Post
I followed over from your last trip report as I sit here snowed in on Christmas day. We are going in June of 2013 as well. am a high school teacher/coach and DW is a elementary counselor so we are taking advantage of the end of school as well. We leave June 1!

We went to TSO a couple of years ago...it was awesome. Looking forward to reading about your preparations.

Merry Christmas!
Thanks for joining us!!! Ahhh to be snowed in.....I think I would enjoy that once! Instead we had storms for Christmas but luckily we fared really well and no tornadoes where we live or where we were spending Christmas. Snow would have been awesome but I hate the cold so I'm thankful that most winters here are mild.

Looks like we will be neighbors for part of our trips!!! Boardwalk Villas were also a choice for us but I'm not sure about the slide. Geez....the clown scares me! Anyways, silly I know but that's the truth.

Yes we loved TSO this past weekend. It's definitely something we will have to do again!

Merry belated Christmas to you as well!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

So here's the problem except that it's not really a problem at all......more of a choice......

We are going to buy AP's for our June trip. We couldn't decide between adding the days at Universal since it's buy 2 get one free right now OR just adding water parks and more to our AP's (I think that makes them premium if I used the right word). It all works out to about the same in the end. I'm voting for water parks and more. Here's why.....

We would at most spend only two days at UO so the buy 2 get one free doesn't help since you still have to buy two at regular price. Also, if we do UO during this trip, we would miss out on an opportunity to do the water parks this time. There is no way I'll do water parks in Nov./Dec. but I would go to UO in Nov./Dec.

Lastly, we were talking this weekend on our long car ride home and talked about squeezing in a third trip on these AP's to "get our monies worth" in late May 2014. If we buy the premium AP's we could possibly do water parks on that trip too.

So after ALL that babbling, I'm saving enough money for the Premium Passes. I wish DH would take advantage of the golf part of this pass as he loves to golf but won't go alone. I know he would love to use the trails at Disney. I just wish we had friends who were going the same time we were.

So I leave you all with this - Tell me about Quest. Do you pay to play inside once you are in the building or is it all free since you pay to get in? What kind of games are inside? Would my 10 and 6 year old enjoy it? Would they never want to leave? (This seems to be a problem with them.)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #30
cstorm65
DDC #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3

Thanks for joining us!!! Ahhh to be snowed in.....I think I would enjoy that once! Instead we had storms for Christmas but luckily we fared really well and no tornadoes where we live or where we were spending Christmas. Snow would have been awesome but I hate the cold so I'm thankful that most winters here are mild.

Looks like we will be neighbors for part of our trips!!! Boardwalk Villas were also a choice for us but I'm not sure about the slide. Geez....the clown scares me! Anyways, silly I know but that's the truth.

Yes we loved TSO this past weekend. It's definitely something we will have to do again!

Merry belated Christmas to you as well!!!
We have the same thought about the clown, but i saw that they are renovating the Boardwalk pool from January to March. We are definitely hoping that means they are getting rid of the clown in favor of a new slide. I am trying to figure out what all is being done if the renovation takes 3 months. That seems like a long time if they are just replacing only a slide. At least we will get to see pictures before we leave.
cstorm65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: