Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's the most important feature of your favorite resort?
Room size / amenities 22 21.57%
Resort theme / overall feel 81 79.41%
Restaurant & dining options 15 14.71%
Transportation / ease of park access 36 35.29%
Pool! 9 8.82%
Resort activities (games, kids clubs, etc.) 1 0.98%
Shopping / other resort facilities 4 3.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

What makes a resort your favorite?

I've noticed that people have a variety of different reasons for choosing their resorts - price, room size / amenities, theme, pool, restaurants / food options, transportation, etc. I'm curious as to which of these factors is most important; if all things were equal (taking price out of consideration), would you choose a resort with a great theme over one with easy access to the parks, or one with a great pool area over another with great restaurants? Which of these factors is the MOST important to you?
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
karly05
DIS Veteran

1) Location, location, location
2) Theme/"looks"

I love the Beach Club because of the lovely stroll to Epcot and the boat to DHS, and because it's just so pretty, the whole look and style of it is very appealing to me. I love the whole Epcot Resorts area and, if money were no object, would probably always choose to stay there.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Not on the options but size does matter to me. The smallest the resort the better and that's why POFQ is my favorite. It doesn't hurt it has an awesome bus system as well. CR and BC are tied on second favorite because of their location and access to the parks.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

I go for the theming

My goal is to try to stay at as many of the WDW resort as possible. We make the resort a part of our vacation and I love to explore them. Walk the grounds, hit the shops, eating at the restaurants, and explore inside the lobby/buildings, just looking at the attention to detail that Disney puts into everything. So far the WL is my favorite resort with the Poly a very close second.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMouseketeers View Post
I go for the theming

My goal is to try to stay at as many of the WDW resort as possible. We make the resort a part of our vacation and I love to explore them. Walk the grounds, hit the shops, eating at the restaurants, and explore inside the lobby/buildings, just looking at the attention to detail that Disney puts into everything. So far the WL is my favorite resort with the Poly a very close second.

What you said here kind of hits on one of my dilemmas (okay, one of several dilemmas) about planning my next trip (whenever that is). To me, my priorities are:
1) Resort theme
2) Transportation
3) Pool
4) Restaurants (having a good fast casual place)

I also like the idea of visiting a new place, & exploring a new resort. However, for our tastes and budget (we've had good success renting DVC points), we've already visited our favorite two (BCV and VWL). I just don't see another DVC resort that has enough other attractions that we'd really want to stay there, despite the fact that it would be new and different.

For example, having stayed at the Beach Club, the Boardwalk looked really interesting. I think I might have liked the theme even more than the Beach Club. It has the same easy access to Epcot & HS, but no Stormalong Bay. Without SAB, I just don't see why I'd stay at Boardwalk. Sure, it would be new and different, but we can walk over to the Boardwalk & eat at the restaurants when staying at BCV anyway, but you can only swim at SAB if you're staying there. New resort vs better pool?

Being huge fans of the MK, we'd be interested in staying in Bay Lake Towers. It's in easy walking distance to the MK, and and an easy monorail to Epcot, our other favorite park. The restaurants also look pretty good. However, the pools look only mediocre, and I really don't like the theme - I know some people love the CR, but it just looks like a regular hotel to me. My DW keeps reminding me that we rarely spend any time at the resorts anyway (although we're trying to change that), and easy access to MK trumps everything, but I'm just not convinced yet...
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Picked transportation option because we're in 'location' category being the most important factor in deciding where we stay. We come from the west coast, can only afford to come every 3-4 years to save until we can afford the Epocot resorts. Just the location thing, and the fact that we love WS!

Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
toodycat
DIS Veteran

Our favorite is the GF and one of my reasons is the smell. All those floral arrangements give the lobby a beautiful scent We love the lobby in general and the pianist and band especially. We also love the dock at night for the fireworks and the courtyard pool. Dinner at Narcoosee's is a tradition for us. The GF rooms are nice, but without the lovely lobby and great atmosphere, they wouldn't be enough of a draw.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
fall08CP
Cheesehead

Honestly, the memories I've made there. We stayed at CSR growing up so it's very nostalgic for me. I worked at a deluxe for a few years so I have special memories there as well. That matters more than the theming or location to me
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Rcoast911
Earning My Ears

I like a resort that has great walking trails/sidewalks. I love CB and Saratoga along with the Wilderness Lodge.
Rcoast911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
bcrook
DIS Veteran

No perfect package for me.

I too am torn every time on choosing our resort.

Boardwalk area is my favorite, but the DVC resorts don't provide the right space. AKV has been our go to resort lately, because we love the feel and the okapis. Plus we like the extra bathroom and the sleeper chair.

I think VWL would be nice to. I like the boat option to MK.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 12-15-2012 at 11:17 PM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Our favourite feature of any resort of the location. We are adults only and often after being in the parks, we will end up at DTD or the Boardwalk. If we're within walking distance to one of these things, we much prefer it then worrying about a bus or taxi at the end of the night.

I also prefer somewhere in the resort where I can get my coffee in the morning before hitting the parks. Once I'm in the parks, I like to get going.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Theming is first for me. We haven't stayed DVC but do love both WL & BC. I agree with your Assesment of BWI. If we are staying in the Epcot area it has to be BC or YC for SAB.
We also love AKL. It's a beautiful resort with plenty to do there. We build in a mid day break to come back to our resort to enjoy the amenities, take a swim break and relax. We aren't commando type staying at the parks from opening to closing. Way too exhausting! Did that the first time! Came home needing a vacation from our vacation
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I would say the theme and the location are the major things I want in a resort. I want more than just a place to sleep. We have been to the parks many times and don't need to spend all day there and go on every ride.

We like the Epcot resorts because of the relaxing atmosphere. The location is prime for easy access to Epcot and the restaurants on the Boardwalk. We will be staying for the first time at WL in February. And again our reason for choosing that resort was the theme and the location.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I think Kidani/Jambo would be perfect if there was a dedicated train to Animal Kingdom to an "international gateway" like entrance. This would be equivalent to the boats at OKW, SS, VWL, and the boardwalk. Also similar to monorail and walk in options at other deluxes.

I love the way the train looks going to rafiki planet watch. I would like to ride that to a special gate on the west side from AKL.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

All of the above except the last two.

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: