Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #61
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Background checks would not have stopped what happened yesterday. That is not what they are for. Having classrooms that are more secure is great, but a person could know when the kids switch classes, go to lunch, go to gym class etc. Then there is the kids who are outside and vulenerable at lunch. What if this tradegy occurred bc the gunman got accessed to the cafeteria etc. No where to hide there.

And not all schools can provide other exits from the classrooms, we have two floors and two wings. Cant get the kids out from a second floor very easily. Plus the money to provide an alternate exit would once again be too much for some schools.

If this guy was determined to hurt kids and others he could have waited for the kids to be outside leaving school, at lunch outside playing, he could have shot at windows etc.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #62
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
Yes, one of my son's elementary schools was the same way. I really liked that design, because it meant you could escape from multiple points. Most of the school yesterday could have evacuated immediately if they were in a setting like that.
Even if they had ways to evacuate the school, it most likely would not have happened.

Most lock-down procedures do not call for outside evacuations because you never know who or what is waiting outside.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #63
krcit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
Background checks would not have stopped what happened yesterday. That is not what they are for. Having classrooms that are more secure is great, but a person could know when the kids switch classes, go to lunch, go to gym class etc. Then there is the kids who are outside and vulenerable at lunch. What if this tradegy occurred bc the gunman got accessed to the cafeteria etc. No where to hide there.

And not all schools can provide other exits from the classrooms, we have two floors and two wings. Cant get the kids out from a second floor very easily. Plus the money to provide an alternate exit would once again be too much for some schools.

If this guy was determined to hurt kids and others he could have waited for the kids to be outside leaving school, at lunch outside playing, he could have shot at windows etc.
Exactly. He could have waited for recess. Buzzers, locks, background checks..none of that will do anything except make some parents feel better. If a pyscho is determined to do something like this, they will do it. It's horrific and heartbreaking but I hope the day never comes where teachers are armed in our schools.

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #64
hereyago
DIS Veteran

When dd14 was in elementary school in 5th grade they were put on lock down from another student in which police had to be called. Prior to this they had drills so they knew what to do. She is now in 9th grade and I have no faith in her school because a student pulled a gun on another student in the bathroom. School was never put on lockdown. The guy left the school was seen leaving and even then no lockdownwhereas in other neighboring cities if someone is spottted with a gun near a school automatic lockdown. Since then still no drill just a couple random searches. There are no huge metal det2ctors they just have wands but only used them a couple timeson a random bus. Kids left the bus got into gym and they wanded over back packs. The school has 1 door that peope can go through after school is in then a security guard to sign you in.there are also trailer classrooms that are easy targets. The ones who survived will always remember what happened you should feel safe at school,work and home. I can't imagine sending my kid to school and her not coming home. Parents aren't supposed to bury their kids.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #65
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
Really? You must not have young kids in school. It would take very little money to beef up the doors in each school. Worth it to me.
I thought he was speaking about the safe rooms underneath the school, the interior courtyards for recess, etc. That I think is just not feasable.
My high school had a courtyard, and my children's middle school has one too--there is no way they are big enough for recess for hundreds of kids.

My kids' elementary school where I work part time was built in the early 1930s.
The "new" wing was built in the 50s. It's built on a hill, so 2 stories inthe front, 3 stories in the back. The PreK, K, 1st and 2nd grades, and 2 of the 3rd grade classes could escape out a window. The other 3rd grade class and the 4th and 5th are up too high.

I work in the office and I would love for them to have a holding room of a sort between the outside doors and doors into the rest of the building, but they just have the outside doors.
A friend of mine is a teacher and her school has that--though it's a half wall and the rest is glass, not bulletproof, so that's still not 100%.

The classroom doors are wood with a window. Old. I think they are probably the original doors with newer locks.

The gym doors don't even lock. I was in there when we had a lockdown drill a couple of months ago and I told the principal that if kids are in there(it is directly at the end of the main hall, right down from the main office) and something happened, there's no way to stop anyone from coming in.
He said he knew and he had told the administration, but nothing happened..and it's still that way.

I sincerely hope that changes and I will bring it to the superintendents attention myself if it doesn't.

The lockdown procedure is to pull the shades on the door, lock it and get the kids away from the door and into the back of the classroom.

The kids eat lunch in their classroom(no lunchroom) and I also am a lunch supervisor in a 4th grade class, and every day, as long as it's not raining or under 40 degrees, we take the kids out. 400 kids outside at the back of the school, spread out over 4 fields and a blacktop, wide open, not a fence, nothing.
What are we going to do though? Keep the kids locked inside all the time? Even if it was fenced in, people could shoot through a fence.

I think we just have to take realistic precautions(like steel doors, like a holding area between outside and interior doors)and just pray that our children remain safe.

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #66
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

It could have been a lot worse. During dismissal, half the staff and all the kids are outside, either waiting in the carpool line or walking to their bus. The fact that the shootings were isolated to the office area and 2 classrooms is amazing. From what I heard, the time from when the shooting was first reported until it ended was 2 minutes. It could have been a lot worse.

We have doors to the courtyard in our classrooms(PreK/K classes) but the courtyard is inside the area that is fenced in. If we got out the door, we would still be trapped on school property.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #67
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiesfeld07 View Post
A group of teachers discussed after school that this might change schools forever. No more parent volunteers, no more visitors without searches or background checks. It's something to think about.
That doesn't make any sense at all.

None of that would have mattered for any of the mass school shooting in the US.

Mad man walks and starts shooting. None of them have tried to 'sneak' in.

My daughters elementary school locks the doors during non dismissal hours. While it's good to limit access, only a fool would think it will stop any of these madmen from getting in.

First of all, the schools have windows. What are we goign to do? Change them all to unbreakable glass/lexan? I laugh at the "buzz in" policy at her school. I could just break the glass and unlock the door myself if I were so inclined.

Second, why wouldn't a shooter just wait for arrival, recess or dismissal if that was done?

Visitors or parent volunteers. I'm not aware of single parent volunteer ever shooting (or stabbing) a student while they were volunteering.

Knee jerk reactions and lack of thought and logic are why madmen continue to have success murdering our children.

I do like the background check for volunteers and I'm not sure any school has volunteers nowadays without giving them checks. My sleepy little town does.

As to the security guard or cop, first one to be shot. Columbine had armed security and that didn't work out.

Arming those teachers and faculty that want to be armed is the only solution. Israel figured it out decades ago and ended mass shootings in school, there hasn't been a successful one since the 70's.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. It's time to do the right thing and let people defend themselves and in this case, our children too.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #68
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
First of all, the schools have windows. What are we goign to do? Change them all to unbreakable glass/lexan? I laugh at the "buzz in" policy at her school. I could just break the glass and unlock the door myself if I were so inclined.

The front door at my kids' school has only a small window up high. You wouldn't be able to reach the release mechanism. On the downside, that makes it nearly impossible to see OUT, so everyone is pretty much buzzed in automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
Second, why wouldn't a shooter just wait for arrival, recess or dismissal if that was done?
Recess, yes. And not that these murderers are rational, but arrival & dismissal means lots more adults on the scene, some of whom *may* be armed - most of whom are concerned with the well being of their own child first, not charged with protecting an entire class. So, I think an intruder could potentially face a lot more resistance during arrival & dismissal.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #69
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Most schools have multiple entrances/exits. I am thinking of my DS9's school and there are several, none that a person determined to get in and they could shoot out a door, it would not hold them back. It would slow them person down to have them locked.

There are gym doors, cafeteria doors, alternate entrance doors, maintenance doors. All schools are vulnerable. I have been in enough with kid's playing sports to notice that most would not have prevented what happened on Friday from happening.

Recess is a very vulnerable time for our kids. We have these little weeny chains that keep people out. The heating guy moved them the other day and started to drive back with kids playing, the lunch monitor had to quickly run over there to stop them and tell them to come back.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #70
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

If a shooter is determined to do this he'll get in, and I'm sure none of us want our kids' schools to turn into maximum security prison like structures.

I believe the solution is to pay attention to people and get them help. I refuse to believe that his mom didn't have any idea that he was sick, why on earth did she keep guns at home? Was he seeing a therapist, on medication? Until we destigmatize mental health and have open honest conversations when loved ones are in trouble this will continue to happen.

Yesterday a friend of DS was sending him some scary texts, DS was upset and eventually told me. I called the kids mom, and while I can't know what she was thinking or feeling, her response was not what I expected. She was incredibly nonchalant and she basically said " that's weird, he's been fine here, oh thanks have a good day". I hope that was just her cover because when your kid says he hopes everyone dies and he's going to break the glass and stab himself that's a little more than "weird".
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #71
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
The front door at my kids' school has only a small window up high. You wouldn't be able to reach the release mechanism. On the downside, that makes it nearly impossible to see OUT, so everyone is pretty much buzzed in automatically.

Recess, yes. And not that these murderers are rational, but arrival & dismissal means lots more adults on the scene, some of whom *may* be armed - most of whom are concerned with the well being of their own child first, not charged with protecting an entire class. So, I think an intruder could potentially face a lot more resistance during arrival & dismissal.
Have you ever been at a high school at dismissal time with 1700 students rushing to make the bus, get to their car or just head out to walk home? It is pretty chaotic. Someone with a gun could do a whole lot of damage in a very short period of time. The lobby is completely full of people, it's hard to get there when you have to break up a fight.

Sure there are staff and parents there, but what exactly could they do? After school we have an attendant in the parking lot. There are at least two monitors (usually more) in the lobby. The police liason office is either out front or in the lobby. Generally all three assistant principals and a good number of teachers in the lobby area as well. The only person who is armed is the liason officer.

Now imagine even half of the staff being armed - makes a huge difference, doesn't it?

They way things are now, school security is a complete illusion. The events of Friday proved that again.

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #72
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemountainmom View Post
Have you ever been at a high school at dismissal time with 1700 students rushing to make the bus, get to their car or just head out to walk home? It is pretty chaotic. Someone with a gun could do a whole lot of damage in a very short period of time. The lobby is completely full of people, it's hard to get there when you have to break up a fight.

Sure there are staff and parents there, but what exactly could they do? After school we have an attendant in the parking lot. There are at least two monitors (usually more) in the lobby. The police liason office is either out front or in the lobby. Generally all three assistant principals and a good number of teachers in the lobby area as well. The only person who is armed is the liason officer.

Now imagine even half of the staff being armed - makes a huge difference, doesn't it?

They way things are now, school security is a complete illusion. The events of Friday proved that again.
I'm just saying that from the perspective of one who might plan such an event, the potential for resistance would be much greater with more adults around - even HS aged students would be a much bigger potential deterrant than elementary aged children and an unarmed & in this case an apparently all female staff. And yes, the threat of a potentially armed staff could be a deterrant as well, at least from the lone gunman POV. Not so much with a bomber, probably
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #73
Friend of a Mouse
Braille: To touch words and have them touch you back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I live in a town much like Newtown; sleepy, family oriented, people rarely lock doors.

However, the school district takes multiple safety measures.

All parent volunteers must go through a background and fingerprint check before they are allowed in the classroom.

Schools have all doors locked and visitors can only enter by the front door. They ring the bell, office has both video and direct vision of person at door, they unlock door.

We have regular fire, lockout and lock down drills.

However, all this can be moot as Sandy Hook also had brand new security system with locked doors, etc. The shooter apparently forced his way in.
Unfortunately even if he had been a volunteer, no background check would have helped because he had no prior history. While I wholeheartedly believe in having background checks, they only work if the person has already been caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
From what I understand, the shooter shot out the windows in the door to gain access to the windows. You would need a building with no windows or with bars in order to have stopped him. As somebody said, someone determined to do this, will, unfortunately, find a way. I did like that somebody mentioned that all classrooms has doors that lead outside. That sounds like a good idea.
I think the first part is not having glass doors. I don't know what Sandy Hood had, but all the schools in my dsitrict have full glass doors, so it would not be hard to gain access like he did. You are right, a person who is determined to get in will. But these things are always over in a matter of minutes. The more you can slow that person down until the police get there, the better the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvPluto View Post
Even having door that lead outside may not help. At our one school that had doors to the outside said, the best thing to do is hide and not go out the back. The reason for this is that you do not know if a shooter is outside waiting for people to leave, so they could shoot someone as they ran.

A good solution would be to have armed police or a principals carry a weapon. I strongly believe that if the principal from yesterday had a gun kids would have been saved. All it would have taken is a shot to the head.
I do not believe a principal should have a gun. Think about gun safety. Where would the principal keep it? Locked in an office? What good would that have done them? These occurrences are extremely rare. If it is on the principals's person, what if a student gets ahold of it? I've seen principals get assaulted b y students, what if the gun discharges in a scuffle? Also, one shot to the head? It normally doesn't work like that. Unless your principal is a crack shot, life isn't like the movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemountainmom View Post

Yes, it makes a huge difference. You would have a lot more fatalities in that situation. There would be many people caught up in the crossfire. Now imagine the school resource officer or other police arrive and suddenly you have multiple shooters. They have no idea who the original shooter is and who is trying to defend themselves. That could go south extremely fast and result in a higher number of fatalities. I understand that we all want to feel like we are doing something to keep ourselves and our kids safe, but a knee-jerk reaction of having more guns in school is not the answer.

I think schools do need to review their policies. You are right, somebody can do this during dismissal, recess, etc. What I think is interesting is that so far, none of the modern ones have. Since the 90's, all the ones I can remember happened when class was in session. The only exception was Jonesboro where they pulled the fire alarm to get the students out of the building.

Procedures need to be considered as do things like the doors at the main entry points. Nobody can fully stop something like this, but if we can slow them down enough, give police the chance to respond, we can decrease the number of fatalities. Schools also need to have good plans on what to do if God forbid somebody does decide to break the pattern and go after student in gym, an assembly, recess ,etc. NOthing will ever be 100%, but that does not mean we should not try to make it as safe as we can (within reason),

Worked for the Mouse: 2004-2007 (Attractions and Entertainment) Polynesian with family: 2004, 2005, 2007 POFQ and Disney Cruise with family: 2006 POFQ Honeymoon: 2010

Book Challenge 2014 /52. Currently reading: Cain's Blood by Geoffrey Girard
Finished: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard Independent Study by Joelle Charboneau The Customer Rules by Lee Cockerell
Friend of a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #74
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

All of this has my head spinning. It's just so tragic and so hard to comprehend. Given what happened, I honestly believe that we could protect our schools in every possible way, but if someone is determined to hurt someone they will find a way to do it.

That's what they police have told us about our home alarm. We can have it locked up and have the very best alarm system out there, but if someone wants in they can break a window and be in and out before the police could even arrive.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #75
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of a Mouse View Post
Unfortunately even if he had been a volunteer, no background check would have helped because he had no prior history. While I wholeheartedly believe in having background checks, they only work if the person has already been caught.

I think the first part is not having glass doors. I don't know what Sandy Hood had, but all the schools in my dsitrict have full glass doors, so it would not be hard to gain access like he did. You are right, a person who is determined to get in will. But these things are always over in a matter of minutes. The more you can slow that person down until the police get there, the better the outcome.

I do not believe a principal should have a gun. Think about gun safety. Where would the principal keep it? Locked in an office? What good would that have done them? These occurrences are extremely rare. If it is on the principals's person, what if a student gets ahold of it? I've seen principals get assaulted b y students, what if the gun discharges in a scuffle? Also, one shot to the head? It normally doesn't work like that. Unless your principal is a crack shot, life isn't like the movies.

Yes, it makes a huge difference. You would have a lot more fatalities in that situation. There would be many people caught up in the crossfire. Now imagine the school resource officer or other police arrive and suddenly you have multiple shooters. They have no idea who the original shooter is and who is trying to defend themselves. That could go south extremely fast and result in a higher number of fatalities. I understand that we all want to feel like we are doing something to keep ourselves and our kids safe, but a knee-jerk reaction of having more guns in school is not the answer.

I think schools do need to review their policies. You are right, somebody can do this during dismissal, recess, etc. What I think is interesting is that so far, none of the modern ones have. Since the 90's, all the ones I can remember happened when class was in session. The only exception was Jonesboro where they pulled the fire alarm to get the students out of the building.

Procedures need to be considered as do things like the doors at the main entry points. Nobody can fully stop something like this, but if we can slow them down enough, give police the chance to respond, we can decrease the number of fatalities. Schools also need to have good plans on what to do if God forbid somebody does decide to break the pattern and go after student in gym, an assembly, recess ,etc. NOthing will ever be 100%, but that does not mean we should not try to make it as safe as we can (within reason),
I still believe that having TRAINED armed personnel in the schools would help. The reason these lunatic gunmen come into schools and movies theaters, etc... is that they know they are in control. They aren't too afraid of anyone else having a gun. If you knew that 50% of school staff were armed and trained, would they be as willing to come in and shoot? I don't know...I'm not a lunatic. I'd like to think that someone in that school had been armed that the death count would have been much less. Maybe it is a knee jerk reaction, but we can enact a million more gone laws and it's not going to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and lunatics.

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: