Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
momz
DIS Veteran

security in schools

I realize there are situations that could never be imagined and therefore never prepared for.

Our schools have fire drills, tornado drills and "lock down" drills which essentially just means they lock all the doors and don't permit anyone in the hallways.

So, I'm wondering, how can we realistically talk to our children about what to do if there is a shooter in the school? What should we tell them to do? What are the schools telling them to do? Anything?
momz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momz View Post
I realize there are situations that could never be imagined and therefore never prepared for.

Our schools have fire drills, tornado drills and "lock down" drills which essentially just means they lock all the doors and don't permit anyone in the hallways.

So, I'm wondering, how can we realistically talk to our children about what to do if there is a shooter in the school? What should we tell them to do? What are the schools telling them to do? Anything?
I really don't know to say to my child, if there a shooter in the school, The only thing I can think of is hide and pray
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
*3*Mouseketeers
Mouseketeer

My daughter is in 3rd grade and her school actually had a drill about 2 months ago. They were told that if someone came in the school that did not belong they were to turn off the lights, lock the door, get under their desks and be really quiet. My daughter told me that if the Principal came on the loudspeaker and said "There will be a school meeting at 5:00 today" that was their sign to do the above. One of the problems that I have with the situation, is that the school office is in the back of the building! You pass the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade hall, the cafeteria, the auditorium before reaching the 4th and 5th grade hall (where the office is). I would prefer the office be near the front where people can be watched more carefully. It's scary.

1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1991, 2001 - Offsite
2007 - Pop Century
2011 - Pop Century
2012 - ASMo
2014 - ASMu
*3*Mouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

I would tell them to follow any school adult directions. If there was an intruder they would go into lockdown mode. In my building, teachers are instructed to move the classes to a location away from windows and doors in the room and check the hall for any other children and pull them in and lock the door. We then have to make sure windows are covered and we are silent. Support staff and administration then check the building to make sure everyone is safe. If you are unsure of your child's school safety procedures, I would check a parent handbook ( if available ) or ask for a copy of the safety procedures.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

Connecticut School Shooting: Up to 28 Dead, 20 Children
Sorry to hear that.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Where I used to teach, we had a safety drill every semester. When the code was announced, we were instructed to turn off all lights and deadbolt our doors. All students needed to be out of sight of the windows and needed to be as quiet as possible. We were to stay put until a uniformed officer came into the classroom for an all clear.

This is what I will talk to my kids about when they are school aged. My biggest concern is that somehow the kids would be coaxed out of the room with an "all clear" and then the gun man be waiting outside the door! This is why at our school we waited for an officer!
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
Where I used to teach, we had a safety drill every semester. When the code was announced, we were instructed to turn off all lights and deadbolt our doors. All students needed to be out of sight of the windows and needed to be as quiet as possible. We were to stay put until a uniformed officer came into the classroom for an all clear.

This is what I will talk to my kids about when they are school aged. My biggest concern is that somehow the kids would be coaxed out of the room with an "all clear" and then the gun man be waiting outside the door! This is why at our school we waited for an officer!
This depends on the school - I never attended a school with deadbolts or anything close on the doors, or officers of any kind.

In general, I'd say if you're concerned, talk to the principal/head about the school's plans for such an event and what the teachers are meant to do and THEN discuss with your kids.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
minnieandmickey
Queen of the run on sentence!

Don't be afraid to ask your school what training they give to their staff. I can tell you the training my school gives is nothing. Seriously, nothing, a couple of pages in a binder that teachers never look at, and I called out my admin on it today. He said "we've done drills" and I asked when was the last one, he couldn't answer. I looked at one of our new teachers and asked "what do you do in a lock down" She said she didn't know. He said that isn't fair she's new, I said she's a teacher! In times of crisis you fall to the lowest level of training. Ask your school! In most states it is state law to have fire drills, but nothing about these types of situations. When's the last time a school has burned down and there were victims? Before today when was the last school shooting. Please I beg you demand your school does drills and often
My life at Disney: DL - started in 1978 too many times to count. First time AP holder in 2012, spent a total of 14 days! WDW- 10th anniversary- May 1999(Dixie Landings), 2005(off site),2006(POP/POFQ),2007(WLV),2008(AKV),2011(OKW) DCL- 3 day Bahamas Wonder 2002, 4 Day Bahamas Wonder 2006, 7 day Western Caribbean Magic 2007, 20 days on the Magic 2008, B2B Panama Canal and 5 day double dip, Sarah's gradapalooza 4 day Bahamas on the Dream and 7 Day Eastern Caribbean on the Magic 2011, DLP, October 2013
Up next Best Aunt and Uncle WDW/DCL, taking DNiece on her first trip! November 2014, Miami Western Caribbean October 2015 B2B Fantasy KK Reunion Cruise, Eastern Caribbean, October 2015
minnieandmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Friend of a Mouse
Braille: To touch words and have them touch you back

I am the chair of my school's Emergency Preparedness Team. We do what many schools do: lock the doors, turn off the lights, and hide. Our district's safety guru told us last year that studies have shown that the gunmen look for passive victims and do not expect somebody to fight back. He said the indication is that if you get the kids to throw books or balls at them and then get several kids to rush the gunman (particularly the gun hand) you can stop the shooting as it will be unexpected and will disarm them. He did state that there is a high likelihood that those children will be shot, but when the alternative is sitting passively and getting shot...

I don't know that I could ever ask my students to do that. Maybe throw things, but never rush them. I think I would do that myself. I just can't believe that we live in a world where we have to even consider such things for elementary students! It's heartbreaking. Thankfully these things are such big news precisely because they are a rare occurrence. And I hope they stay that way.

Worked for the Mouse: 2004-2007 (Attractions and Entertainment) Polynesian with family: 2004, 2005, 2007 POFQ and Disney Cruise with family: 2006 POFQ Honeymoon: 2010

Book Challenge 2014 /52. Currently reading: Cain's Blood by Geoffrey Girard
Finished: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard Independent Study by Joelle Charboneau The Customer Rules by Lee Cockerell
Friend of a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

In our district, administrators have to document when we have the various drills and how long the process took.There is also a schedule of when we have to complete them.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Our school has a fence on three sides with a gate that is locked. All traffic must flow through the front door by the office. This door is locked and someone must unlock the door for them to enter. If there is a danger to students in the school, we close the blinds, turn out the lights, lock the doors and get to the corner furthest away from windows and doors. We have a bathroom in our classrooom, so I take the students in there and lock that door as well when we have a lockdown drill.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
lthiesfeld07
Mouseketeer

In the beginning of the year, we had fire drills, tornado drills and lock down drills. Unfortunately, there is no way to truly predict exact scenarios.
Our lock down procedures have three phases. The 1st and 2nd are similar: lock the doors and continue teaching as normal. The 3rd phrase is to make sure the doors are locked and to hide the children.

I think the most horrifying part of this story (for me as a teacher) is that the shooter was a child of a teacher. At my school, children of teachers are frequent visitors at school. If were to see one of them at school, I wouldn't think anything of it.

A group of teachers discussed after school that this might change schools forever. No more parent volunteers, no more visitors without searches or background checks. It's something to think about.

This is just my opinion of course.
1997- Dixie Landings * 2002- ASMo * Aug 2011- Off-site Jan 2012- CBR * April 2012- OKW *June 2012- ASMu *September 2012- Pop/Kidani *March 2013- ASMu/Kidani *July 2013 AEP- CSR/Contemporary *October 2013- ASMu/Contemporary *December 2013- POR June 2014 Engagement Trip- AKL-Jambo

lthiesfeld07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Axel
Introduce a Little Anarchy. 1979-2008
Pi a la ModeJack, I swear…

My high school was locked down fairly tight.

Building was situated one mile from the entrance to the school "driveway", isolated with no other roads in or out.

After 7:20am, no entry through any door but the main entrance (doors locked). To get in, you enter the first set of unlocked doors, then provide identification to a secretary through a window, state why you're there, they call whoever is vouching for your presence to confirm, write you a pass if confirmed, and buzz open the second door.

Security cameras in every hallway and stairwell.

An on-site police officer--I'm sorry--"School Resource Officer".

No weapons allowed on campus. (I live in a rural area, most students defined "weapon" very loosely as they did not see their multi-tools as weapons, they were tools, and got in trouble for it.)

All students were eligible to be subjected to drug tests or searches if there was probable cause.

Students could not carry backpacks or bags during the day without a doctor's note (I had one because my back is messed up enough that if I carry my books in my arms I can't do anything without pain, not even sit in class).

Lockdowns could happen at any time for any reason, real or drill. I had at least one drill a year and at least one drug dog run a year where they would lock down the building and run the dogs through).

Drills for evacuations, fires, etc happened twice a semester.

Teachers instructed us that if anyone were to get into the school we weren't supposed to sit passively by, that, as a PP said, gunmen are statistically likely to be surprised if the targets fight back. Students sitting nearest the door were told this double.

Yep. That was my high school. "San Quentin High", they called it.
September 1996::WDW 25th Anniversary::Fort Wilderness\\October 1999::Millenium Celebration::FW\\November 2001::WDW 30th Anniversary and 100 Years of Magic::FW\\December 2004::Purchased DVC::FW\\ November 2005::WDL 50th Anniversary::Saratoga Springs Resort\\December 2006::Year of a Million Dreams::SSR\\August 2007::Pirate and Princess Party::Boardwalk\\November 2007::YoaMD::SSR\\February 2008::with Lissy::Villas at the Wilderness Lodge\\August 2008::with Nora::Old Key West\\December 2008::with Shianna::SSR\\February 2009::What Will You Celebrate?::Beach Club Villas\\January 2010::Un-Birthday:::Animal Kingdom Lodge\\May 2010::Dad's 65th/With Molly::OKW\\January 2011::Un-Birthday::Bay Lake Tower\May 2011::With Nora::BCV\\May 2012::One More Disney Day::OKW\\January 2013::Damon's First Trip::OKW\\March 2013::Spring Break with Sarah::OKW\\May 2013::College Grad!::VWL\\July 2014::ACTUAL BIRTHDAY TRIP!!!::Villas at the Grand Floridian\\October 2014::Food and Wine Festival::OKW\\December 2014::Christmas with Dan and LouAnn::OKW\

You must always remember to smile.

restaurants eaten at: 143/251
my blog
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

The reality is if something like this happens there is nothing you can do. These things are usually over in minutes not hours.

Sort of like saying "what would you do if a semi-truck crosses the lane and is headed straight at you.

Its a scary world for our children, but if you need a comforting thought, its a heck of alot safer for our young kids in this country, then most places and most times in history.

Imagine your children having to grow up in Vietnam in the 60's , or Scotland during the middle ages, or the middle east at any time in the past???
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
mjantz
DIS Veteran

One thing I'm going to ask that we consider adding is an off-campus 'safe area'. Sounds like a lot of those kids were told to head to the fire station. In the event of an emergency where we had to leave the campus completely I'd like the idea of a known safe area to congregate.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: