Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Just Keep Swimming - March 31-April 7, 2013 - Closing Thoughts (Updated 5/17)

Intro

When: March 31-April 7

Where: Bay Lake Tower, March 31-April 5 and Animal Kingdom Lodge April 5 and April 6, 2013.

Who: Me.

(this is a photo from my last TR since the new photobucket is being stupid and is taking FOREVER to download photos. I dont wear the black boot any more.)

My name is Susan and I design irrigation systems for a landscape architect. I am hopelessly addicted/obsessed with Disney. I very much enjoy our time there with my family. I am also known as Scooter Mom and I did have to use a scooter again this trip due to a very bad ankle injury last year resulting in surgery and several months of recovery. I still struggle with it and even though I am much better and getting around a lot more, I still needed the scooter for the parks.

My DH

He works in management for a chemical company and tolerates my obsession and sometimes enables it as well. I think he loves it as much as I do. Well, maybe not that much, but he really seems to enjoy it.

My DS

He is 13 and getting into those teenage years where there is pouting and moping. But we are getting through it. For the most part, he is a really great kid though and he makes me laugh all of the time.

My DD

She is 10 and my closest Disney ally in the family. We are always discussing our upcoming trips and counting down. She always looks forward to the trips as much as I do. Shes a sweetie.

Here they both are at Chef Mickeys

Why: Spring Break duh

We came up with the trip report name as we were trying to navigate the crowds. We were singing Just Keep Swimming from Finding Nemo as we happily plowed our way through the crowds. We conquered them - the crowds. We did everything we wanted to do and never waited more than 20 minutes for anything. Even when the crowds for the day were rated a 10. We were so proud of ourselves. Come on along and I will tell you about it. Sing along with me ..

Just keep swimming
Just keep swimming
Just keep swimming swimming swimming
What do we do we swim, swim, swim

Last edited by jecskc; 05-17-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm here; I probably won't be able to catch up until we get back. But saving my spot in the meantime.
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

Yay for Chef Mickey!!!! On the night of the MK 40th fireworks I was quoting Nemo as well, but I was saying "swim down! Swim Down!" as the people trying to get out of MK were batting the hordes trying to get in. Can't wait for more vicarious living!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
pellegirl
Mouseketeer

I'm here!!! Finally a trip report over Spring break. That is the only time of the year we can go and not going this year I am intrigued as to how you managed the parks so well with crowds. We have done ok in the past but always looking for more tips. Can't wait to hear more!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
RobDIS
Mouseketeer

We were there a few of the same days as you (3-7th) and I've been singing Just Keep Swimming to myself all day!

We also didn't have too much trouble with crowds, but I think the days we were there they were "only" 9s. Looking forward to your report!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm here; I probably won't be able to catch up until we get back. But saving my spot in the meantime.
Hey Kathy !! Looking forward to reading yours when you get back !! We were leaving as you were arriving !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Princess View Post
Yay for Chef Mickey!!!! On the night of the MK 40th fireworks I was quoting Nemo as well, but I was saying "swim down! Swim Down!" as the people trying to get out of MK were batting the hordes trying to get in. Can't wait for more vicarious living!
Hey Lm !! We really enjoyed Chef Mickey's. Every time we got into a crowd, DD would get behind me and hang on and we would sing ...Just keep swimming ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellegirl View Post
I'm here!!! Finally a trip report over Spring break. That is the only time of the year we can go and not going this year I am intrigued as to how you managed the parks so well with crowds. We have done ok in the past but always looking for more tips. Can't wait to hear more!
So happy you are here !! I hope I can provide some tips along the way that help you manage the crowds better next time you go. Reading lots of TR's myself has provided so much good info. I have learned so much from reading others' experiences. We have been for Spring Break 3 times and every time we had a blast. You can still have a lot of fun even at peak times. You just have to manage your trip well.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
SRiley1985
Mouseketeer

I'm in! I can't wait to hear about conquering the crowds. We are going in July for the first time this year (8-9 crowd level) and I'm scared
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
MEK
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to another TR!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDIS View Post
We were there a few of the same days as you (3-7th) and I've been singing Just Keep Swimming to myself all day!

We also didn't have too much trouble with crowds, but I think the days we were there they were "only" 9s. Looking forward to your report!
Haha. So you know exactly how we felt, then. I think even the 9s and 10s are manageable if you get to the parks early and use fastpass wisely. There were a couple of days where we didn't get to many attractions because we got to the parks later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRiley1985 View Post
I'm in! I can't wait to hear about conquering the crowds. We are going in July for the first time this year (8-9 crowd level) and I'm scared
Don't be scared !! You can do this and still have a great time. You just have make the things you REALLY want to do a priority. And rope drop. I know not everyone wants to get up early, but it really paid off for us on several days. Plus, in July it will be so much cooler in the morning.

Last edited by jecskc; 04-10-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to another TR!
Hey Mary Ellen !! I hope you are enjoying Hilton Head. We were talking at dinner during our trip about maybe checking that out this summer. It is only about 2.5 hours away from us. I hope you do a TR or at least a mini-TR and tell us all about it !!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

yea Love your reports.

I know the just keep swimming thing... That's so funny ... We kept saying that too.... Hahaha

We waited more than 20. Minutes though.
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Got your message and I am in!!! Looking forward to reading your trip report!!!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia's mom View Post
yea Love your reports.

I know the just keep swimming thing... That's so funny ... We kept saying that too.... Hahaha

We waited more than 20. Minutes though.
Hey Janet !! I think it was more crowded when you were there. We could have waited more than 20 minutes, we just chose not to and came back and do them later when we had a fast pass or right after rope drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Got your message and I am in!!! Looking forward to reading your trip report!!!
Hey Rachel !! I am so happy you are here !! How is Corey doing ?? All better, I hope !!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
hlrababy
Disney Princess ~Tinkerbell, sprinkle me with your pixie dust~ That castle is mine!!

Hey Susan!! So excited to read about your trip. I am now singing it in my head....

just keep swimming

just keep swimming.....

I think I will go watch Nemo
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi Susan! I saw your updates on the live thread but I want to join in here!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: