Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #61
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
Having an absolute blast. Hit Disneyland Saturday evening after arrival. Got a corndog, saw the parade, rode Alice, rode Dumbo, watched fireworks, then we left but DH stayed with DS7 and they did Star Tours, Matternhorn, Nemo and Astro Oribtors before closing.

Had Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast Sunday morning, then toured Hollywood. I know Goofy's has been getting mixed reviews, but we thought it was great. Saw Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Mulan, Aurora, Perla, Baloo, and Rafiki.

Today we hit California Adventure. Didn't see as many characters as I thought we would, but we hit almost every ride and saw the Pixar parade. Got what I think would have been a good spot for the 8:15 World of Color, but then they came by at 7:45 to say the show was cancelled due to technical difficulty. We'll try again Wednesday.

I got disappointed b/c I thought Lunar New Year ended today and we just missed seeing Mickey twice, and just missed seeing Mulan and Mushu. They were leaving, but DH saw where they were headed so he ran over there and DD got a hug from both of them before they started their processional down the street. But, I missed getting pics. We did get some really awesome pics with Minnie though. The kids were wearing yellow and red today, and it looked great with Minnie's red dress and orange and yellow background. Then just now when I got on the DIS, I see that it's through Wednesday! I already felt very silly for being upset about it. (Well, I didn't get really upset, I just kept kicking myself for not heading back there sooner. Time got away from us and I knew we were cutting it close when we went to head back there from Monster's Inc, then on the way we hit the end of the News Boys show with Mickey and the kids just had to stop and watch... I knew I should stop thinking about it, but I just kept thinking about it.) Now, I feel REALLY silly. DH definitely thought I was being silly. He won't understand at all why I want to go back Wednesday!

That was longer than I planned. Was going to just be highlights before I hit my rant! Can't keep my eyes open anymore!

Tomorrow we hit Disneyland!
Glad you're having fun! Did the kids adjust to the time difference? Was everyone wowed when you pulled up to the PPH?

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #62
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

We're back. Trip was great. The 2 year old did not adjust well to the time change, and got spoiled bed hopping all night, so we're having sleep issues now. Disney is exhausting enough, but not sleeping well during the trip and now that we've returned has been rough. Plus trying to catch up on laundry and work. But, I'm sorting pics and I'll be starting the trip report soon.!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #63
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Glad you made it back safely. Sleep issues are no fun!

Excited to read your TR and hear how it all went.

PHXscuba
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #64
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

testing...

Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #65
rnorwo1
DIS Veteran

Cute pic! Can't wait to read all about it! I'm especially wondering about crowd levels during Mardi Gras... WDW was packed, hoping it won't be next year at DL.
rnorwo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #66
DisSmis
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to see more pics. I love the balloon box announcement!
DisSmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #67
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to see your pics!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #68
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

OK Lindy, you're gonna start all the trip report photos when I'm already gone, right? So I will have to catch up when I return. Good luck!

PHXscuba
Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #69
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorwo1 View Post
Cute pic! Can't wait to read all about it! I'm especially wondering about crowd levels during Mardi Gras... WDW was packed, hoping it won't be next year at DL.
The crowds were less than 2011 when we went to WDW for Mardi Gras. That was a late Mardi Gras and we hit the early spring break crowds. I've heard that this year at WDW was even worse. At some points the DLR parks got congested for walking, but with the exception of RSR and Friday evening, our lines were definitely shorter than we've ever experienced at WDW. Next year will be another late Mardi Gras, early March like 2011. You may want to see how the crowds in DL are right now to get a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSmis View Post
Can't wait to see more pics. I love the balloon box announcement!
Thanks. It was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Can't wait to see your pics!
I'm working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
OK Lindy, you're gonna start all the trip report photos when I'm already gone, right? So I will have to catch up when I return. Good luck!

PHXscuba
Sorry. I should have the first part up soon! Takes so long to sort the pics when you take 10 shots just to get one good one with all kids looking! Have a great trip!

Last edited by lsulindy; 03-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #70
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

We had a noon flight and woke up at our regular times, which for my children is about 6:30 am.

When I got out of bed, my daughter had already drawn a picture of "M Wacke", and "the baby" is helping by coloring him green. It was sweet, and a great welcome to the day. (The baby's 2, but will be called the baby in this recap, because I'm the momma and he's my baby! I'll also take this time to mention that I haven't called my kids by name, and won't in this recap, because I don't want them to be "googleable" but their names are on their shirts and I know you can see them. I'm weird, but just go along with me. ha)

I had finished most of the packing the night before, and although I was a little stressed and frazzled, the morning was pretty easy.

I had packed backpacks for each kid with the activity book, a zipper case with new Crayon twistables and some pencils, a blanket, jacket, headphones, Kindle Fires, and snacks. The kids were thrilled with their books and ran outside to show the neighbors before I could take a pic!

And here are some pages:

That's a lot of pics of the book. Didn't realize I had so many.

Continued here.

Last edited by lsulindy; 03-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #71
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

arg. Photo issues.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #72
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Can someone let me know if they see 3 Mike Wazowski photos? Those are on shutterfly, I was swapping over to using them b/c I found it to be easier, but now it seems there are display issues... Sometimes I see 3, sometimes I just see one?

And, the workbook pics are all oriented correctly on photobucket. But, here some are sideways. grrr...

ETA: Just changed the urls for the Mike Wazowski/Shutterfly pics. Seems to be showing up now, but with white borders.

Last edited by lsulindy; 03-07-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #73
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

The "Birthday Girl" was very excited to get dressed and put on her special shirt.

At 10:00, my parents (coming on the trip with us) and the in-laws (driving us to the airport) arrived. We loaded up and headed to the airport right on time. Much to the surprise of everyone.

Grabbed a quick lunch at the airport.

Sitting in the baby's carseat. He thought that was pretty funny.

And, in no time at all, it's time to board.

Enjoying a few snuggles before he has to get buckled into his seat for the 4 hour flight.

The kids did so great on the flight. Better than I ever could have imagined. At one point, the man in front of dd complained that she was kicking his seat. But, it was really her taking her activity book in and out of the pouch behind the seat.

We didn't get to see too much of the country. It was almost solid clouds the entire way.

During the flight, the lady sitting next to dd and my mom mentioned that she was bringing shrimp and crawfish for her friends in California. Our flight lands, and we head to baggage claim. I was worried about LAX, but I didn't find the airport to be bad at all. We didn't have to walk far to get our luggage. As we're waiting for our bags, we see 3 ice chests come down the conveyor belt onto the carousel. We joke about the lucky people in California who are getting some good Louisiana seafood. We get all of our bags and head out to find the shuttle to Enterprise. It was very close to the baggage claim exit. We all comment on how easy LAX turned out to be.

There's a shuttle there, but they don't have room for all 7 of us, so we wait about 10 minutes for the next one and head to get our rental car. While waiting, someone comments that it smells fishy. Someone else notes that it's odd and says, "Well, we are by the coast, I guess" Can you see where this is going? Cause, in hindsight, I'm shocked that none of us did!!

After a short shuttle ride, we're at the rental car lot. We load the luggage onto a cart and head in. My mom and I sit on a bench by the luggage with the kids while DH goes to stand in line to get the keys. A man from the VIP/Rewards counter comes over and tells dh that he can help with with no line since he doesn't have a customer. DH heads over there. Just then my mom and I are realizing that it smells here too. All of a sudden, I screech "Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!" My mom doesn't understand what's going on, but then it hits her too. I lower my nose to our bags and our fears are confirmed. Our biggest suitcase has been soaked in crawfish juice.

DH quickly comes back to get the luggage and bring it outside, and we break the bad luggage news to the menfolk. We go outside, install the car seats and boosters (we'd packed boosters into our luggage) into the mini-van, load up the luggage, and head to DL.

The kids got a kick out of the "giant donut"

Continued here

Last edited by lsulindy; 03-20-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #74
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

On Harbor Blvd

About 45 minutes later (about 4:30), we arrive at the Desert Inn & Suites, our home for the next week. Enjoying the view of Disneyland while dad checks in.

Sign across from pedestrian entrance on Harbor Blvd.

using the zoom

My mom had arranged a week-long ECV rental from Deckert's, and it was waiting for us in the lobby. The front desk clerk gave my mom the keys and instructed her on its use. Everything went well with the rental, and the price was much cheaper than renting from Disneyland. Plus, my mom would have had a hard time on the walk to the parks, so this was a great option for her.

We have a "B" Family Suite. Which is 2 adjoining rooms priced as one. We had 4 queen beds, 2 TVs, 2 full bathrooms, 2 microwaves, and 2 small refrigerators.

Here's our half:

Looking at the room layout, I assumed that the rooms had previously been adjoining rooms, but had been remodeled into a Suite. I was expecting a single room number and a regular door between the rooms. Not because anyone had led me to believe that, it was just an assumption on my part. But, that wasn't the case. It's just adjoining rooms. Both rooms had a separate room number, each had it's own key cards, and the door between the rooms was the typical adjoining room doors where there are two doors and each can be locked from the inside, so both parties must unlock their doors to allow entry between the two sides. This didn't bother me, but since we'd paid one price for both rooms, I was a bit surprised.

The rooms were large, well-lit and clean. I really liked that there was a large light over the entire vanity area and a large bright light in the bathroom. I usually find that bathrooms in hotels can be very dark and that was not the case here. Two minor annoyances were that the adjoining doors were right behind the entry doors. We kept the adjoining doors open for most of the trip, but if someone came in through the exterior door, it would bang into the adjoining door. Not a big deal, but annoying. There was also only 3 small drawers on each side, my parents had no issue unpacking, but we couldn't unpack all of our clothes, so we partially had to live out of the suitcases. For the price, I was very, very happy with the rooms, but those were two minor negatives.

We quickly remove all the clothes from the noxious suitcase and are thrilled to discover that the smell did not permeate onto the contents. DH throws the suitcase into the bathroom, turns on the vent, and closes the door. It's 5:15 pm, and we head out ready to conquer Disneyland and thrilled that we'll be able to catch the 6:30 parade as I'd hoped!

Continued

Last edited by lsulindy; 03-20-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #75
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

So, when I left off, we were heading over to Disneyland for the first time!! We loved the quick walk from the Desert Inn and Suites.

I didn't want to deal with 3 kids and the DSLR in Disneyland, but my point n shoot had been dying on me. DH was very sweet and surprised me with a new point n shoot for Christmas. It's a Canon just like my previous 2, but it just didn't handle harsh sunlight, glare, or dark pics well at all. For a point n shoot, my previous camera handled these situations rather well. I was pretty bummed.

We're going to Disneyland!

Had to take a quick break on the walk in to pose with the Mickey head benches.

It's 5:30 on a Saturday evening and we get in a not too long line for entry. We have our at home printed tickets in hand. There's a CM working the gate, and another CM with the camera phone in front of the gate. We're a few people back in line, and I motion to the camera CM that we had new, print-at-home tickets. Thinking he could come do our pics while the people ahead of us went through. He said that the CM working the gate will check to see if we need pics. I'm thinking "I'm holding printed 5 day tickets. It's obvious we need pics." So, we get up to the gate CM and she scans the first ticket and then looks at the front CM and says "Oooh, they're going to need pics!" He says "They do? Really?" She says "Yes" He says "Oh ok, I guess you do need pictures." I'm like "Yes, we sure do"

So, I had purchased the 4 tickets for my family with my credit card. My name was on the order and my name automatically printed on the first ticket. I go through the gate (I went through the swing open gate rather than the turnstile b/c I'm pushing ds in his stroller) and stand on the inside of the swing open gate while the photo CM stands on the outside and takes my pic and scans the ticket. Then, he gives the ticket back to the gate CM and she scans it for entry. Then they ask DH for his license. He shows his license, and they ask him to spell his name out loud. He spells it twice, she repeats. Finally they print his ticket. He goes through the turnstile, then around the turnstile to stand behind the swing open gate where the camera CM takes his pic from the outside of the gate, then the camera CM gives his ticket back to the main CM who scans it. He then stands there and spells my daughter's name twice, CM repeats, once they have her name, they print her ticket, she goes through the turnstile, around by the gate and takes her picture, gives ticket back to be scanned, and again for my son.

Here's a pic I snapped when DH is spelling DD's name. Seems like it would be very simple to allow you to input everyone's name at home when you order the tickets. Would save a lot of time.

So our crew is through, and DH is complaining to me about what a ridiculous system they have. We move away so as not to clog the walkway while we wait for my parents and go take this pic by the Mickey head.

After a while, we realize that something is not right. My mom was on her scooter, so my dad handed the CM their tickets. I have a credit card of my parents issued to me in my name. I was supposed to use this card to buy their tickets for them. However, I'd read here that the credit card name is printed on one ticket. So, I called my mom to find out exactly how her name read on her card and put her name on the order instead of mine. I thought I had it all figured out and taken care of. Well, since my dad handed them the tickets, they gave him the ticket printed with my mom's name and took his pic for it. So, he had to wait for a manager to come over and reissue his ticket with his name.

I wanted to get a Birthday Button for dd, so I headed over to City Hall with dd and ds2, while dh and ds7 waited to straighten out the ticket situation with my parents.

Taken from City Hall line at 5:45 pm on Saturday.

Checking out the map. I was going for a candid shot, but she caught me.

Birthday button!

balloons

The crew arrives and the ticket situation has been taken care of. We're starving at this point because we haven't eaten a meal since breakfast Louisiana-time, so we decided to get corn dogs, grab a spot for the parade, sit and eat while we wait. DH doesn't like corn dogs and for some reason dd doesn't want one, so DH heads across the street to get something (turns out to be hot dogs) from Coke Corner, while my dad gets corn dogs from the Red Wagon corn dog cart. The rest of us grab a spot on the curb. The street is very congested but there are still lots of spaces available to sit and wait for the parade. Most people are just walking through. I tried to take a number of pics at this point, but my camera was not agreeing with the darkness.

I tried a few main street shots, but most are fuzzy.

I thought the Astro Orbitor looked great lit up, but none of my pics came out...

After a bit, the guys return with dinner. We were so happy to finally eat!

The corn dogs were huge and delicious!

After our dogs, DH grabs us some popcorn and I decided to go redeem our Photopass+ voucher. By the time we're both back, it's almost parade time.

I had ds2 in my lap for the parade, and I videoed it, so I didn't get any pics. I was sad that I couldn't see ds's face. He was SO excited to see all of his favorite characters, and I loved seeing him wave his chubby little fingers and yell out their names. When Simba's float comes, the girl next to us (maybe 8?) yells "Lion" and ds2 yells "Simba!" That cracked me up.

The video isn't the greatest, but I love all the sweet 2 year old excitement!

Soundsational video

After the parade, we head into Fantasyland from the Tomorrowland side. The crowd is thick, and it seems much darker than WDW. But, maybe it just seemed that way to me because I know the WDW layout. But it seemed really dark, we had a hard time figuring out where everything was and got ourselves a little turned around. We come up on side of the Alice ride.

It's a 20 minute wait, and we decide to make that our first ride. My mom parks her scooter and decides to get in the regular line, because it's dark and the crowds are thick and she doesn't want to have to wander in the dark to figure out where she needs to go. I didn't want to argue with her at the time, but this wound up being a mistake b/c she was in a lot of pain after waiting in the line.

I quickly realize that any concerns I had about ds2 being scared on dark rides is completely unfounded. He had NO FEAR and loved every second of the trip.

Continued here

Last edited by lsulindy; 05-10-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: