Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
tink_lover
POLKA PRINCESS

Grandchild's birthday

First off, this will be a bit of blowing off steam. Why would a grandparent, who is perfectly capable, not call or do anything to acknowledge a young (tween) grandchild's birthday? It drives me nuts. I'm tired of defending them. The other set of grandparents is older (in their 80s) and somehow manages a card/phone call. The older I get, the less tolerant I get of the behavior. There was no excuse not to call - Grandma was posting on Facebook tonight. I guess that was more important.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Don't defend them anymore. Let your child call the grandparents on it next time they're around, if the child feels comfortable doing it. This can be done in a polite way. The grandparents will continue the bad behavior if they know you'll cover for them.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I was raised with a set of Grandparents who never said happy birthday. While it has always been a disappointment, there is nothing I can do to make them interested in me (or any of us grand kids). As hard as it is, I would just let your child decide if they care, and if they are really upset, share that info with the GP do they realize the effect their response has.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink_lover View Post
First off, this will be a bit of blowing off steam. Why would a grandparent, who is perfectly capable, not call or do anything to acknowledge a young (tween) grandchild's birthday? It drives me nuts. I'm tired of defending them. The other set of grandparents is older (in their 80s) and somehow manages a card/phone call. The older I get, the less tolerant I get of the behavior. There was no excuse not to call - Grandma was posting on Facebook tonight. I guess that was more important.
For Christmas (Hanukkah, whatever), get them a calendar that has everyone's birthdays & anniversaries already marked.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I understand how you feel, but I don't think there is really anything you can do to change it.

My Mom (she's 75) doesn't give her grandchildren (2) or her greatgrandchildren (7) gifts on their birthdays either. She doesn't send them even a card, or call them. She will wish them happy birthday on Facebook, but that's it.

I think it's awful. It's not like she can't afford to give them a gift or a little cash, she just chooses not to.

I would have to be on my death bed not to acknowledge my grand/great grandchildren's birthdays with a gift, money, or even just sending a card.

She complains that they "never come to see her" but she doesn't go to see them either, even when I tell her the road does go both ways. Some of them she only sees on Christmas, even though they only live 30-45 minutes away.

Our DD has birthday parties each year for their DS and DD, my Mom won't even go to the parties "because she'd have to buy a gift", so they don't even bother inviting her anymore. I think it's really sad, but there's nothing I can do. Except NOT be "that kind" of Grandma.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
tink_lover
POLKA PRINCESS

Agree that I won't be that kind of Grandma!

It is just our kids. The other grandkids (children of all my SILs) are acknowledged on birthdays. I get that it is a situation out of my control and won't change. It is just one of those for me.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

Smiles -- lots of them.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Sometimes you have to let life unfold as it has to and not stress over things you cannot control.

Your children will relaize soon enough that their Grandmother treats them differently from the others and that will color their relationship with her. Nothing you can do about it....she will reap what she sows...
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink_lover View Post
Agree that I won't be that kind of Grandma!

It is just our kids. The other grandkids (children of all my SILs) are acknowledged on birthdays. I get that it is a situation out of my control and won't change. It is just one of those for me.
Just out of curiosity, has it always been this way, or is this a recent phenomenon? If she did used to recognize your kids event, have they (or you) been good about sending thank you notes?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

I agree. Take this as a lesson of what "not to do" when you become a Grandma.

Three of my grandparents died before I was born (died young), and my one remaining grandmother was not a very good grandma. She never came to anything, never called, etc. When I was young I thought it was "because she lived far away," but she really only lived about 45 minutes away and she could drive. The only times we saw her were when we went to see her.

My mother is a fantastic grandma. She has told me that she knows that we got shortchanged in the grandma department, and she doesn't want to be that way with her own grandchildren. My kids are actually lucky to have pretty good grandparents on both sides -- and a wonderful great-grandma on my husbands side.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
JamesMom
DIS Veteran

My mom was never the motherly type, much less the grandmotherly type. When I announced I was pregnant with my first she pulled out her calendar and wrote the date - that's it - didn't attend my shower or anything. When I packed up her house after her passing she had unopened stacks of mail including all the pictures of the kids over the years - none managed grace her walls with her beloved Star Trek signed photos. So you can guess their birthdays were never acknowledged (heck, I never got a card/call on MY birthday after college). Oh well. My kids were small enough to not notice the sllight.
I plan on spoiling my grandkids rotten!

Trip Report: May 9-15, 2010 - Mother & Son at POR w/Free QS Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36675492

Trip Report: December 14-20, 2008 - Mother and Son (6yo) at Contemporary w/Free Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2038015
JamesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

My MIL has started this with our kids and DH and I are not happy about it. She won't acknowledge my son's birthday because he is DH's stepson and therefore not a grandchild or family at all. She doesn't acknowledge my birthday because, again, I am not family.

For DD's birthday, DH's biological child therefore real family, DD received a birthday card and a certificate made on MIL computer for a shopping trip the next time she is in New York. And to clarify why this is so bad...We live in Florida and DD turned 3 last week. This is how MIL thinks she is going to get us to magically come up with the finances to take a trip to New York. I can guarantee that none of the grandkids that live in New York got a certificate for their birthday.

Now, my mother, when she was alive, spoiled the grandkids and loved it. My father spoils the kids which is horrible since he lives with us.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
caitlinsmom
Mouseketeer

My ILs can't be bothered. They called on DD's birthday to ask DH a question and as an afterthought asked DH to wish her a happy birthday. She was right there yet they didn't want to talk to her.

They are like this with DS and DNephew also but my other BILs son (and his half sister) they are good grandparents. It sucks when they care more about a child that is not blood (BIL's ex-wife's daughter with her new husband) than they do their other 2 son's kids.

My parents and step-dad more than make up for it though.
caitlinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761
My MIL has started this with our kids and DH and I are not happy about it. She won't acknowledge my son's birthday because he is DH's stepson and therefore not a grandchild or family at all. She doesn't acknowledge my birthday because, again, I am not family.
I would be livid! That's ridiculous! Is your son old enough to realize that she chooses not to celebrate him?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Sometimes you have to let life unfold as it has to and not stress over things you cannot control.

Your children will relaize soon enough that their Grandmother treats them differently from the others and that will color their relationship with her. Nothing you can do about it....she will reap what she sows...
This, EXACTLY!!!!!
Don't defend or 'enable'.
And, NEVER ever hope or expect for any change or anything more.
These people ARE who they are. Issues and all...
Any expectations or attempts to get them to 'do what is right' will only result in more stress, drama, and heartache.

The best, and only, way to handle it is to just acknowledge reality.
This is the way it is.
This is who they are...
And then move on in the most positive way possible from there!

You really have to adjust your expectations and reactions (and your relationship) on your end.

Do not send out a calander, with your dates and expections pre-listed.
Do not, under any circumstances, have your child engage in 'calling them on it'.
I would never subject my child to that kind of stress, negativity, battle.
I truly do not think that any of those kinds of efforts would have a productive or positive outcome.
Wishing on a star is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: