Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Instead of bringing suitcases, we use large rolling duffel bags. The kind that had wire inserts that you can remove to fold it up. They store easily under the bed. We are then able to store our dirty clothing in them. By the end of the cruise most of our clothing is in the bags and does not need to be packed. Easy peasy!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
Weedy
DIS Veteran

We use a clear over the door shoe holder. That way you can see what is in each pocket. The 1st time we didn't have a clear one and I thought it was a pain. Each person gets a row, for their stuff, the youngest gets the bottom row and go up as they get older. That way everyone can reach their stuff. The extra rows are for sun screen and such. We put it on the outside of the door because it's seems when ever you need something someone is in the bathroom. I put it over the door of the one (if you have a split bath) with the shower, that way if you need something when you are in the shower you can open the door and reach and get it.

Have a different place for everyone to keep their shoes. My son put his between the couch and the balcony window, my daughter between the desk and the balcony window, my husband and I in the closet. Tripping over shoes drives me crazy!!

As the clothes get dirty put them in a suitcase, it will make packing the last night easier and keep things neater.

Their is a small counter when you 1st walk in. Have everyone put their KTTWK (room key card) there everytime!!! if not you will spend lots of time and energy looking for cards.

No need to bring extra hangers ask your room steward for more if you need them.

Have a great trip.

Last edited by Weedy; 12-15-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #18
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready123go View Post
Same way. You just don't get all of the air out, but enough to keep everything pretty much in place. Not perfect, but close enough. I use it in the hotel, the night before a cruise, so it does get unpacked and repacked.

This is more along the lines of packing organization than cabin organization, but, what I like about doing this is, it distributes the bulky stuff across the suitcase. When bundle packing, I center it in the middle of my clothes.

Of course, YMMV - what works for me doesn't work for everyone, but I love it.
Thanks. I may give this a try and see if it works out for us. Normally, I just fold the shoe holder flat and throw all the stuff that will be stored in it in a packing cube. But, on our next trip we are moving multiple times and I've been trying to figure out how to shave off some packing and unpacking time.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
ready123go
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
Thanks. I may give this a try and see if it works out for us. Normally, I just fold the shoe holder flat and throw all the stuff that will be stored in it in a packing cube. But, on our next trip we are moving multiple times and I've been trying to figure out how to shave off some packing and unpacking time.
I have been toying with putting the self-adhesive Velcro coins or strips at the top of each pocket, as a closure, but not quite that ambitious.

Small Hijack - I used to pack for space (one carry-on per person, packing sleeves, etc.). I have decided I hate packing. Too much time and too much shifting stuff around for weight vs. bulk. So I am trying some new methods for ease of packing and unpacking. Last trip I put all our clothes on wire hangers. Shoes in bottom of duffel (right side), undergarments/swimsuits etc. in packing cubes in top of duffel (left side). I then draped the clothes over the duffel, placed the toiletries bag in the center and folded both ends of the clothing bundle over.

Overall, it worked really well. However, there were a couple of difficulties, such as protecting the clothing from the end of the hanger and the hangers (Real Simple Slimlines) didn't all make it. I used an old towel to wrap around the hanger ends. Disclaimer - We use a casual wardrobe, so I could care less about a few wrinkles (learned that lesson ).

Also, we needed new luggage, so this year I made sure to buy duffels that will stand on end (tired of struggling with floppy duffels) and a couple of wardrobe spinners. I also bought some heavy-duty wire hangers (flexible, but not flimsy). I'm hoping these items solve the few things I found irksome!

Last edited by ready123go; 12-16-2012 at 09:02 AM.
ready123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

I know I'd be happier if I just learned to pack less stuff, but I'm such a pack rat! I don't think I'll ever get there.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I also pack a shoe holder that hangs in the closet with pockets on each side. This works great to keep my shoes, DD's & DS's straight. DH takes a couple and keeps them on the floor of the closet. I also use a hamper under the desk and pack up the dirty clothes after 3 days in a trashbag in one of the suitcases then slide it back under the bed. Helps to have the packing in process instead of waiting until the last night.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #22
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

I'm not sure why you would let the in-laws talk you into just one cabin. Why couldn't they have just been in the next room so that you could have connecting cabins for your family??? And, if you are in verandahs, you can open between if you are on the Dream or Fantasy.

As far as organization, we use the over the door shoe organizer on EVERY trip we take, it is now a staple for us. I don't pack it full, I just smash it down and pack it. I use space bags to pack our clothes in, each person gets 2 HALVES of a bag...I combine our clothes in case a suitcase gets lost. I use the space bags that you just seal and roll (or lay on) to squeeze out the air.
We have found that on the Magic, storing suitcases is a bit of a problem, but the Dream and Fantasy both have higher beds, allowing our suitcases to fit nicely. Also, I take full advantage of any storage in the room. Our dds each get assigned 3 drawers and 3 pockets in the shoe organizer. I hang up any clothes I can in the closet.
We are to the point where we typically have connecting staterooms for the 4 of us, our dds (9 & 12) are not the easiest to share space with! lol
So, I let them organize their own room, with a little guidance. They do pretty well.
Good luck!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
rosermama
DIS Veteran

We were just on the Fantasy and we hung as much as we could. There are shelves im the closet we put our shoes in there. We split up the drawers and at one end of the dresser there were shelves my husband used for his tshirts since all his shorts got hung up. We each get a shelf in the bathroom and that's plenty for us, the extra not always needed stuff goes under the sink.

We keep 2 suitcases close to the end for easy access 1 we put stuff we buy or want to keep like navigator in there to try and keep the place clean. The other dirty clothes but I agree every other night I fold the clothes up while everyone is getting settled into bed makes it easier at the end of the week for packing
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
ready123go
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
I know I'd be happier if I just learned to pack less stuff, but I'm such a pack rat! I don't think I'll ever get there.
lol
Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #25
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96
Packing cubes! They really helped to keep everything organized and neat in the suitcases and made unpacking really simple. Just take them out of the suitcase, fold the top under and place in a drawer or closet. I got a 3 piece set for all of us and a set of the slim cubes and it fit all of our clothes for 3 people.

http://www.ebags.com/category/travel...FYuZ4AodQ3IA-g
Sorry to crash in on this thread but these look great! Do you think ebags are better than the other cheaper brands around? Thanks
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
ready123go
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Sorry to crash in on this thread but these look great! Do you think ebags are better than the other cheaper brands around? Thanks
I can only speak about Ebags and Travelon. Both are good quality, but I would recommend Ebags over Travelon for the following reasons:

1) Lots of colors - you can pick a different color for each family member and/or type of clothing. i.e.-we have raspberry for me & navy for DH, I use orange for swimwear & green for sleepwear. They also have coordinating shoe bags!

2) Lots of sizes - different sizes allow you some flexibility

3) They are soft sided - Ebags' collapse, Travelon are more rigid, so they take up more space in storage and are slightly less flexible when packing

4) Ebags is always having a sale. You can add to your bags at reduced prices.

We chose our colors to coordinate with some Eagle Creek Pack-It folders that we found. This way we can use our travel organizers for both business and leisure.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #27
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready123go

I can only speak about Ebags and Travelon. Both are good quality, but I would recommend Ebags over Travelon for the following reasons:

1) Lots of colors - you can pick a different color for each family member and/or type of clothing. i.e.-we have raspberry for me & navy for DH, I use orange for swimwear & green for sleepwear. They also have coordinating shoe bags!

2) Lots of sizes - different sizes allow you some flexibility

3) They are soft sided - Ebags' collapse, Travelon are more rigid, so they take up more space in storage and are slightly less flexible when packing

4) Ebags is always having a sale. You can add to your bags at reduced prices.

We chose our colors to coordinate with some Eagle Creek Pack-It folders that we found. This way we can use our travel organizers for both business and leisure.
Thank you so much. Actually that was very helpful because colour coordinating is important to me. Its just me and DW but we usually do a cruise and WDW (DVC ) so we could have a colour each, plus we could separate our cruise/wdw items. I am disabled so although I get out all the items to take DW packs it all and it drives me mad I can never find anything at the other end! This way easy! Love it! I will see if they sell Ebags in the UK ( we live here ) if not will get some on our next trip!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

. . . Do you think ebags are better than the other cheaper brands around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready123go View Post

I can only speak about Ebags and Travelon. Both are good quality, but I would recommend Ebags over Travelon . . .
Quote:

I will see if they sell Ebags in the UK . . .
I've used Eagle Creek pack it cubes and folders for over 15 years, and have been very pleased. Cubes. Folders.

I've bought Eagle Creek products at sporting good stores, travel stores, and recreational stores. REI (this REI page also has packing videos).

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
lodge
DIS Veteran

you can purchase great closet organizers that fold up small from USAirways Inflight magazine. They're similar to shoe organizers but larger and fold up thin.
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #30
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73

I've used Eagle Creek pack it cubes and folders for over 15 years, and have been very pleased. Cubes. Folders.

I've bought Eagle Creek products at sporting good stores, travel stores, and recreational stores. REI (this REI page also has packing videos).

Woody
Thanks! Will check that out!

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: