Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
MISSREBECCA76
"Hello, My Name is Rebecca, and I have a Disney Problem!"

Cabin Organization Tips?

Ok, so our previous DCL cruise we had two staterooms. This time, because the in-laws wanted adjoining rooms we only have one for our family. There will be 5 of us, my DH, DD8, DD6 and DS4- I feel like I will be really crowded and I am sure some of you have some great tips on keeping thing organized- anyone want to share some ideas with me? Any input is very much appreciated!

1999 SOG First ever WDW Trip (with my HOT college bf, who is now my HOT husband!)2001 SOG Honeymoon trip 2009 CRB First trip with the kiddos in tow, grandparents too! 2011 OKW Santa was good to us, so kids, grandparents and even a great grandparent made the trip! 2012 Fort Wilderness Cabins 2012 Disney Dream- our first of many DCL experiences!2012 Beach Club
MISSREBECCA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

One of those over the door shoe organizers was awesome for bathroom items and a pop up hamper (or two) for keeping the room a little neater. I think some people bring the hanging fabric shelves in the closet as well. After a while as the laundry started piling up we would take the things we knew for sure we wouldn't be laundering and start filling one of the suitcases under the bed.
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Ariel224
DIS Veteran

Put the kids in the in-laws' room!

Disneyland November 2-5, 2009; November 11-21, 2010; November 7-11, 2011
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean November 10-17, 2012
Ariel224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
firsttimemom
DIS Veteran

When my kids were that age and their clothes were so small, I would pack each days outfit in a big ziplock bag- we saved so much time not tossing things around looking for a shirt or sock. I also bring a pillowcase to use for dirty clothes.

The over the door shoe thing is invaluable for keeping shoes, sunscreen, hair pretties, medicine, etc. from being all over the room.

Hope this helps!
2006 (CCI) 2008 (RI)

DCL
Wonder: 5/23/04 ~ Magic: 1/22/05 ~ Wonder: 5/10/09 (PCC 1.0) ~ Wonder: 12/12/10 (PCC 2.0) ~ Dream: 4/17/11 ~ Magic Canadian: 6/17/12 ~ Fantasyturkeyfest 11/17/12 ~ Fantasy 4/12/14

firsttimemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
ready123go
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
One of those over the door shoe organizers was awesome for bathroom items and a pop up hamper (or two) for keeping the room a little neater. I think some people bring the hanging fabric shelves in the closet as well. After a while as the laundry started piling up we would take the things we knew for sure we wouldn't be laundering and start filling one of the suitcases under the bed.
We do this. We use two shoe organizers - one on the inside of the bathroom door (for bathroom stuff) & one on the outside (for other stuff). I made a chart in Word so I can refer to it when packing. I tried labeling the pockets, but found that any changes where a pain. Changes are much easier in a document. Once the shoe organizer is loaded for my trip, while it is still full, I take it down and lay it on the floor/across the bed. I then fold it in thirds and slip it into a Space Bag. Once I get the air out, everything pretty much stays in place. I just reverse the process in order to hang them. If you fold it from the top down, very little displaces (experiment with this - it takes a couple of tries). On the inside shoe organizer, we had to use a closet hanger turned upside down and placed across the robe hooks. This allowed the bottom of the hanger to form a closet "rod" of sorts (no photo-sorry). We then hung the organizer on that "rod". (This was on Carnival, not Disney, my point is you might have to get a little inventive, but well worth it)

We also use a mesh shower caddy thingy.

We take a few 3M hooks with water-resistant strips and a few power-lock suction hooks and toothbrush & razor holders to use where needed.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Menada1115
Mouseketeer

The shoe organizers on the bathroom doors were a huge help! We had all of our toiletries, sunscreen, etc and the kids shoes in them. It was great!
We found our biggest problem was with our empty suitcases...they wouldn't fit under the bed, so we had them just stacked in the room- took up so much space. But, we didn't know what else to do with them. Our stroller took up quite a bit of space also.

Me DH DD(16) DS(14) DD(9) DD(3)

09/2005- POP
11/2009- POP
11/2010- Hilton Garden Inn @ Sea World
10/2011- POR
1/2012- POR
12/2012- Disney Cruise
11/2013- Disney Cruise
Menada1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
kimb96
Mouseketeer

Packing cubes! They really helped to keep everything organized and neat in the suitcases and made unpacking really simple. Just take them out of the suitcase, fold the top under and place in a drawer or closet. I got a 3 piece set for all of us and a set of the slim cubes and it fit all of our clothes for 3 people.

http://www.ebags.com/category/travel...FYuZ4AodQ3IA-g
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96
Packing cubes! They really helped to keep everything organized and neat in the suitcases and made unpacking really simple. Just take them out of the suitcase, fold the top under and place in a drawer or closet. I got a 3 piece set for all of us and a set of the slim cubes and it fit all of our clothes for 3 people.

http://www.ebags.com/category/travel...FYuZ4AodQ3IA-g
So you got 6 cubes for 3 people? Was that enough for a 7 day cruise? Was that two changes of clothes per day (day/dinner) for 3?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
kimb96
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
So you got 6 cubes for 3 people? Was that enough for a 7 day cruise? Was that two changes of clothes per day (day/dinner) for 3?
I got each of us a set 3 plus a set of slims...so a total of 12 cubes. It was enough for a 7 nights. I did not pack a ton of stuff. We all wore the same pair of pants at dinner 2 times with different shirts and we did not dress up for semi formal night. We also wore the same pair of shorts a couple of times because we didnt' wear them very long. You spend a good part of the day in your swimsuits. You may need more cubes if you intend to pack 2 seperate outfits for each day. To give you some examples of how much you can fit in them....I rolled the clothes and could easily get 7-8 medium ladies tops in the medium cubes and 7 bottoms in the large cubes. I got 8 of my son's shirts rolled into a size small. We used the slim cubes for underwear. If you search the board, you can find pictures of packing cubes with clothes in them. I found out about them from others on this board and they have changed the way I pack when traveling. I use them for every trip now. It really does make it easy to stay organized when travelling.
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
amyngary
Mouseketeer

All of them are right!

We use all of the above suggestions, which we got from the Dis boards. We have 2 large packing cubes/person, and then some of each of the medium and small sizes (I recommend buying different colors for each family member). We do not use ziplocs for Disney trips since we use the packing cubes, but we use them for other trips.

The over-door shoe holder is fantastic and has really saved us time. We even have a pocket set aside to hold single bills for room service tips (DD folds them into origami butterflies).

Before I got packing cubes, I spent hours the first day of every trip unpacking. Now I assign each person a drawer(s) and they grab their cubes and put them in their drawer unzipped so they can easily grab their outfits each time. I highly recommend them. We roll the clothes and put outfits together in the cube to make it easier to match the outfits.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready123go View Post
I then fold it in thirds and slip it into a Space Bag. Once I get the air out, everything pretty much stays in place.
How do you pack it back up again to head home?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #12
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Not exactly and organizational tip, but I always make sure to pack a power strip so I can keep my electronics all in one place.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSREBECCA76 View Post

. . . There will be 5 of us

. . . I feel like I will be really crowded and I am sure some of you have some great tips on keeping thing organized
1. Pack some wire hangers to hang additional clothes. This will relieve some drawer space. You could request additional wooden hangers from your staterom attendant, but they take up lots of room. Leave the wire hangars behind at the end of the cruise, making room for souvenirs.

2. Store items you might use once in the suitcases until you need them -- such as pirate outfits, beach toys and snorkel gear.
Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
ready123go
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
How do you pack it back up again to head home?
Same way. You just don't get all of the air out, but enough to keep everything pretty much in place. Not perfect, but close enough. I use it in the hotel, the night before a cruise, so it does get unpacked and repacked.

This is more along the lines of packing organization than cabin organization, but, what I like about doing this is, it distributes the bulky stuff across the suitcase. When bundle packing, I center it in the middle of my clothes.

Of course, YMMV - what works for me doesn't work for everyone, but I love it.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
ready123go
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
1. Pack some wire hangers to hang additional clothes. This will relieve some drawer space. You could request additional wooden hangers from your stateroom attendant, but they take up lots of room. Leave the wire hangers behind at the end of the cruise, making room for souvenirs.
Woody
We've done this, too, and it works great!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: