Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
blu
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 113

why gc?

Can someone explain why people buy giftcards to pay for inboard purchases?
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
love280mickey
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 418

because sometimes you can find deals on the cards that save a little money.

For instance, right now, you can get a $10 Target gift card for every $50 purchase.

You purchase the $50 Disney gift card and get a Target $10 gift card. Then you purchase another $50 Disney card, use your Target $10 towards it, and the Disney card is now only $40.

Even if you just keep the Target card, in essence, you are saving 20%.
__________________
love280mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 15,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu View Post
Can someone explain why people buy giftcards to pay for inboard purchases?
1) That way they know that money is already set aside for the cruise.

2) Other people have purchased them for the cruises to use as gifts.

3) If you buy them at Target with your Target Red card you get 5% off.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!
 
TXDCLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Highland Village Tx.
Posts: 1,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu View Post
Can someone explain why people buy giftcards to pay for inboard purchases?
You can buy a $100 gift card ( Disney or any other)at Tom Thumb and receive .40 cents off per gallon of fuel up to 25 gallons at there gas stations. buy $200 in gift cards and receive .80 cents per gallon offer is good up to $2 off per gallon of fuel.

Note you can also use the gift cards to make payment on your cruise.
__________________
________________


TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
blu
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 113

Thanks for the info, looks like I will be buying some gc. Are the gc from Target nonlinear or in store?
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
blu
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 113

Daggone autocorrect. That's online or in store on the Target purchase
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
tinkerone
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,953

so just how do you use these to pay for your cruise? we book with dreams. is there a way to use them if you have to pay them?
this is all very interesting. we live in canada but there is a target we get to every once in a while as we live close to the border. i could always apply for their credit card and use that to get the discount if i'm understanding this right. as our cruise is on the right side of expensive, every dollar counts.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
so just how do you use these to pay for your cruise? we book with dreams. is there a way to use them if you have to pay them?
this is all very interesting. we live in canada but there is a target we get to every once in a while as we live close to the border. i could always apply for their credit card and use that to get the discount if i'm understanding this right. as our cruise is on the right side of expensive, every dollar counts.
Actually it's a debit card, tied to your existing checking account. You still have to apply for one, enclosing a voided check. Rather unusual, but 5% is 5%. I just activated my new card last night and they asked for five(!) security questions. That's more persnickity than my bank was about opening the checking account in the first place.

We recently changed banks and DH applied for a new Target card. But since he already had a Target card on our old bank (account since closed) Target wouldn't issue him a new card. huh? So I applied and Target issued cards on the new account for both of us. go figure.

Have no idea if Target allows international debit cards. Please let us know if it works for you. My application took about two weeks to get accepted, and for the cards to arrive.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
havaneselover
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 691

Disney cruises are a huge luxury for me these days. Gift cards substantially reduce my cost. Here are my tips.

1) After reading about it on this board, I just got an Amex Blue Preferred which gives me 6% off at grocery stores (up to $6k/year). There is a $75 annual fee but right now they offer $150 credit if you spend $1,000 in three months so basically two years of annual fee waived.

2) When Kroger does 4x fuel points, I buy gift cards because as above to me for each $100 in gift cards I save another 8%.

3) My children's swim club requires $350 in fundraising. 5% of my Kroger purchases go toward this.

4) Yesterday I used the $10 off target coupon to buy $50 in gift cards. I don't have a red card, but I can buy Target gift cards at Kroger.

In the best situation possible (4x fuel points, $10 off at Target), I can basically get a $50 gift card for $30.50--almost 40%! ($3 back from Amex, $2.50 toward swimming contribution, $4 off gas, and $10 back from Target). I know some people did the Target deal multiple times but I only did one.

Under normal circumstances, I'm getting 15% off ($100 gift card = $6 back from Amex, $5 toward swim club, and $4 off on gas).
__________________
Me DD 10 DS 9
havaneselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
rcchello
DIS Veteran
 
rcchello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ

Actually it's a debit card, tied to your existing checking account. You still have to apply for one, enclosing a voided check. Rather unusual, but 5% is 5%. I just activated my new card last night and they asked for five(!) security questions. That's more persnickity than my bank was about opening the checking account in the first place.

We recently changed banks and DH applied for a new Target card. But since he already had a Target card on our old bank (account since closed) Target wouldn't issue him a new card. huh? So I applied and Target issued cards on the new account for both of us. go figure.

Have no idea if Target allows international debit cards. Please let us know if it works for you. My application took about two weeks to get accepted, and for the cards to arrive.
You can get either a credit or debit Target redcard by applying online at www.target.com/redcard. Both get the 5% off and free shipping from target.com.
__________________


Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,440

We get fuel perks when purchasing gc's at our local grocery store. I just filled our SUV this morning - FREE gas!!! We pay for all of our cruises with gc's.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer
 
MrsPotatoHead425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 243

We love using gift cards we get from Kroger. Just the other day we got $2.00/gallon off gas from our gift card purchases.. I was beaming standing there filling up my tank!

Also, we took one gift card to apply to our onboard account, and it was just easier to keep up with that, than a wad of cash. However, should you do that, no matter what, when you apply the gift card to your account once your on the ship, get a receipt that shows who applied it and how much was applied, and KEEP the card for a while. We encountered an issue and thankfully we had the card still, after it was applied to someone else's account! But Disney helped us and it got worked out, so it's all good!
__________________
Danny Beth Lexy

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
MrsPotatoHead425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Actually it's a debit card, tied to your existing checking account.
Mine is a credit card. I was told I can also have a debit card, but I don't want one.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
tastefullyjenn
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPotatoHead425 View Post
We love using gift cards we get from Kroger. Just the other day we got $2.00/gallon off gas from our gift card purchases.. I was beaming standing there filling up my tank!

Also, we took one gift card to apply to our onboard account, and it was just easier to keep up with that, than a wad of cash. However, should you do that, no matter what, when you apply the gift card to your account once your on the ship, get a receipt that shows who applied it and how much was applied, and KEEP the card for a while. We encountered an issue and thankfully we had the card still, after it was applied to someone else's account! But Disney helped us and it got worked out, so it's all good!
We, too, get gift cards for two reasons--budgeting and fuel perks! At certain times during the year we get $.20 off per $50 in gift cards!
tastefullyjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan View Post
We get fuel perks when purchasing gc's at our local grocery store. I just filled our SUV this morning - FREE gas!!! We pay for all of our cruises with gc's.
Giant Eagle? I cannot wait to use mine from buying GCs to pay for our DVC PAPs...have enough for 1-1/2 fill ups

OT caution: DVC and the WDW resorts permit unlimted # of GCs to be used on one's folio. If you're planning on doing a split WDW/DCL trip, be careful re buying smaller denomination GCs if not doing a package or buying at the resort and you want to purchase tickets directly online/phone as you can only use two forms of payment (i.e. GC and credit card etc.) for each one.
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.