DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
nickspace
DIS Veteran

12% Saving On $399 DVC Premium Annual Pass

If my calculations are correct we saved roughly 12% on our Premium Annual Pass by buying gift cards at Giant Eagle grocery store. For every $50 you spend on gift cards you get 20 cents off for up to 30 gallons of gas. Usually you get 10 cents off on gas but every so often they double the incentive. It is almost as good as cash. Plus we paid with a credit card so we get something back there.

nickspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
cvjw
DIS Veteran

I hope you bought large denominations of gift cards. When I just called MS to purchase our DVC PAP's, I was told that I could only use 2 gift cards per transaction. Luckily, I had purchased $500 gift cards from Kroger (for the 4X fuel points). If you have small denominations of gift cards, you will have a hard time paying over the phone for the AP's. I think you can use them all in person at Disney, though. I did break all 4 of our AP's up into single transactions, so that I could use 8 gift cards.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

The Giant Eagle 2x promo ends tomorrow. I'm going to buy a $500 GC tonight to use for my PAP.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
mgrebenc
Mouseketeer

We also bought the Giant Eagle 500.00 gift cards to purchase the PAPs. DH figured it was more like 17% since we charged them on our AMEX, which pays 5% cash back. This only works if you are able to pay your charge off every month as we do.
mgrebenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
nickspace
DIS Veteran

I used the gift cards today to buy the passes but had a little problem. DVC member services had difficulty processing the gift card so they suggested that I call the main ticket office and everything went through smoothly. I was getting a little nervous but it worked out well in the end.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

at Giant Eagle watch for other promotions Disney cards had one I think in March last year and they sometimes double for mother's day and father's day but yes buy very large gift cards since you can only use two I learned that the hard way last year!
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

note that GE's reward program states you can only process $1,000 in gift cards in one transaction

When i picked mine up a few weeks ago the clerk referenced it, then said i could purchase the other GCs in a 2nd transaction.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Princessofthehouse
Mouseketeer

I just called this morning to order my 3 AP's. They will only take two types of payment per transaction. I had two $500 giftcards, so I did two transactions for:

2A--used both giftcards
1C--used the rest of the 2nd GC and the check card.

I don't know if you can use over 1000 or not since that is what I had. Member services was super nice about doing it in two transactions. He did say to KEEP THE GIFTCARDS because when you pick up your passes they want to see your payment type.
Princessofthehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessofthehouse View Post
I just called this morning to order my 3 AP's. They will only take two types of payment per transaction. I had two $500 giftcards, so I did two transactions for:

2A--used both giftcards
1C--used the rest of the 2nd GC and the check card.

I don't know if you can use over 1000 or not since that is what I had. Member services was super nice about doing it in two transactions. He did say to KEEP THE GIFTCARDS because when you pick up your passes they want to see your payment type.
I was told I only needed to bring photo id & DVC member card. Note that i used a $500 GC for each of our PAPs. I was cautioned to 'keep' the GCs jik there would be an (unspecified) issue down the road

note that I specifically asked if i had to bring the GCs to the gate to pick up the tickets and was told "no".

Several past purchases where I picked up tickets at will call, I was instructed to bring the credit card i used for ticket purchases but have yet to be asked to produce it, only our photo ids & DVC cards.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspace View Post
I used the gift cards today to buy the passes but had a little problem. DVC member services had difficulty processing the gift card so they suggested that I call the main ticket office and everything went through smoothly. I was getting a little nervous but it worked out well in the end.
Were you able to get the discounted rate for the annual passes through main ticket office? (I've only ever purchased discounted AP's through Member Services).
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
nickspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjelica View Post
Were you able to get the discounted rate for the annual passes through main ticket office? (I've only ever purchased discounted AP's through Member Services).
Yes

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
nickspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
note that GE's reward program states you can only process $1,000 in gift cards in one transaction

When i picked mine up a few weeks ago the clerk referenced it, then said i could purchase the other GCs in a 2nd transaction.

I put 1K on my wife's gas reward car and 1k on my gas reward card.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I was able to get my PAP today with a $500 gift card over the phone with member services. There was a delay because I moved in August, my address was changed in DVC's system but not in the ticketing system but she was able to fix it. I know I changed my current AP because I got my Mickey Monitor recently at my new address.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Princessofthehouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
I was told I only needed to bring photo id & DVC member card. Note that i used a $500 GC for each of our PAPs. I was cautioned to 'keep' the GCs jik there would be an (unspecified) issue down the road

note that I specifically asked if i had to bring the GCs to the gate to pick up the tickets and was told "no".

Several past purchases where I picked up tickets at will call, I was instructed to bring the credit card i used for ticket purchases but have yet to be asked to produce it, only our photo ids & DVC cards.
That is just what the guy told me. I'm sure they won't ask, but you never know. I would take them if you kept them. I can't imagine they would deny you picking them up if you had proper ID.
Princessofthehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

Ugh - I just called Disney Ticket Office (not member services) and they informed me that I can't buy the $399.xx PAP through them but rather I have to go through Member Services. Normally that isn't an issue but I have several gift cards I wish to use (more than 2).

Is that right?
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: