Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

People-watching at the airport and wondering

Halfway through a nine-hour layover and I'm wondering - if you were sitting at a charging station with your laptop, would you walk away and leave it there?

The man next to me has walked away from his twice. Once for a quick walk and second for a walk that put him out of my POV. I'd be too nervous to leave anything out of my sight, personally.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Not a chance.
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Not a chance.
Weird right? Even asking the person next to you to watch your stuff would leave me uneasy, and he didn't even do that! Just walked away.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
Halfway through a nine-hour layover and I'm wondering - if you were sitting at a charging station with your laptop, would you walk away and leave it there?

The man next to me has walked away from his twice. Once for a quick walk and second for a walk that put him out of my POV. I'd be too nervous to leave anything out of my sight, personally.
Maybe it's a sting operation?

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

I had a long layover in the DFW airport a while back and I was astonished by:

1. The number of people who left all sorts of belongings on their chairs while they went away for periods up to an hour. The one that really surprised me was this lady who left her food on a chair and then went away for half an hour and came back and started eating it.

2. The fact that security never seemed to make note of or examine these apparently abandoned belongings. At one point, I watched security walk by an abandoned brown box six times without seeming to glance at it. I finally walked up and asked one of the security people about it and he shrugged and said people do it all the time. Well, then...
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
I had a long layover in the DFW airport a while back and I was astonished by:

1. The number of people who left all sorts of belongings on their chairs while they went away for periods up to an hour. The one that really surprised me was this lady who left her food on a chair and then went away for half an hour and came back and started eating it.

2. The fact that security never seemed to make note of or examine these apparently abandoned belongings. At one point, I watched security walk by an abandoned brown box six times without seeming to glance at it. I finally walked up and asked one of the security people about it and he shrugged and said people do it all the time. Well, then...
Then what are all the warnings about don't leave you belongings unattended for!
I would never leave my things unattended to go more than a few steps anywhere, never mind an airport. I've had some long layovers and I always pack everything up and take it with me.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post

Maybe since you have been there so long, he thinks you are babysitting his laptop...
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

I don't think is that big of a deal. If I'm doing something on my laptop and need to go the restroom or buy water or a snack I'd most likely leave my laptop on the floor while I do what I gotta do. It usually doesn't take me more than 10 minutes.
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
Maybe since you have been there so long, he thinks you are babysitting his laptop...
He should ask! I did not abandon my spot for so long, I gladly would have agreed to babysit.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrella View Post
I don't think is that big of a deal. If I'm doing something on my laptop and need to go the restroom or buy water or a snack I'd most likely leave my laptop on the floor while I do what I gotta do. It usually doesn't take me more than 10 minutes.
Does it take longer than 10 minutes to unplug the laptop and take it? Heck to the know... ESPECIALLY with anything electronic. I understand wanting to get something charged, but at LEAST befriend someone sitting nearby who can yell if someone else gets "sticky fingers".
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

I wouldn't but I could so see my DD doing something like this. I don't know the age of the person but if they were younger....they seem to think nothing of just leaving laptops laying around. It isn't just her. I've seen it with others her age too.

Now their cell phone on the other hand never leaves their side.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I would never leave my things unattended at an airport.

If I needed to get up and move, my things would go with me, even if it meant packing them up and then unpacking them again if I had a long wait.

When I am waiting at an airport, I try not to get all "moved in" to a spot though. I take out one thing at a time (ie-magazine, or laptop or crossword puzzle book) and don't have 10 things spread out all around me.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
SarahWeasley
Mouseketeer

I never leave anything unattended at an airport, but if someone else wants to, that's their prerogative. Unless they're taking up a charger, or some other "valuable" amenity, for a long time (more than a short trip to the bathroom or a food stand) without using it; that would be rude.

I'd actually guess that thefts in that situation are probably relatively low, since everybody there is supposed to have a plane ticket; it'd be harder to make a quick escape than if you were grabbing something out on a city street; and there are generally a lot of people around. Still, for whatever reason, it's pretty ingrained in me not to leave my stuff unattended, and I can be kind of paranoid about keeping everything as close to me as possible while I'm waiting for my plane.
SarahWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
I would never leave my things unattended at an airport.

If I needed to get up and move, my things would go with me, even if it meant packing them up and then unpacking them again if I had a long wait.

When I am waiting at an airport, I try not to get all "moved in" to a spot though. I take out one thing at a time (ie-magazine, or laptop or crossword puzzle book) and don't have 10 things spread out all around me.
Same here.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Never ever.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: