Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
bethy
DIS Veteran

Experiences with Skipping a Grade?

First off, no, my kid is not a genius.

We are considering having our DD skip grade 6 mainly for social reasons. She does not fit in with the kids at her current grade level at all. She never has. She is like a mini adult in a child's body - just totally in a different world than her peers both emotionally and socially. She's not better than them, just different - a very old soul. Her very seasoned fifth grade teacher has recommended that she skip one or even two grades. She feels strongly that our DD would be able to make friends more easily with older kids and find more in common with them. As of right now, she doesn't really have any friends - only cordial aquaintances. Note; DD is tall, well groomed, athletic and on the older end of her grade level. So physical characteristics are not an issue in her case. She won't look out of place.

She is bright enough to handle the academic fallout with hard work and motivation. The most common downside to grade acceleration is that students struggle socially due to immaturity. Our DD has the opposite issue.

I am having a hard time coming up with many negatives but i want to investigate every possible angle. Without knowing my DD personally can anyone offer up any downsides or other issues we should consider? Success stories are most welcome, too.

DD has no idea at this point that the we and the school are even considering this option.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Due to a December birthday and private school my daughter started early and graduated just at 17. I would not recommend pushing her up. It may help now, but once in college the age difference was horrible for DD.

That was our experience and I am sure you will get others, but if it was me I would have her make other friends through a group outside of school that is aged with older girls for socialization. Good Luck.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethy View Post
First off, no, my kid is not a genius.

We are considering having our DD skip grade 6 mainly for social reasons. She does not fit in with the kids at her current grade level at all. She never has. She is like a mini adult in a child's body - just totally in a different world than her peers both emotionally and socially. She's not better than them, just different - a very old soul. Her very seasoned fifth grade teacher has recommended that she skip one or even two grades. She feels strongly that our DD would be able to make friends more easily with older kids and find more in common with them. As of right now, she doesn't really have any friends - only cordial aquaintances. Note; DD is tall, well groomed, athletic and on the older end of her grade level. So physical characteristics are not an issue in her case. She won't look out of place.

She is bright enough to handle the academic fallout with hard work and motivation. The most common downside to grade acceleration is that students struggle socially due to immaturity. Our DD has the opposite issue.

I am having a hard time coming up with many negatives but i want to investigate every possible angle. Without knowing my DD personally can anyone offer up any downsides or other issues we should consider? Success stories are most welcome, too.

DD has no idea at this point that the we and the school are even considering this option.
My sister, who also has a December birthday, was skipped between 2nd & 3rd grade. Academically, she did fine, until she got into college. She went directly to college from HS (at age 17). She just couldn't keep up with the whole "being an almost adult" thing. Roommates, rent, schoolwork, job . She dropped out for a year, and tried again. A much better fit.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
tcufrog
Mouseketeer

My dh went to college and lived in the dorms when he was 14. He did fine but he's in the minority. He doesn't want our kids to go to college early. Your daughter might be in the minority. Have you looked at finding extracurricular activities where she can connect with kids who are more along her wavelength? Is you daughter also academically ahead? If not you might regret having her skip a grade when she gets older and she has the opportunity to take honors and AP classes?
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

I'd question any teacher who suggests a child skipping a grade for social reasons. Social skills (and learning to deal with not 'fitting in' is a social skill!) can be worked on in school, and missing two years of curriculum can hurt her socially too. Group projects, field trips, and other events help connect a class.

Have you talked to her pediatrician about her issues? Not relating to peers, and feeling more comfortable with adults is a part of the autism spectrum.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I have no advice to offer, but I was curious about something. What about academically? If she skips a grade or two, how will she be able to do the work expected of her? If someone is at a 5th grade level, then finds themselves in 7th grade, they will struggle academically, it seems she would miss so much learning-wise. I am curious because I have never heard of skipping grades for social reasons.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

I also find the teacher's recommendation surprising. To me it doesn't make much sense. We're talking about kids going through puberty, who are going to be changing a great deal in the coming years. Also, I doubt there are very many old souls or mini adults in 7th or 8th grades either.

Last edited by kate_wdw; 12-13-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Typo
kate_wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

I can see how at this time, it looks like a really good idea.
However, given a little time, developmentally, all kids catch up and it evens out.

Do not forget that no matter how much she seems mature, and might be an 'old soul'.... Somewhere in there, yes, there is still a little girl in many different aspects.

I am not sure that I would want to move her up.

When it comes to high school, and the demands, and her being 14/15 with older guys, teenagers with cars, etc... And, then the real demands of life..

Just proceed with caution and be sure that you have really thought this thru.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
caitlinsmom
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't consider it unless she is very ahead academically. Even then I'd be leery of putting her in class with kids that are emotionally and physically at a level that she is not yet.
caitlinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Longsx3
DIS Veteran

Here is my D's story. In 2nd grade the school wanted to move her to 3rd grade mid year, after some discussion we declined because we just could not be sure of the outcome. Academically she was light yrs ahead of her peers, socially she had friends but did not really relate and consistently preferred to socialize with teachers.This remains the same even today. Fast Forward to 8th grade, D was taking a HS class online to keep her challenged. In 9th grade she took an extra course as well, beginning in 10th grade (last yr) she was taking Dual Enrollment courses at the Community College. Mid yr she had enough credits to become a JR, we spent Christmas break discussing whether early graduation we the best option...she doesn't like anything about the High School and decided College was a much better option. By the Summer D was a senior. Honestly I don't think Double promoting her in 2nd grade would have changed a thing, I don't think she would have related any better to the kids a yr ahead of her and academically she would have still been ahead. If I had to do it all over again I would still wait until high school to let her skip a grade. BTW D is 16 and will not be 17 until August.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

So similar...

I sat here reading these stories aloud to DD who is home from college on break. I had to laugh because as I was reading some of the sentences, I had to say, "I swear, I did not write this!"

So yeah, I can relate. DD begged the guidance counselor to be moved up from 8th grade. The guidance counselor called me and we talked and she was very insightful about what was going on.

Anyway, we decided not to move her up a grade but we did homeschool and she also did dual credit. No regrets.

I have to say OP, that the way you describe your daughter is so much like my daughter was. To read people doubt you, rubs me the wrong way but, oh well... I do know what you are talking about.

Good luck!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
modisneychick
Mouseketeer

My ds skipped 4th grade. It was a transition from 3rd-5th, but he picked up quite fine. He is academically gifted and was an "old soul" too.

Academically, it has been fine. Socially it has been fine. However, having the maturity to deal with tough situations/adults/etc. has been challenging at times. He is still a year younger (he actually has a January birthday, so almost 1.5 years younger) and has had to work harder at communicating with teachers etc. at the level most of his peers would. However, those things happen, no matter the child.

He is currently a high school sophomore and will finally get his permit in January. Everyone in his class now has a full license. He is interested in dating, but has the awkwardness of Mom having to drive them or asking the date to drive. He actually doesn't really care, but a lot of kids would. I think this gap will be noticeable again in college should he choose to live away from home.

I think it can be done, but you have to know your child. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have done the same, but I might also have looked at a different school to see if other schools could have offered him something more.

Good luck!
Recent Trips: October 2013 - Saratoga Springs & Disney Fantasy; July 2013 - Vero Beach; May 2013 - Disney Wonder Alaska; March 2013 - Old Key West & Vero Beach Teen Trip; January 2013 (Dh & DD only) Disney Wonder; Nov/Dec 2012 Beach Club Villas & Disney Dream; May/June 2012 - Beach Club Villas, Disney Fantasy, & Vero Beach; December 2011 - Beach Club Villas & Disney Dream; May/June 2011 - Vero Beach, Disney Dream, & Beach Club Villas; and February 2011 - Saratoga Springs Teen Trip
Upcoming Trips: April 2014 - Disney's Vero Beach Resort; July 2014 Disneyland Paris & Disney Magic 12-Night Med; October 2014 Disney Magic Southern Caribbean; October 2014 Repo Cruise from San Juan to Port Canaveral; June 2015 - Disney Magic 11 night Norway/Iceland
Twitter: modisneychick
Disney Travels on Facebook: Disney Dreaming
modisneychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
LoserMomma
Mouseketeer

I skipped first and eighth grades. Was a HS grad at 16 and a college grad at 20. My take? It made me grow up too darned fast. By 16 I was out of the house for good and by 20 I was living on my own and earning my living. I didn't get to be a kid.

Do what's right for her, but remember that childhood is precious and you don't get it back.
LoserMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoserMomma
I skipped first and eighth grades. Was a HS grad at 16 and a college grad at 20. My take? It made me grow up too darned fast. By 16 I was out of the house for good and by 20 I was living on my own and earning my living. I didn't get to be a kid.

Do what's right for her, but remember that childhood is precious and you don't get it back.
Wow impressive! Btw great advice.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoserMomma View Post

This is great advice, not only for people thinking of having their kids skip a grade but also for those who can't seem to wait for little Suzie to start school even when they are the youngest in the class (and/or perhaps not really ready yet).

They grow up in a flash as it is. I'll never understand the desire to rush.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: