Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #31
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

I'd just make sure you have someone help you make up a good route going to/from wherever. Once me and DH took a wrong exit and it reminded me of the movie "Judgement Night" where the guys are going to a boxing match and tried to take a short cut and end up involved being chased by gang members. this was pre-GPS days, and we had no clue. The next time I went on a trip from VA to CT, my son wanted to stop to pee right as soon as we hit NYC. I handed him a cup, and told him pee in this or wait till we're out of NYC.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #32
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
We just want to I guess park at Pt.A and walk to a few places and eat lunch. Needs to be cheap and stuff my kids will like, ages 13, 10 and 5. We have never been there before.

Forgot add that we do not have any type of "smartphone" with internet on it or anything.
So, just park at the P.A., and walk around. You'll find dozens of places that are cheap and your kids will like.

Make it an adventure! "Let's see what's in here!"
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #33
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

If I were going into the city today and wanted something inexpensive with my kids, I would go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's a fantastic museum, and kids love the Egyptian and the Arms and Armor exhibit. Don't pay the suggested entry admission! Give them $1.00 per person, and don't feel funny about it. From there I would go to Central park and walk around. The park is right there, so no wandering trying to find it.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #34
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Thinking of heading up there today! Looking for a walking route from Port authority, kind of like what order to go from thing to thing as I have no idea the proximity the places mentioned above are located. Are there any type os sings on the streets to direct you to places or is it like you just walk and see what you see?
We can't do the water taxi, funds are limited as we just bought tix. and are booked to do a YES program on 6/25!

Can anyone help? We are hoping to leave by 10a.m. today 3/30!
I do have a suggestion - if you have a smart phone - download the "hopstop" app on your phone. It gives great directions (by foot, by taxi, and by subway) to get from point A to point B. Including estimated times. We found this t be very accurate when we were in town in December.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #35
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2 View Post
I do have a suggestion - if you have a smart phone - download the "hopstop" app on your phone. It gives great directions (by foot, by taxi, and by subway) to get from point A to point B. Including estimated times. We found this t be very accurate when we were in town in December.
She said she doesn't have a smart phone.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #36
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
She said she doesn't have a smart phone.
Also, GPSs will direct you through dangerous places. I'd ask people who actually live there what exits are safe to take and good routes.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
LJRJR
Mouseketeer

If I were you I would pick up a map at the port authority and walk around from there. Its a beautiful day today. Even if you just walk around have lunch and go home. I wouldnt worry about wandering into "bad neighborhoods". New York is a very safe city these days. Sometimes the best way to explore a city is to go off the beaten path a little bit. Go and visit times square, but avoid the touristy box stores. If you decide to go back again another day, try walking around some different neighborhoods (maybe a little more downtown). There is nothing better than finding a great neighborhood restaurant that is not part of a major chain. Enjoy!
LJRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #38
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Also, GPSs will direct you through dangerous places. I'd ask people who actually live there what exits are safe to take and good routes.
Really? Manhattan is a very safe city. I've driven around alone, lost, at night, no GPS, and have never found myself in a bad area. No Bonfire of the Vanities moments!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #39
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Really? Manhattan is a very safe city. I've driven around alone, lost, at night, no GPS, and have never found myself in a bad area. No Bonfire of the Vanities moments!
Agree!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #40
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Just looking for an update Did you go? What did you do? Did your kids enjoy it?
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #41
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

I'm hoping for an update, too!
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #42
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Maybe they ran into trouble!!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #43
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
Maybe they ran into trouble!!
Is this going to be another thread like that one where the neighbors were passing paper bags through the front window?
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #44
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Alright, so here's what happened! It was my dh's birthday and his best friend from HS called to say he wanted to come visit(we haven't seen him since xmas)...well this shot my plan as he wasn't arriving til noon and I did not want to head up to NYC that late!
So we ended up not going

We did however do something else that was fun, outdoors...and free/cheap. Every time we drive to WDW we pass this place with tanks, helicopters and such on rte 81 out near Carlisle PA. I googled it and found out it was some free US Army Heritage place. Now I am not into military stuff but my kids like it and it has a 1 mile walking trail with all different areas and a free interactive, education center.
http://www.carlisle.army.mil/AHEC/AHM/heritage.cfm

So we decided to drive 1 1/2 hours to Carlisle PA and visit the US Army Heritage Trail and Education Center.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...nsylvania.html You can see my review and some pix. here.
Then since DH is into funky beers we drove a few minutes into historic Carlisle and ate at the Markett Cross Pub and Brewery for an early dinner(and so he could try a new beer) and then walked 2 blocks t Georgie Lou's Retro candy shop.
We did have a fun family and friends day

So NYC got push backed but we will get there before it gets too hot!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 04-01-2013 at 09:12 AM.
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #45
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting this! I'm looking for weekend and day trips to do, especially if I can bring my dog. This is perfect, my husband and kids will love it. I'm bookmarking it for a future trip.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: