Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
minnie1012
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Swank;46922755]Since you didn't go today, I have a suggestion. Go On New Years Day. We try and go every year on the 1st. Everyone else is sleeping off the night before and nothing is crowded. You would think the streets would be a mess, but by the morning everything is cleaned up. Also all the decorations are still up. It is a great time for my kids to spend some of their Christmas money.

Wow never thought to go then! We were going to go on the 30th which is a Sunday so I was concerned about the crowds. Is everything open in the morning or do you have to wait to go to stores like, FAO Schwartz etc until afternoon?
minnie1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Ok...we still haven;t made it there! Every time we plan to go someone is sick..I hate winter! anyway my kids have never been to a broadway show...isn't there someplaces you can go and tickets are half off that day or something? Still not sure if we coudl afford a show though as there are 5 of us.

Also I am trying to work on an itinerary for one day..assuming we arrive no later then 10:00a.m. and can stay til about 6 or 7. Any tips?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
loveysbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
You are in my area- so this is what we do.

We drive in, and park at Port Authority. It is very easy in/out, right after the tunnel. I think the last time we were there, it was $25 for the day.

If this is your first visit, I wouldn't go at Christmas, especially on a weekend. It is CRAZY. We went a few years ago with our kids, and although we were holding on to each other, in seconds, we got separated and hundreds of people were between us, like a flash mob. It was hard to get close to anything- there were people EVERYWHERE. Forget going into Toys R Us- mobbed.

You will be fine walking if you stay in the Times Square area (most of the stuff you have listed is in this area). Print out a good map and you will be fine.

There are a zillion places to eat in NYC, but the one place my kids liked a lot was Ellen's Stardust Diner. I guess technically, it is a tourist trap, but it is fun and worth going once. The servers are all aspiring Broadway actors and they all take turns standing up on the booths and singing. The food is diner-style, and pricey, but anything in NYC is pricey.

If you decide you want to see a show, there is a program called Kids Night on Broadway (google it) where you can buy tickets BOGO free for selected shows for the last week of February into March. Tickets go on sale in January. It sounds like a great deal!!
Thanks for this info. From the PA do you walk or take the subway? I have no idea. Trying to come up with a walking type tour that we could do and hit a few spots the kids would like. I am feeling so overwhelmed right now. Also how much should I budget for parking and lunch....$80 or so total?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Thanks for this info. From the PA do you walk or take the subway? I have no idea. Trying to come up with a walking type tour that we could do and hit a few spots the kids would like. I am feeling so overwhelmed right now. Also how much should I budget for parking and lunch....$80 or so total?
I just got back yesterday from a "girls weekend" in NYC. So, when you park at Port Authority, you can pretty much walk everywhere within the Times Square/midtown area. You just walk out of Port Authority and you are in the neighborhood. You can easily walk to Toys R Us (with the ferris wheel inside ), Rockefeller Center, St. Pat's, the public library, etc.

I highly recommend taking the Water Taxi tour. You can hop off and on from dock to dock until you've made the complete circle. It will take you from Pier 84 (a few blocks from PA- not too far) and you circle around. You can get timed tickets to the 9/11 Memorial with your ticket (they are free, but they time it so you hop off at Battery Park and can go into the Memorial area). They also hop off in Brooklyn, so you could walk the Brooklyn Bridge, DUMBO, they sail right next to the Statue of Liberty and stop so you can take photos. Liberty Island is currently closed due to Sandy damage, so this is a good way to get close.

NY is expensive, so if you are eating at a sit-down restaurant, it's going to be more than it is here in the Valley for sure. Think $15-18 for a hamburger- that type of thing- unless you hit a chain. But my feeling is skip the chains, because we have them at home You might also need reservations depending on where you go. If your family enjoys pasta, I recommend Carmines, where the food is served family style. You can order a couple of entrees to feed your crew and it might keep the cost down for you. We just ate at Tony's DiNapoli and I didn't care for it. I thought the food was bland- nothing like the authentic Italian food my grandmother used to cook!

I would budget $80-$100 just for lunch alone, depending on where you go and what kind of food you usually order. Parking was $25 the last time I parked at PA- that was a few years ago.

It's $25-ish to go up the Empire State Building (we bought our tickets in advance on-line), and I think it was $27 for the Water Taxi tour (I could have those two mixed up- )
ETA: There is a booth called TKTS in Times Square that sells tickets for shows at a discount. You get in line and you basically "get what you get". We always pick a couple of shows we are willing to see- and then hope they don't sell out before we get to the counter. The lines can be long. They put a board out with what shows they are selling tickets for that day. It changes all the time. I think Mary Poppins is on there frequently, and that would be a good show for your kids ages. My friends and I saw Wicked on Sunday, and it was WONDERFUL- and good for kids too- but those tickets are never on TKTS.

It's not probably going to be a cheap trip, but it is a lot of fun and worth going
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
loveysbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
I just got back yesterday from a "girls weekend" in NYC. So, when you park at Port Authority, you can pretty much walk everywhere within the Times Square/midtown area. You just walk out of Port Authority and you are in the neighborhood. You can easily walk to Toys R Us (with the ferris wheel inside ), Rockefeller Center, St. Pat's, the public library, etc.

I highly recommend taking the Water Taxi tour. You can hop off and on from dock to dock until you've made the complete circle. It will take you from Pier 84 (a few blocks from PA- not too far) and you circle around. You can get timed tickets to the 9/11 Memorial with your ticket (they are free, but they time it so you hop off at Battery Park and can go into the Memorial area). They also hop off in Brooklyn, so you could walk the Brooklyn Bridge, DUMBO, they sail right next to the Statue of Liberty and stop so you can take photos. Liberty Island is currently closed due to Sandy damage, so this is a good way to get close.

NY is expensive, so if you are eating at a sit-down restaurant, it's going to be more than it is here in the Valley for sure. Think $15-18 for a hamburger- that type of thing- unless you hit a chain. But my feeling is skip the chains, because we have them at home You might also need reservations depending on where you go. If your family enjoys pasta, I recommend Carmines, where the food is served family style. You can order a couple of entrees to feed your crew and it might keep the cost down for you. We just ate at Tony's DiNapoli and I didn't care for it. I thought the food was bland- nothing like the authentic Italian food my grandmother used to cook!

I would budget $80-$100 just for lunch alone, depending on where you go and what kind of food you usually order. Parking was $25 the last time I parked at PA- that was a few years ago.

It's $25-ish to go up the Empire State Building (we bought our tickets in advance on-line), and I think it was $27 for the Water Taxi tour (I could have those two mixed up- )

It's not probably going to be a cheap trip, but it is a lot of fun and worth going
Thanks for all that great info! There are so many places to see and things to do I am going crazy!
I know we want to hit a toy store..and the Disney store if it's still there. Also want to eat PIZZA!!!! The kids want to see if it tastes different then the stuff we get here in the Lehigh Valley Kids also saw that Dylan's candy bar on Unwrapped on the food network. Not sure how close everything is since we haven't been there before.
I will check into the water taxi but don't think we'll have the $$$. looking to kind if just walk around and see a few sights that will entertain all 3 kids. Then maybe next time we can do some of the more expensive things.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ok...we still haven;t made it there! Every time we plan to go someone is sick..I hate winter! anyway my kids have never been to a broadway show...isn't there someplaces you can go and tickets are half off that day or something? Still not sure if we coudl afford a show though as there are 5 of us.

Also I am trying to work on an itinerary for one day..assuming we arrive no later then 10:00a.m. and can stay til about 6 or 7. Any tips?
TKTS booth in Times Square has half-price tickets for same day shows -- but if you want to leave by 6 or 7 you'll have to hit a matinee, only available on Wednesdays and Sundays.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
loveysbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMama View Post
TKTS booth in Times Square has half-price tickets for same day shows -- but if you want to leave by 6 or 7 you'll have to hit a matinee, only available on Wednesdays and Sundays.
Thanks

Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
marcyinPA

Quote:
Thanks for all that great info! There are so many places to see and things to do I am going crazy!
I know we want to hit a toy store..and the Disney store if it's still there. Also want to eat PIZZA!!!! The kids want to see if it tastes different then the stuff we get here in the Lehigh Valley Kids also saw that Dylan's candy bar on Unwrapped on the food network. Not sure how close everything is since we haven't been there before.
I will check into the water taxi but don't think we'll have the $$$. looking to kind if just walk around and see a few sights that will entertain all 3 kids. Then maybe next time we can do some of the more expensive things.
I haven't been here, but check out John's Pizza. Supposedly good authentic NY pizza in a nice setting (old church). You buy by the pie, which is good to feed a crowd, and may cut down on how much you will spend.

I also noticed that there is a Cake Boss Cafe right down from Port Authority. They sell all kinds of Cake Boss goodies, and you can watch them make them in the window. The original Cake Boss bakery is across the river in Hoboken, but if your kids watch that show, this might be the next best thing.

I passed the Disney Store but I couldn't tell if it was open. It looked closed to me . You kids would love TRU- multiple floors of toys!

There is also a cool M&M's store where you can bag your own M&M's and choose the colors. And down the street from there is a Hershey store. This is all in Times Square area.

I am not sure where Dylan's Candy bar is, but I don't think it is in the Times Square area.

We also walked from Central Park to the TS area and it is do-able. Your kids might enjoy that as well. There are big rocks they can climb on, and somewhere in there is a zoo- I didn't see it, but Central Park is pretty huge.
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #24
loveysbydesign

Thinking of heading up there today! Looking for a walking route from Port authority, kind of like what order to go from thing to thing as I have no idea the proximity the places mentioned above are located. Are there any type os sings on the streets to direct you to places or is it like you just walk and see what you see?
We can't do the water taxi, funds are limited as we just bought tix. and are booked to do a YES program on 6/25!

Can anyone help? We are hoping to leave by 10a.m. today 3/30!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #25
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Did I read correctly, that you're only 1-1/2 hours away? Why not just see a few things, and then plan on coming back to see more later?

I live 2 hours from Pittsburgh, and have gone there more times than I can begin to count. Each visit we see something new, and keep going back. If I only lived 1-1/2 hours from New York City, I'd just go and do things totally spur-of-the-moment.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #26
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

My advice? Skip John's for pizza. I went based on the rave reviews and figured I'd give it a try. It was one of the worst tasting pizza I've had. As for the setting, I didn't get that either, big loud and felt like a warehouse. Just dive into one of the small pizzerias you pass along the way. It will be cheaper too.

I'm not big on going to all the stores that others have mentioned, just not my thing, so can't give you any help there.

What type of stuff do you want to do? It's so nice out today, even if you just walk all over you'll have fun.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Download a NYC tripadvisor app. I just used one for Boston, and it was very helpful - guided me in the right direction. There are cops everywhere - feel free to ask for help. Central Park will be beautiful today! Go to the zoo, go explore.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
loveysbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme5kids View Post
My advice? Skip John's for pizza. I went based on the rave reviews and figured I'd give it a try. It was one of the worst tasting pizza I've had. As for the setting, I didn't get that either, big loud and felt like a warehouse. Just dive into one of the small pizzerias you pass along the way. It will be cheaper too.

I'm not big on going to all the stores that others have mentioned, just not my thing, so can't give you any help there.

What type of stuff do you want to do? It's so nice out today, even if you just walk all over you'll have fun.

We just want to I guess park at Pt.A and walk to a few places and eat lunch. Needs to be cheap and stuff my kids will like, ages 13, 10 and 5. We have never been there before.

Forgot add that we do not have any type of "smartphone" with internet on it or anything.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #29
marcyinPA

I have a tripadvisor app on which I can save locations and it maps them out. Check that out on line. Or, just google NYC walking map and see if you can find something with the sites you want to see. I think today would be the perfect day to go...beautiful out! If your kiddo are good walkers, venture out of the Times Square area and head to Central Park. I want to say it is north of TS, but I am a little directionally challenged. The 9/11 Memorial is south, so I am pretty sure Central Park is just a few blocks north. Print a map!!!
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #30
marcyinPA

Just saw you dont have a smart phone (me either...i have a Nook). My neighbor lent me this very cool fold out pocket sized map, divided into boros. It was really helpful. Duck into one of the many NYC souvenir shops or find a sidewalk newsstand and pick up a map.
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: