Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

NYC help-day trip w/3 kids, 1st time there!

We're thinking of going up to NYC for the 1st time for the day. we live about 1 1/2 hours away.
Looking to see Rockefellar Center, disney Store, FAO swartz and eat somewhere good but not too expensive(diner maybe)
Can we walk from place to place or will we need to rider the subway?
We have never been there before and I don't want to get lost.
Our kids are 13, 10 and 5.
Also where should we park???
Is it better to pull the kids out of school and go during the week or on the weekend?
Can anyone help?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
ewalshslp
Mouseketeer

Are you thinking of going around the Holiday's? If so, I would highly recommend going during the week. Even then, it will be VERY crowded. We live about 2 hours away, and we drive to Weehawken, NJ. We park there and take the ferry in. Probably adds up to about the same amount as it would to park in the city. But you won't have to deal with traffic.
Shake Shack is a good choice if you're looking for burgers, etc.
2007, BWV, just the 3 of us
2009, BC, just the 4 of us
2012 Going ALL OUT!!!!!
2014, Back to the BWV

ewalshslp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
ewalshslp
Mouseketeer

Forgot to add... If you stick to the places you mentioned, you should be able to walk. It will be pretty hard to get a cab, anyway.
2007, BWV, just the 3 of us
2009, BC, just the 4 of us
2012 Going ALL OUT!!!!!
2014, Back to the BWV

ewalshslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

You are in my area- so this is what we do.

We drive in, and park at Port Authority. It is very easy in/out, right after the tunnel. I think the last time we were there, it was $25 for the day.

If this is your first visit, I wouldn't go at Christmas, especially on a weekend. It is CRAZY. We went a few years ago with our kids, and although we were holding on to each other, in seconds, we got separated and hundreds of people were between us, like a flash mob. It was hard to get close to anything- there were people EVERYWHERE. Forget going into Toys R Us- mobbed.

You will be fine walking if you stay in the Times Square area (most of the stuff you have listed is in this area). Print out a good map and you will be fine.

There are a zillion places to eat in NYC, but the one place my kids liked a lot was Ellen's Stardust Diner. I guess technically, it is a tourist trap, but it is fun and worth going once. The servers are all aspiring Broadway actors and they all take turns standing up on the booths and singing. The food is diner-style, and pricey, but anything in NYC is pricey.

If you decide you want to see a show, there is a program called Kids Night on Broadway (google it) where you can buy tickets BOGO free for selected shows for the last week of February into March. Tickets go on sale in January. It sounds like a great deal!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
loveysbydesign

We were actually going to go today but plans got changed

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Swank
Lurker for Life

Since you didn't go today, I have a suggestion. Go On New Years Day. We try and go every year on the 1st. Everyone else is sleeping off the night before and nothing is crowded. You would think the streets would be a mess, but by the morning everything is cleaned up. Also all the decorations are still up. It is a great time for my kids to spend some of their Christmas money.

If you are going to Rockefeller Center, note that their is a Lego Store and the Nintendo Store there, which are hits for both my Children.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post
Since you didn't go today, I have a suggestion. Go On New Years Day. We try and go every year on the 1st. Everyone else is sleeping off the night before and nothing is crowded. You would think the streets would be a mess, but by the morning everything is cleaned up. Also all the decorations are still up. It is a great time for my kids to spend some of their Christmas money.

If you are going to Rockefeller Center, note that their is a Lego Store and the Nintendo Store there, which are hits for both my Children.
Is the Pokemon store still open? When we went to NYC eons ago that was the place my kids wanted to hit.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Quote:

This is actually an excellent idea! I despise NYC during the holidays with a hot fiery passion. But this I can see as being very manageable.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
loveysbydesign

Quote:

Thanks, what time would be a good time to arrive? 10 a.m.?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Swank
Lurker for Life

yes 10 am would be good. It will start to get crowded in the late afternoon, but easy going in the morning.

Also if you have girls, the American Girls store is in walking distance from Rockefeller as well.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

If you plan on being near Times Sqare, we like this place for good food that is quite reasonable for NYC. http://www.dallasbbq.com/starters it is this location: 241 West 42nd Street (located between 7th and 8th avenues)
phone 212/221-9000
Donna
Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnainnj View Post
If you plan on being near Times Sqare, we like this place for good food that is quite reasonable for NYC. http://www.dallasbbq.com/starters it is this location: 241 West 42nd Street (located between 7th and 8th avenues)
phone 212/221-9000
Donna
I wouldn't do that. That's a chain notorious for being gross. They've been actually shut by the health dept. more than once.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!

Quote:

Yes to this! We stayed in Times Square on New Year's Eve. On New Year's Day morning we had the Toys R Us store to ourselves!

DVC Trips:
Feb '14- Aulani dream trip cancelled due to snow (obviously Mother Nature is not a Disney fan); May '14- AKV Kidani, BCV; May '15- Pending lots of Pixie Dust... VGC, Aulani
DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
We were actually going to go today but plans got changed
....Mondays are the least crowded....go then.

BTW ~ Carmine's has awesome food if you are looking for something OTHER than the burger/dogs/nuggets kind of fare. Also, you can order less and SHARE; the portions are HUGE!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #15
loveysbydesign

Thanks everyone! Looks like we'll shoot for 1/1/13!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: