DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Very Happy About No More Comforters by 2014

I, for one, always fold and pack away the heavy & unwashed comforters into the closet the minute I get into my villa. I am so glad that DVC is finally in the process of doing away with these nasty things. Yuck.

I remember there was a thread debating the comforters a while back (not the current one that's active) and there were some people who wanted to keep the comforters so that the rooms could be themed. I'm glad Disney will come up with a way to do the new "triple sheeting" with a coverlet and keep with each resort's theme. Yay!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Except that some resorts have just been redone, like OKW, with brand new comforters. So now they are replacing them. Big waste of $$$ from our dues/refurbishment funds. They should've done the replacements with the recent refurbs, or wait until the next scheduled soft good replacement.

That's 1647 almost new comforters to replace at OKW, even at $30 per, that is about $50K.

I don't like the current comforters any better than the next person, and they are more "beachy" than old style Key West. But at least wait until they have some wear and tear.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 12-13-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Except that some resorts have just been redone, like OKW, with brand new comforters. So now they are replacing them. Big waste of $$$ from our dues/refurbishment funds. They should done the replacements with the recent refurbs, or wait until the next scheduled soft good replacement.
I agree with these comments. That said, the existing comforters, while lovely, are so heavy and cumbersome to be actually uncomfortable. Just try to lift and fold one singlehandedly, much less a mousekeeper making the bed by herself. It's like lifting weights!

The new bedding will give the look and feel of a boutique hotel experience and be much more sanitary (hopefully). I give it a .
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Except that some resorts have just been redone, like OKW, with brand new comforters. So now they are replacing them. Big waste of $$$ from our dues/refurbishment funds. They should've done the replacements with the recent refurbs, or wait until the next scheduled soft good replacement.

That's 1647 almost new comforters to replace at OKW, even at $30 per, that is about $50K.
I didn't go to the meeting but I thought on Tim's twitter page he said that Disney is paying for the comforters but DVC members are paying for upkeep? Correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I didn't go to the meeting but I thought on Tim's twitter page he said that Disney is paying for the comforters but DVC members are paying for upkeep? Correct me if I'm wrong...
If Disney is paying, then that is a little better. But still just seems wasteful to just throw out new comforters. I mean, there surely isn't much of market for used King and Queen sized comforters, even if they are in great condition. They'll probably wind up in a landfill.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:

I don't like the current comforters any better than the next person, and they are more "beachy" than old style Key West. But at least wait until they have some wear and tear.
Gee, we could use a new comforter. Mousesurplus, are you listening? Or maybe DVC could just become an Ebay seller themselves to recoop some money.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If Disney is paying, then that is a little better. But still just seems wasteful to just throw out new comforters. I mean, there surely isn't much of market for used King and Queen sized comforters, even if they are in great condition. They'll probably wind up in a landfill.
I hope they don't Get tossed. Perhaps they can sell them and the funds can going into reserves or at the very least, donate to shelters.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I hope they don't Get tossed. Perhaps they can sell them and the funds can going into reserves or at the very least, donate to shelters.
I agree shelters would be nice...if they'll take them.

I've found some of our local shelters really want "new" items (or preferably gift cards), not used. I tried to give them my Mom's good clothing after she passed. At least a local nursing home took them. You can't believe how many people are just dumped there by their children and they never bring them clothes.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:

I for one am also very happy to hear of the change but the recent theme change at OKW did cross my mind as being a bit wasteful. But then I'm not certain how often the comforters end up needing to be replaced. Assuming that they do get washed on some sort of a regular basis it may be more frequently than we are aware of.

But I also read the tweet that the info was that the change would not be coming out of dues - only ongoing maintenance.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I also hope the new look of the duvets may stem the tide of "the villas look dated" comments. It will give the rooms a clean look without really interfering with the theme.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

As I posted on the bedspread thread, I hated that darned duvet at BLT. They need to make sure there are ties inside the cover in the corners to tie the comforter into the duvet. And something to close up the opening. Otherwise, you just get a big lumpy mass that hangs down at the foot of the bed. Or you get tangled in it at the head of the bed. Hate, hate, hated it.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

Quote:
The "top of bed" changes is one of the reasons given for the dues increase, so the members are paying for this.

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
The "top of bed" changes is one of the reasons given for the dues increase, so the members are paying for this.
Tim did tweet that also but the first tweeted this info from the meeting:

"DVCNews.com‏@DVCNews

Disney paying for new bedding. Members pay for upkeep. "

Seems to be conflicting information from DVC. Or else costs are increasing because they will actually be changing the bedding after every guest and no longer saving money by not having to launder the bedspreads.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
They will probably end up at Property Control where Disney cast members have the option to purchase at a reduced rate. I have shopped there many times and have seen items such as the old armoires, chairs, plates, etc. from the various resorts and DVC properties. They won't go to a landfill and Disney will recover some money.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

This isn't happening until 2013 or 2014, they probably would have been wearing out anyway and needed replaced.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: