Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #106
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger&Belle View Post
Even though I would have felt like doing that, and she most certainly deserved it, however I wouldn't have send a comment like that back to her publicly. First of all, it's sarcastic, second of all it turns things into a pissing match, and third, I prefer to take the high road, even when someone has been rude. I think it would have been better to have sent a message privately or to have sent a less sarcastic message publicly (IE, something along the lines of, "I addressed the envelope per the guidelines of proper etiquette, which you obviously have a right to disagree with. However, posting it here is rude, plain and simple. Personally, I would rather be old-fashioned than rude.") . Like I said, she deserved it and I would have certainly thought the thought you did, but rude is rude, even if she did out-rude you.

I don't actually mind being rude to those who deserve it. Sometimes you have to call people out on their crap. I don't go looking for it, but well, every now and then it you get what you ask for.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #107
Hardy
Mouseketeer

Love your response OP! I really don't send out or receive Xmas cards anymore, except for a few elderly relatives. I just can't believe someone would be so rude as to take the time to take and post a picture to Facebook. Especially when you are Facebook friends!

I am happy to receive mail as mrs. Husband lastname. I am happy and proud to be his wife, and yes I have my own identity, job, friends, hobbies, life, and name. And, I would be happy a friend thought of me enough to take the time to send me a Christmas card. I just can't fathom someone being offended by a common and accepted way of addressing someone. Guess that's one stamp you will be saving next year!

Pop Century/Wilderness Lodge/Boardwalk Villas - June 2013
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) August 2012
Old Key West - August 2011
Beach Club Villas - January 2011
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and our 1st visit to Hogwarts! - October 2010
All Star Music/Saratoga Springs/Pop Century - March 2009
Caribbean Beach - October 2008
Port Orleans Riverside - October 2005
Offsite as a kid (what were my parents thinking?)
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #108
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDumbo View Post
I sent a Christmas card to a family friend and her spouse, and today on facebook there is a picture of the envelope I addressed to them. I had addressed it to " Mr & Mrs (husbands name, last name). The status says something along the lines of it is 2012 and I have my own name and identity. Apparently I should have included both first names? I honestly was not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to fit it all in on the address line. But I can tell you who is OFF the card list from now on.

Anyone else get offended by having your mail addressed this way? I'll be honest, I don't put that much time into getting offended.
At least you didn't address it to "Asian Dave and Linda lastname" like my sister did as a joke. I wonder the the people at the post office took that ???
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #109
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Funny, a friend just posted this on FB (no envelope though):

Quote:
Call me Jane, Mommy, or ‘hey you’. I answer to Ma’am, miss, Dr. Taylor or ‘Holly’s Mom’. On behalf of my mother, sisters and my daughters and neices, in support of the millions of little girls who do not have a right to education, who are sold into arranged marriages, who are willing to stand in front of bullets to battle oppression, please do not call me Mrs. Scott Taylor I am not she.
(All names have been changed).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #110
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post

Oh good lord.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #111
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
I sent a Christmas card to a family friend and her spouse, and today on facebook there is a picture of the envelope I addressed to them. I had addressed it to " Mr & Mrs (husbands name, last name). The status says something along the lines of it is 2012 and I have my own name and identity. Apparently I should have included both first names? I honestly was not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to fit it all in on the address line. But I can tell you who is OFF the card list from now on.

Anyone else get offended by having your mail addressed this way? I'll be honest, I don't put that much time into getting offended.
I never address anything Mr. and Mrs. XXX. I think it's disrespectful to the woman-since you asked. Jane and Sammy Wilson takes the same or possibly less space than Mr. and Mrs. Sammy Wilson. I also would NEVER posted the envelope like she did. Obviously, she was irritated to not be worthy of having her name written. It's so old fashioned(not in a charming way) and patriarchal to address things the way you do it. And to those of you saying it's 'proper ettiquette', that's just not so anymore. I helped a bride address her invitations last summer. Her ettiquette book said each person should have their first name on the envelope.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #112
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
I never address anything Mr. and Mrs. XXX. I think it's disrespectful to the woman-since you asked. Jane and Sammy Wilson takes the same or possibly less space than Mr. and Mrs. Sammy Wilson. I also would NEVER posted the envelope like she did. Obviously, she was irritated to not be worthy of having her name written. It's so old fashioned(not in a charming way) and patriarchal to address things the way you do it.
I *am* Mrs. Lastname. How in the world is that "disrespectful"?

If I am addressing something to both people that live in a household and they are married, it is addressed as Mr. and Mrs. Lastname.

This is another reason I don't send out cards anymore ~ people will find anything possible to ***** about.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #113
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

i think people get so offended by the slightest things. really, you were thoughtful enough to send her a card. and really, being offended by THAT? just wow.

i don't even pay attention to how people address our cards. i'm just happy to receive them!

as it is, her posting on FB was incredibly rude and tactless. i don't know that i could resist the urge to post something snarky.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)

Last edited by fairestoneofall; 12-14-2012 at 09:46 AM.
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #114
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Honestly I dont' mind Mr. and Mrs. <Last Name> but I really do hate Mr. and Mrs. <DH name> <last name>.

Why because he is the guy is he more important to be named then I am. I am not just DH's wife... I have my own identify.

That being said I have only been openly offended and said something once when I was referred to in the manner of <DH's> wife... but that was because it was my own mother who called me that because she could remember my husband's name and not mine at the moment (She has for years had a tendency to confuse us kids and ask for us by the names of the other sisters or nieces when she is either angry with us or flustered for some other reason)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #115
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

wife and I are personally not fans of referring to the husband and wife with Mr. & Mrs. Husband's Full Name. I am not goingto make a spectacle of it. However, it rubs us the wrong way and is slightly offensive to us.

That said, I believe grace should be offered and we know that an action like this is unintentional.

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)

EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #116
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Quote:
I don't actually mind being rude to those who deserve it. Sometimes you have to call people out on their crap. I don't go looking for it, but well, every now and then it you get what you ask for.
The problem is, from her perspective you were being rude with how you addressed the envelope. No, I do not agree with her on that, but it seems that's how she took it. So she was then rude on facebook (really rude, IMO). To then turn around and be rude back, however much she deserved it, simply escalates the situation. Better to respond to her with how you really feel instead of by using sarcasm (and believe me, I can easily go the sarcasm route without pause.... ). It simply fueled a situation instead of defusing it. BTW, if we are rating rudeness, she does get the award.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #117
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Me too, but in this case, I'm not sure what it gets you. You look as bad as she does on Facebook.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #118
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

I much prefer "Mary and John Smith" over "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith," but I wouldn't get offended by the latter.

I would, however, get offended at your family member's passive aggressive rudeness.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #119
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post

I'm sorry, but this is utterly ridiculous.

Because of all the above, the miniscule doesn't concern me.

However, it does concern me that employers want to pay women less than men for the same job or when a man decides he can tell me what to do with MY body.

Those are the issues, as women, we should be concerned about. Not, whether someone holds open a door for us (which is just courtesy, as far as I'm concerned) or if someone calls me Mrs. so and so.

What is that saying-we can't see the forest for the trees?
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #120
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
I am happy to receive mail as mrs. Husband lastname. I am happy and proud to be his wife, and yes I have my own identity, job, friends, hobbies, life, and name. And, I would be happy a friend thought of me enough to take the time to send me a Christmas card. I just can't fathom someone being offended by a common and accepted way of addressing someone. Guess that's one stamp you will be saving next year!
This!! I really don't have the energy to worry about every perceived slight that has no effect whatsoever on my life. Is it going to impact one second of my day to be called Mrs Hubby? Not in the least, move on. I'm just happy to get cards.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: