Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
Ephany
DIS Veteran

I don't like it either. I'm not John, I have my own name thank you. I understand it's an old-fashioned way of addressing mail, but meh, it's 2012. I'd ignore it if it came from an older family member and if it came from a friend, I'd probably send off a light-hearted email. Would I post it on Facebook? Never. Would I be offended? Only if it came from my MIL.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #32
Anne34
DIS Veteran

I usually just write "The xxxxxx Family" and leave it at that. It's so much easier. If I know they don't have kids then I do write Mr & Mrs xxxxxx. No first names so it hopefully won't bother anyone, but you never know
Anne34 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #33
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post
Wow! I would have had to respond with something snarky, like "It is 2012, I have my own FB account where you could contact me in private to express your displeasure of my holiday greetings."
Yup, totally calls for a witchy response.

How rude! (in my best Stephanie Tanner voice )
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #34
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Not to dig at you, OP, but I do think you might want to consider apologizing via facebook since she's now been embarrassed on her facebook page by your thoughfulness.

Perhaps something like, Point taken, I apologize for any offense caused. Be assured it was not intentional and will not happen again.

Corrects your social faux pas and no doubt provides a memorable etiquette lesson. Bet her face will be a festive shade of red for the holidays.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #35
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDumbo View Post
I sent a Christmas card to a family friend and her spouse, and today on facebook there is a picture of the envelope I addressed to them. I had addressed it to " Mr & Mrs (husbands name, last name). The status says something along the lines of it is 2012 and I have my own name and identity. Apparently I should have included both first names? I honestly was not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to fit it all in on the address line. But I can tell you who is OFF the card list from now on.

Anyone else get offended by having your mail addressed this way? I'll be honest, I don't put that much time into getting offended.
UGH!

I get offended with my husband's relatives - every single one addresses mail to Mr. and Mrs. Lastname. For birthdays, anniversaries, holidays etc. However I NEVER took his name and we have been married for 16 YEARS.

It is just frustrating since no one else does that.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #36
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

What an idiot. And rude, to boot.

Just curious-- is this her first year on your card list? Or was the way you address your cards OK with her last year??

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #37
NC State
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ols386 View Post
Very rude and tacky of the recipient of the card.
I agree, I would not only mark her off my card list but as a friend too. Those are the type I don't want to be friends with.

Oct 5-10, 2014 Pop /Wonder cruise Apr 26-May 1, 2015/
Dream cruise Sept 8-12, 2013
/Feb, 2013 Pop /Sept 2012 AoA(LM)/Feb 2012 WL /Sept 2011 CSR /
Dec 2010 ASMu/Sept 2009 ASMu / Sept 2008 Pop/ May 2007 POR/
Oct-Nov 2006 Pop /Sept-Oct 2005 Pop/Sept 2003 CBR /May 1994 off site
NC State is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #38
tcufrog
Mouseketeer

While I wouldn't like getting a card addressed that way I'd either let it go or send a very friendly and kind email saying something like

"Thanks for the card. It was wonderful to hear from you and I'd love to get together with you sometime soon. Just so you know for future reference, I ended up keeping my name so if you'd address mail to us separately in the future I'd appreciate it.

Give my love to your husband and kids and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas."

Posting it on Facebook like that is just tacky and rude.
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #39
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchie View Post
I'll be the first to disagree and state that I really hate things addresed to Mr. and Mrs. John Doe. I gave up my last name when I got married, but I did keep my first. Stuff address like that goes straight to DH because his name is on it, not mine. I don't mind Mr. and Mrs. Doe though. When addressing cards I usually address it to The Doe Family.

However, saying something on FB that way really was rude. I agree that she should have said something to you privately. I'm curious to know if anyone of her other friends have commented on or "Liked" what she wrote.
I agree with you. I am not a female version of DH and I bristle at being called Ms. Husband's name. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm offended and I'd never embarrass someone (or make a jerk of myself) by posting it on FB.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #40
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
Not to dig at you, OP, but I do think you might want to consider apologizing via facebook since she's now been embarrassed on her facebook page by your thoughfulness.

Perhaps something like, Point taken, I apologize for any offense caused. Be assured it was not intentional and will not happen again.

Corrects your social faux pas and no doubt provides a memorable etiquette lesson. Bet her face will be a festive shade of red for the holidays.
How has the other woman been embarrassed? I don't think she thinks she embarrassed herself.

And the OP did NOT make a social faux pas as, last I knew, her way of addressing envelopes is still considered correct by the current etiquette rules.

Also, I think any form of diplomacy and subtle decorum would be lost on the other woman. Anyone who would not personally, privately address a small offense such as that, but tries to openly, publicly embarrass, poke fun of or humiliate another person who was being thoughtful & sending well wishes, seems to be lacking that level of social grace.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #41
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Completely tasteless on her part. Doesn't she know you'd probably see it? How old is she??

What you did wasn't wrong, although it is a little old fashioned. I have gotten to where I usually will skip the Mr. and Mrs./Ms., and just write "John and Mary Smith" when I address things. But I hardly ever address things to two people anymore. Usually it's just a birthday card to one person.

I will admit that it does bug me somewhat when mail from a business comes with "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" - especially if it is from a church that we have visited. That's an instant "We can cross that church off our list!" red flag for me.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #42
brockash
DIS Veteran

I'm not going lie, it does annoy me a bit, but my grandma always addresses things like this. I know she doesn't mean anything by it, but yes its annoying that my husbands name is somehow morning important than mine. Having said that ur friend was really rude.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #43
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
How has the other woman been embarrassed? I don't think she thinks she embarrassed herself.

And the OP did NOT make a social faux pas as, last I knew, her way of addressing envelopes is still considered correct by the current etiquette rules.

Also, I think any form of diplomacy and subtle decorum would be lost on the other woman. Anyone who would not personally, privately address a small offense such as that, but tries to openly, publicly embarrass, poke fun of or humiliate another person who was being thoughtful & sending well wishes, seems to be lacking that level of social grace.
I don't think it is correct...maybe in the 1950s, but not now. Either way, I don't think a facebook post is appropriate. A nice, private email would have been nicer and more effective.

I never changed my last name and being addressed as Mrs. Hubby annoys me no end but I understand it from strangers who don't know any better. I usually gently correct them. If someone addressed me as Mrs. Chubby Hubby using DH's first name, I think I would blow a gasket (still wouldn't post on facebook, though).
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #44
merryweather20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
I would have FBed back a picture of text snipped from one of Emily Post's etiquette books on the proper way to address an envelope AND another one on the etiquette of keeping private issues between the two people involved.

I personally would have just addressed the envelopes "John & Jane Doe & family." Or "John Smith & Jane Doe & family," if she has a different last name.
It was obviously uncool to post that on facebook, but you would have to go back pretty far to find an Emily Post that suggested Mr & Mrs. John Doe.

The Facebook friend could simply post a recent clip that had the corect way of addressing cards. Hint its the way you addressed your cards.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #45
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

If you are facebook friends I would have not been able to not post a reply.

I would have said something along the lines of "Oh yes it is clearly 2012 where people have lost all semblance of manners"

Or "No worries you are off the list"
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: