Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Sad about weight gain

I know many people struggle with weight, so I hesitated to post this, but I am kinda sad with my recent weight gain. I knew I would be putting on a few pounds. We went on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks (DCL and WDW on dining plan), were home for one hectic week, and then I had hip surgery. It has been 4-weeks since surgery, but my mobility is still limited and I am just starting to weight bare as of today. For some reason I was more hungry this past month even though I wasn't moving (maybe a side effect from the pain meds? Doesn't make sense to me, but who knows.) Today I finally put on jeans. I have been wearing sweat pants (that I noticed were a bit tight, but I chose to ignore it.) The jeans I had to wear are TWO sizes bigger than I was wearing before. For me it is especially hard because that moves me back into the "Plus-sized" section only and I really worked hard a few years back to be able to shop in the "regular" sections at the store. It is not easy to drop weight for me (especially because I don't like exercising and now will have limitations on what I can do and have trouble finding time to exercise with a 2 and 4 year old.) It is also harder for me to be motivated when it is so cold and dreary during winter time! I am sure the upcoming holiday will not help the weight thing, either. I try to do moderation, but I have very little will power! So I am just kind of sad about the whole weight situation since I didn't think it would be so much. Thanks for listening!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I completely understand where you are coming from. When I was 14 (in 9th grade) I was 5'3 and weighed about 130-135lbs. That was the year I forst got sick. Becasue I had out of control asthma and eczema I was put on prednisone....for basically a little over 3 years with a few one week breaks here and there. By the time I graduated high school, I weighed 195lbs. And for me, what was even worse was that fact that ebcasue it was prednisone weight gain my face looked sooooooo puffy and huge. It was terrible.

I was pretty much at 195lbs until summer 2008. That was when i was finally taken off prednisone and put on immunosuppresents instead. I started dorpping weight pretty quickly...but then I stabilized at about 175lbs. In June 2010, I ahad gotten down to 155-160lbs but then I had brain surgery. I was not able to really do anything for about 10 weeks and I was on pain killers and decadron (extremely powerful steroid) and in 10 weeks, I gained about 18 lbs. I wasnt eating a lot but I was craving unhealthy foods (wendys, pizza, etc) and I was doing NOTHING physical. So by the time september orlled around, I was almost back to 175lbs....and I was going into my first quarter at a new college...not good.

I felt miserable about myself the first time around when I gained so much weight and it didnt help that it was high school and high schoolers are cruel. And it made a very lasting impression on me. And it made it very hard for me to go to college because I was afraid of the same thing. It wasnt amazing, but it wasnt even close to being as bad as high school. Probably could have been better if my self esteem just wasnt so hit at that point.

I'm like you though....even though I was only 21 at that point, it took me a LOT of effort and willpower to lose the wieght again. I made it back down to 145lbs with all that effort and was very happy. But now, I am having some serious GI issues and have lost another 37lbs unvoluntarily....and I just cant believe after eveyrthing I went thorugh with my weight before, that now my doctors want me to gain weight...
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

My jeans were all a little too snug as I was packing, and so I forwent the jeans and opted for dresses and tights instead. Work with what you have to make you feel comfortable.

Do you have a double stroller? You could start by going on walks while pushing the stroller. Bundle them and you up and just walk Or wait until warmer weather (I probably would!)
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I always gain a little weight on vacation. I know you have the surgery in there and I don't know how much weight we're talking but the earlier you notice the better. You can turn this thing around. Don't worry too much about the exercise. It's 80% what you eat any ways. Try to replace as much as you can will fruits and veggies. They fill you up and are full of fiber. Take is easy on sugars, carbs and proteins. Watch out for empty calories too so things like sodas and juices. Keep wearing the zip up pants too. It's easier to be aware of how you're doing when you don't wear pants that stretch.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
low-key
DIS Veteran

I am always watching my weight its so depressing when you notice your clothes feeling tighter
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

i know how you feel, OP. i'm a compulsive stress eater, and, due to my mother's declining mental and physical health, the past 2 years have been nothing but stress. i'd be willing to bet i've gained at least 40 pounds, and, even though i KNOW why i gained it, i can't stop. i've tried medication, stopped eating (made me very sick), reading self-help books...nothing helps. there are some days...nvm. i've already had gastric bypass surgery (and successfully kept my weight off for 6 years-until my mom went off the deep end), so i'm at the end of the weight loss road. nothing else to try.

at least, when your hip is healed, the weight will come off.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
sookie
DIS Veteran

I always tell people to start with one thing and then build on it. I usually say no drinks with calories to start with - then build from there. I have struggled with my weight in the past and it really, really sucks. People can give all kinds of good advice, bad advice, heartless advice and meaningful advice. And in the end, we all have to eat - so it is not something that you can just stop cold turkey. In the end, you have to be comfortable with yourself. I tell people to go based upon not by the scale, but how they feel. Right now - you feel miserable. Your recent hip surgery and your clothing being tight - limited weight bearing - those are all indicates you need to loose weight. It will make your recovery harder if you cling to these pounds. What will make your recovery harder is that you can't exercise like everyone else. You need to talk to your doc.

I was overweight before, so I lost a LOT of weight. I then overshot the scale and lost too much. I'm happy where I am now (8/10) and I have been at this weight for a few years. I've had a few docs get onto me and tell me that maybe I should get down to where I was before (I was down to a size 2 at my lowest weight), but I looked like crap and felt like it. I think they are worried because I had a weight re-gain, but at my lowest, I had anemia and my labs were a mess. I tell people now that they need to listen to their body and not the numbers on a scale. Weight is such a sensitive subject - and really the only person who can make a change is you.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
redlight
DIS Veteran

Good luck to you. I struggle with my weight too. I lost the extra weight, but maintenance is a struggle too.

Amy
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

I highly recommend the Dukan diet. I started in the end of October and have lost 20 pounds. It even has a plan for after to lose the weight.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
I highly recommend the Dukan diet. I started in the end of October and have lost 20 pounds. It even has a plan for after to lose the weight.
Congratulations on your weight loss! I don't subscribe to diets that eliminate vegetables for any length of time so it is not a diet for me (and I really don't like diets anyway) but I am glad it is working for you!

I know it will be better when I am able to be mobile more and actually walk. I just started to be able to put a little bit of weight on the left side (the side of the hip surgery) so that may help, too. Unfortunately even if I was eating perfectly I would probably be gaining right now just due to lack of movement. You don't realize how much you move doing routine things during the day until you can't do any of them!!!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry OP, I can feel your pain. I lost enough weight to get a tummy tuck and since then (June) I've had a hard time getting back into exercising. I used to do a lot of high intensity/ jumping around type of stuff but since the procedure it just feels numb and stretchy and weird!

Anyway I've got to get over it and kick my own butt come January 2! Good luck OP why don't you enjoy the holidays then get on it come the new year!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990
Another recommendation for Dukan. My mom did and boy, did she drop weight! It's a healthy way and you should really look into it.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

OP, I fractured my fibula at the end of September and gained some weight due to reduced activity. I've been doing some strength training but I was burning 400+ calories 6 days a week pre-injury and obviously wasn't burning that for the last three months.

I am really angry with myself because we are going on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Hawaii in two weeks. Many of the clothes that I had ready to go don't fit and I had to buy a new swimming suit in a bigger size. But, it is what it is and I need to just get it going again.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

I went from keeping a vegan diet and working out 5-6 times a week and being in the best shape of my life to gaining 10 pounds and being in pretty bad shape. I started a new job a year ago with lots of free food and booze, with late nights which make it difficult to work out. I am trying to start fresh in 2013. I hope you can, too! hugs!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
Congratulations on your weight loss! I don't subscribe to diets that eliminate vegetables for any length of time so it is not a diet for me (and I really don't like diets anyway) but I am glad it is working for you!

I know it will be better when I am able to be mobile more and actually walk. I just started to be able to put a little bit of weight on the left side (the side of the hip surgery) so that may help, too. Unfortunately even if I was eating perfectly I would probably be gaining right now just due to lack of movement. You don't realize how much you move doing routine things during the day until you can't do any of them!!!
Dukan only eliminates vegetables for the Attack Phase, which usually last 3 to 5 days. After that, you eat vegetables every other day. I am never hungry on this diet; it has definitely been challenging during it through the holidays. But, the way I look at it is, I am losing weight while most people are gaining weight.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: