Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #31
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1302 View Post
I think this is a really good idea. From what I gather, Be Our Guest is ridiculously busy at lunch time. It's a counter service restaurant with a difference, in amazing surroundings. If there's anything Disney can do to cut down the wait times for their guests and run an efficient service, I don't see a problem with it. As others have said, you don't have to use it. And if anyone is as crazy as we are with our ADRs and so on, we study the menus at length before we even book our reservations, so we know we're picking the right restaurants, so to pick food in advance isn't exactly a massive leap.
so what happens if you get to a restaurant and you've changed your mind? We check the menus (it would be a serious stretch to call it studying) before hand also but basically it's just to make sure there is some thing everyone could live with and with cs it's usually not that hard as a burger is a burger is a burger.

but what happens if you get to BOG and have preordered the salad nicoise and realise you could really go for the steak sandwich?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #32
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Am I the only one who doesn't really get the point of this??

How is this going to "speed things up?". Let's say, it isn't absolutely ridiculous to expect someone to know when they will want lunch and what they want to eat before they get to the park, and say that I wake up and say I want xyz for lunch at Be Our Guest at midday and book it.

What are they going to do cook it in advance? What if I get held up because I need the bathroom or stuck on a ride? The only thing they can do is prepare it when I check in which isn't going to be that much quicker, is it? Be Our Guest is an automated ordering system anyway, so where is the time saved? In pushing a few buttons on the ordering screen?

I guess you could say you "skip the line" to place your order, but how long are the lines anyway? Am I going to be in line to order for half an hour? I don't know I haven't been to WDW since it opened but I just can't see that it will save much time or be much practical use for the guests. Am I missing something?
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Thanks for the info, I LOVE this idea!!
I hope it is offered to us at check in, we already know the things we would like to try so it would just be a matter of picking a time. Sounds like it could be a good time save for those who want to use it!!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #34
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

They're discussing the new FP+ policies in depth over on the Theme Parks board. One little tidbit that I noticed was that using this option for BOG would count as one of your FP+ entitlements for that day. So one less attraction you could get a FP+ for that day. For me, this puts a whole different complexion on things. I would much rather have a fastpass for Splash Mountain than lunch. But that's just me.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #35
PinkEars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-P-C-O-T View Post
DH
- Onion soup
- Croque Monsieur
- Triple chocolate cupcake

ME
- Onion Soup
- Braised Pork
- Lemon Meringue Cupcake

DD
- Mickey Meatloaf

I'm ready to order right now!

Seriously, I would love to get picked for this trial. Where do I sign up? lol

Haha love it!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #36
amykay9377
Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations. After all it is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post

How is this going to "speed things up?". Let's say, it isn't absolutely ridiculous to expect someone to know when they will want lunch and what they want to eat before they get to the park, and say that I wake up and say I want xyz for lunch at Be Our Guest at midday and book it.

What are they going to do cook it in advance? What if I get held up because I need the bathroom or stuck on a ride? The only thing they can do is prepare it when I check in which isn't going to be that much quicker, is it? Be Our Guest is an automated ordering system anyway, so where is the time saved? In pushing a few buttons on the ordering screen?

I guess you could say you "skip the line" to place your order, but how long are the lines anyway? Am I going to be in line to order for half an hour? I don't know I haven't been to WDW since it opened but I just can't see that it will save much time or be much practical use for the guests. Am I missing something?
Yes, basically you are skipping the line.

As it stands, there are people waiting in a line outside of BOG to be let inside to order. Let's call them Group A. I've heard that that line is about a half-hour long.

Group B, good DISers that they are, already know what they want to eat and that they want to hit lunch around 1on Friday. They do this Advanced Ordering thing when they check in to their hotel. Here's what happens:

Group A - I'm hungry, let's go to BOG.
1:00 - 1:30 - Standing in line for 1/2 hour to be let INTO the restaurant.
1:30 - 1:45 - 15 Minutes standing in line in the Menu Hallway, deciding on food / waiting for their turn at a register
2:00 - 2:15 - 15 Minutes ordering their food (assuming 4 people in the group at a Self-Serve kiosk) and paying
2:15 - 2:25 - 10 minutes from time they paid to time their order came out

Group B - Hey, it's time for lunch at BOG
1:00 - Check in at location at BOG and be sent to a register or special location
1:10 - let's say that it takes 10 minutes to get to the register, confirm order and pay
1:20 - 10 Minutes from the time they paid to time their order came out

Group B is eating an HOUR before Group A.

If you are planners, I see this as a huge win. If you are the kind of "on the fly" person, no this will not work for you. You are also probably not the kind of people who do "In the Future Ordering" from pizza places (which I LOVE!), or call-ahead orders at Zaxby's or wherever. And that's fine. But for me, I *know* I want a turkey sammich at BOG and I know that I normally like to eat lunch at 1, so it's a no brainer for me...

Check out my blog!
(I may need to change the name soon...)

amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #37
Belle5
DIS Veteran

I hope they ask me to do it at check-in!

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #38
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

This would work for us on our Jan trip. We know which day we want to be there and kind of what time, and I could make a decision about what to eat beforehand.

Still, it's a strange idea. And it's really too bad that the restaurant is being viewed as both an attraction and eatery by the masses....so that Disney seems to feel they need to find a way to cut down on the lines.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
This would work for us on our Jan trip. We know which day we want to be there and kind of what time, and I could make a decision about what to eat beforehand.

Still, it's a strange idea. And it's really too bad that the restaurant is being viewed as both an attraction and eatery by the masses....so that Disney seems to feel they need to find a way to cut down on the lines.
It is certainly a new concept (essentially making a CS ADR), but I don't think it's a particularly strange idea. Especially if you view this move in context with the rollout of the new FastPass Plus system in the coming months.

BOG is brand new and much advertised, so of course the lines will be long. And with the initial reports of the food being quite good even more people will want to try it. So this is a logical place to try this new system.

I think a couple of things will eventually result: 1. After the initial curiosity is satisfied (in a year or so) the lines will decrease at BOG 2. If this new express ordering system works as they hope it will, they will offer it at a lot more of the larger CS restaurants in all of the parks.

And if this new plan does result in shorter lines during the heaviest demand times, isn't that a good thing?
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #40
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post

You would once you get there.
As another PP said, the bottleneck is the ordering kiosk. Not the table space, not kitchen.
This system should help alleviate the huge line of people deciding what to eat and hemming and hawing over the kiosk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykay9377 View Post
Yes, basically you are skipping the line.

As it stands, there are people waiting in a line outside of BOG to be let inside to order. Let's call them Group A. I've heard that that line is about a half-hour long.

Group B, good DISers that they are, already know what they want to eat and that they want to hit lunch around 1on Friday. They do this Advanced Ordering thing when they check in to their hotel. Here's what happens:

Group A - I'm hungry, let's go to BOG.
1:00 - 1:30 - Standing in line for 1/2 hour to be let INTO the restaurant.
1:30 - 1:45 - 15 Minutes standing in line in the Menu Hallway, deciding on food / waiting for their turn at a register
2:00 - 2:15 - 15 Minutes ordering their food (assuming 4 people in the group at a Self-Serve kiosk) and paying
2:15 - 2:25 - 10 minutes from time they paid to time their order came out

Group B - Hey, it's time for lunch at BOG
1:00 - Check in at location at BOG and be sent to a register or special location
1:10 - let's say that it takes 10 minutes to get to the register, confirm order and pay
1:20 - 10 Minutes from the time they paid to time their order came out

Group B is eating an HOUR before Group A.

If you are planners, I see this as a huge win. If you are the kind of "on the fly" person, no this will not work for you. You are also probably not the kind of people who do "In the Future Ordering" from pizza places (which I LOVE!), or call-ahead orders at Zaxby's or wherever. And that's fine. But for me, I *know* I want a turkey sammich at BOG and I know that I normally like to eat lunch at 1, so it's a no brainer for me...

If this is how it works I can see it as a win win for everybody as well.
As I said, we were there last week. Stood in line for 30-40min, ordering took about 5mins because we're trying to figure out how the payment swipe card works (CMs were there to help with this feature as well).
Picking a table took about 5min.
Within another 5 min the food came.
It was amazingly quick.

If the 30-40min were reduced down to 10-15 that would be amazing.
I would be all over this option like white on rice.
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #41
LadyFan55
Mouse-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
For the most part, I like the idea. As an AP holder, I go to WDW several times a year and usually know what I'm going to order before I even enter the restaurant. The only thing that concerns me, is they said it would be offered at check in, so it sounds like it will only be offered for onsite guests. For my upcoming May trip, I'm staying at Bonnet Creek, so would not be eligible for it. With the great rate I found booking through a third party ($89.50/night for a one bedroom condo), it looks like I may now be staying at Bonnet Creek for most of my trips. I'd hate to think that I may have to wait in line longer, just because I wasn't staying in a Disney owned resort. If it was just during the testing phase, it wouldn't be a big deal, but they need to find a way that allows offsite guests to utilize it too. Onsite guests get the 180+10 advantage for ADRs, which is fine, but at CS restaurants if this new system causes walkups to have to wait longer, then it needs to be equal for offsite guests too.
I actually saw this new system!

For a few days I was part of a test of Disney's entire new web site. It had some glitches, and everyone who was a part of the test had to re-retrieve all their room and dining reservations. Once I had done that, I went back to my daily routine of searching for a BOG reservation at this new site. On the BOG dining reservation search page was a 'FASTPASS/Request' (I think that was what it was called) button, I clicked on it and it was not working... yet.

It looks like you make the request on line, just like a sit down dining ressie

Again the entire new site was a work in progress, there where many complaints, but I was liking what I saw! Then, poof, they took it away and I am back to the old website again . Sure wish I had taken some screen shots to share.
Teen-DS
Teen-DS
LadyFan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 AM   #42
gobo2
Drug Lord/Dance Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
For my upcoming May trip, I'm staying at Bonnet Creek, so would not be eligible for it. With the great rate I found booking through a third party ($89.50/night for a one bedroom condo), it looks like I may now be staying at Bonnet Creek for most of my trips. I'd hate to think that I may have to wait in line longer, just because I wasn't staying in a Disney owned resort.
When we pay a premium for staying on property we get certain perks like this. We exchange money for time in the form of EMH, things like this and whatever else Disney comes up with. Yes, part of the higher price pays for the pixie dust of the hotels and grounds but I expect the extra perks that Disney offers for resort guests only.
gobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: