Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Also, Be Our Guest is an enormous restaurant. It doesn't mean you can't get in if you choose not to do it. It just means you will be spending at least a half hour of your park time in line.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

From the article...
Quote:
Once the arrival time and menu items have been selected, the guest will arrive at the designated time, check in and pay at an express location, take the magic rose to the table of their choice, and the food will be delivered.
So this is being tested as a sort of FastPass for your CS meal? Obviously, the testing phase will have very limited impact on those actually waiting in the "standby" line to order. But what will happen if this rolls out in full production? I guess if they keep it to limited availablility and just a day in advance, this won't be such a big deal to those who like their spontenaity - but then it may be of very limited use to those who like to plan (or very useful to a very limited few).

Depending on how far in advance you can "choose an arrival time" or how many tables will be tied up by these arrangements, maybe it's more like and ADR than a FastPass. Will they book a large portion of the restuarant days (or weeks or months) in advance? Then the wait for a walk-up will be crazy.

Bottom line for me: just too much unknown about this to get excited or upset.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
DH and I always check the menus of the places we want to eat QS and TS before our trip and already know (for the most part) what we will be ordering. Helps us with our food budget too. But it clearly isn't for everybody, and it doesn't appear that Disney is trying to make it for everybody. Simply offering an additional service for those who wish to use it.
ITA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
This. Even if Disney holds this over after the TESTING phase, you don't HAVE to use it.

Think about Disney World, people. You don't HAVE to do anything. You have choices. This is just one more of them.
Exactly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I personally think this is a good thing for ppl like me. As mentioned by someone else, I know what im eating ahead of time. I've studied the menu for a few months already so I know what i want. LOL! If this means im saving time instead of waiting in line, im all for it. I'd gladly pick my meals ahead of time.

Lets not forget, Disney isnt forcing anything on anyone. You have the choice NOT to do it.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I love it. Being vegetarian with some ingredient issues, we have a limited number of food items we *can* eat anyway on any menu, so we know 100% what we're eating at any given QS anyway*. This makes it faster. **

*unless they change the menu, of course. barring that, I can tell you now what we'll be eating at any QS for our Feb trip. Almost off the top of my head.

**I love this.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
Dziactor
Mouseketeer

I'd use this, I already know what i want for lunch for my march trip.

Dziactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

For goodness sake - they are offering it as an *option* to reduce wait times. Sheesh! It's not like you will get shut out of a meal if you don't participate. I don't see this as anything but a win-win:
If you plan ahead and know what you want - shorter wait time.
If you want to decide when you get there - shorter wait time for you because the above people are out moving through faster.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dziactor View Post
I'd use this, I already know what i want for lunch for my march trip.
I'm with you - we've known what we want to eat since the menu came out - going down in January and READY to order!
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam
I personally wouldn't do this. Plus the article said that the lunch line starts at PARK OPENING?????????? Who would stand in line for 2-3 hours to eat at ANY CS? Crazy- first we have to reserve our TS 180 days in advance, soon have to have our ride times picked before we get there, and now when and what we will eat for CS? Whats next? Restroom reservations?
Do you think the Restroom system will be disconnected from the ride Fastpass or will we have to choose one or the other?

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #24
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
From the article...

So this is being tested as a sort of FastPass for your CS meal? Obviously, the testing phase will have very limited impact on those actually waiting in the "standby" line to order. But what will happen if this rolls out in full production? I guess if they keep it to limited availablility and just a day in advance, this won't be such a big deal to those who like their spontenaity - but then it may be of very limited use to those who like to plan (or very useful to a very limited few).

Depending on how far in advance you can "choose an arrival time" or how many tables will be tied up by these arrangements, maybe it's more like and ADR than a FastPass. Will they book a large portion of the restuarant days (or weeks or months) in advance? Then the wait for a walk-up will be crazy.

Bottom line for me: just too much unknown about this to get excited or upset.
For the most part, I like the idea. As an AP holder, I go to WDW several times a year and usually know what I'm going to order before I even enter the restaurant. The only thing that concerns me, is they said it would be offered at check in, so it sounds like it will only be offered for onsite guests. For my upcoming May trip, I'm staying at Bonnet Creek, so would not be eligible for it. With the great rate I found booking through a third party ($89.50/night for a one bedroom condo), it looks like I may now be staying at Bonnet Creek for most of my trips. I'd hate to think that I may have to wait in line longer, just because I wasn't staying in a Disney owned resort. If it was just during the testing phase, it wouldn't be a big deal, but they need to find a way that allows offsite guests to utilize it too. Onsite guests get the 180+10 advantage for ADRs, which is fine, but at CS restaurants if this new system causes walkups to have to wait longer, then it needs to be equal for offsite guests too.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #25
E-P-C-O-T
DIS Veteran

DH
- Onion soup
- Croque Monsieur
- Triple chocolate cupcake

ME
- Onion Soup
- Braised Pork
- Lemon Meringue Cupcake

DD
- Mickey Meatloaf

I'm ready to order right now!

Seriously, I would love to get picked for this trial. Where do I sign up? lol

May09 CSR /AKV/BWV Sep09 VWL Jan10 POP/AKV APR10 POP Jun10 AKL/BWV Sep10 BCV Jan11 POP/BWV May11 BCV/BWV Jun/Jul11 SWAN/SSR Sep11 AKV/BWV/BCV Jan12 POP/BCV Feb 12 SSR May12 POP/AKV/BCV Sep12 2012 AKV/BCV/Disney Dream Dec12 Reunion Resort/WL May/Jun13 AKV/BCV/Reunion Resort/BLT Oct13 AKL Dec/Jan14 BCV/AOA/AKV Jan BCV

Currently planning many other trips, but, Mommy is running low on DVC points
E-P-C-O-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
For the most part, I like the idea. As an AP holder, I go to WDW several times a year and usually know what I'm going to order before I even enter the restaurant. The only thing that concerns me, is they said it would be offered at check in, so it sounds like it will only be offered for onsite guests. For my upcoming May trip, I'm staying at Bonnet Creek, so would not be eligible for it. With the great rate I found booking through a third party ($89.50/night for a one bedroom condo), it looks like I may now be staying at Bonnet Creek for most of my trips. I'd hate to think that I may have to wait in line longer, just because I wasn't staying in a Disney owned resort. If it was just during the testing phase, it wouldn't be a big deal, but they need to find a way that allows offsite guests to utilize it too. Onsite guests get the 180+10 advantage for ADRs, which is fine, but at CS restaurants if this new system causes walkups to have to wait longer, then it needs to be equal for offsite guests too.
Kind of OT, but somewhat related.....I wonder if FP+ for attractions will be limited to onsite guests as a perk for staying onsite, like EMH? I'm sure regular FPs will be available for all. If this is the case, maybe for counter service locations (if this goes beyond the testing stage) maybe onsite guests can register in advance and others can log in the day of service?? Time will tell what the changes will be.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #27
johde
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
For goodness sake - they are offering it as an *option* to reduce wait times. Sheesh! It's not like you will get shut out of a meal if you don't participate. I don't see this as anything but a win-win:
If you plan ahead and know what you want - shorter wait time.
If you want to decide when you get there - shorter wait time for you because the above people are out moving through faster.
I agree this could be a win-win for everone. By all accounts, the current choke point at the restaurant is ordering. Tables are currently plentiful, food is being deliver quickly. The wait is coming from getting to a register or Kiosk. If a group of people can bypass the Kiosk walk in and pay, that should speed things up for everyone.

If I was planning out the testing phase, I would probably start with people on the Dining plan, exclusively using credits. That way the person walks up, hands them their room key their order is entered the credits are deducted and they can find a table. All the while there is a shorter line waiting for the kiosks and registers.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
tracey1302
Planning Florida 2014!

I think this is a really good idea. From what I gather, Be Our Guest is ridiculously busy at lunch time. It's a counter service restaurant with a difference, in amazing surroundings. If there's anything Disney can do to cut down the wait times for their guests and run an efficient service, I don't see a problem with it. As others have said, you don't have to use it. And if anyone is as crazy as we are with our ADRs and so on, we study the menus at length before we even book our reservations, so we know we're picking the right restaurants, so to pick food in advance isn't exactly a massive leap.

The Bagley/Mollet family trip - 19 May-2 June 2011 - Complete Trip Report

Furiously budgeting for my DFTW!

I hope we never lose sight of one thing. That it was all started by a mouse. - Walt Disney
tracey1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #29
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Personally, I would not use this. I eat CS most of the time at WDW, and I dine when I get hungry. Sometimes I may have an early lunch and then dinner - sometimes a late lunch and no dinner. I have no way of knowing today when I will be hungry tomorrow. That is one reason I seldom book ADR's - I don't want to be tied to a schedule on my vacation. I get enough of that in the real world.

However, with all the enthusiasm for the restaurant, and the busy holiday season literally on our doorstep, I can see why they would like to test this, and for busy seasons, I hope it works well for them. I can imagine on a capacity closure level 4 day, the wait for the restaurant could be horrific .

My biggest questions would be - what happens if there is a menu change and the item you ordered is no longer available? Do they pick out an alternative for you, call you to have you change your order in advance, or do they tell you that you now have to wait in the "stand by" line and re-order everything? Also, considering how many people change their minds over their resort choices, what happens if someone insists that they no longer want the steak sandwich because they have now gone vegetarian and want the vegetarian option instead? Or young Johnny thought he wanted one thing and now wants something else and if he doesn't get what he wants, he'll throw a tantrum? Are making exceptions to the rule going to make the system pointless? I can hear it now . . ."We preordered, but now Jane wants to change her appetizer, and Billy doesn't want dessert, and we need an extra sandwich because Susie met up with her cousin Judy who decided to come along for lunch so now there are five of us . . . ."

As with anything new, we have to wait until it starts to see what type of real world issues there will be.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanderson89 View Post
I am stifling a philosophical rant about this and the Fastpass+ system....about how hyperscheduled our lives are and how kids can't cope with unforeseen glitches or unstructured time, as a result. In my line of work I see it every day, unfortunately.

OK......tongue bleeding......

I am so with you on this. I'm starting to think that Americans are completely unable to have an enjoyable vacation unless they are pre scheduled for some thing.

Yes be our guest is popular but you know what, I just looked at the menu (for lunch). steak sandwiches, turkey sandwiches and salads. for this I need to make a decision 48 hours in advance.

I'm with you, with having to have my kids at some event at a certain time and 8 months out of the year having to follow a schedule, I guard my unscripted time ferociously.

As with many things I worry about the Slippery slope. already folks stress about the 180 day adr because god forbid you don't have all your adr ducks lined up in a row, I can't image the self induced comas people will go into if they now find out they have to plan their meals down to the drink order days in advance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: