Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
jaybirdsmommy
Earning My Ears

Budget stocking stuffers for Grandma?

Help!!!

I want to do some small, stocking stuffer type gifts for my Mother from the grandkids. So far the only ideas I've got are socks and some recent pictures of the kids. I'll also give her some candy and a toothbrush.

Now, to make this difficult, here is a list of things she won't want:

clothing
accessories
jewelry
cosmetics
electronics
books
gift cards for anything other than cracker barrel
food (other than candy)
stamps (loves her computer and does everything electronically)

Things I've done in the past that are still sitting in the box they were received in: fancy pens, pajamas, flashlights, umbrellas, calendars

I love my mother but she's a pill when it comes to presents. Won't give me any ideas either. She's about to get a flock of chickens from Samaritan's Purse. Actually, as I read back over that, I think this might be the best route. Although, if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
jaybirdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

For my mother, I'd just put in a bottle of wine (presuming a standard-size stocking) and some Sees dark chocolate covered caramels.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Lotion? The B&BW antibacterial purse pockets?

We're a little practical with stocking stuffers -- been known to give office supplies -- pens and the like. It sounds like she doesn't want a gift card to restaurants, but how about gas or her local grocery store?

Our stockings always have an extra-large orange in the toe as well as a gingerbread man from a local bakery on top -- that takes up a bunch of space.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToOne View Post
For my mother, I'd just put in a bottle of wine (presuming a standard-size stocking) and some Sees dark chocolate covered caramels.
Or you can get the little single serving size of liqueurs that they have at the checkout stand of the liquor store.....

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Kae
DIS Veteran

If she will use a Cracker Barrel GC then get her one, Andi's Mints, coffee. Does she do crosswords, does she drive? Car Wash GC?

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Does she have any hobbies?

If she knits or crotchets, how about a few skeins of fancier beautiful yarn or a really nice set of needles/hooks?

If she scrapbooks, how about some nice embellishments?

Does she like to garden? You could get her anything from a kneeling pad to nice gardening gloves or new pruning shears. What about a gift certificate for a flower nursery?

My parents love watching & feeding birds at their house so maybe your mother would like a new bird feeder or hummingbird feeder.

Wind chime?

Notecard set?

Pretty hair pins/clips? I know you said no accessories...

Nail polish? Or certificate for manicure or pedicure.

Gourmet tea bags or coffee?

Something for baking/cooking: ceramic pie weights, oven mitts, tea towels, gourmet spices, cutting boards, etc.

Not exactly a "cool" gift, but how about a custom mouse pad since you said she loves her computer. You could put family photos on that if you think she would like it.

I would try and get just a few nicer stocking stuffers rather than random things like a toothbrush, etc.

A nice wine stopper? Glass Christmas ornament? If she travels...leather luggage tag, cosmetic bags...

What about leather driving gloves?

This is my go-to gift for under $50: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...-NoFacet-_--_-

I would browse the "gift" sections of Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Nordstrom, etc.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Betzee
Mouseketeer

How about a gift card to her hair stylist? Or a magazine subscription? How about paying for her newspaper for a while and putting in a card for that?

If she doesn't really like "gifty" things, I'd get her things she would use on an average day like soaps and/or body wash, shampoos, lotions, lip balms, hand sanitizers for her purse, little tissue packets for her purse, etc. Stuff she'd buy normally. Not too fancy, but at least you know she'll use it.

How about a new compact mirror for her purse, or a small nail clipper kit?

New dish towels? Pot holders? Dish cloths? Again, not too exciting, but useful. She sounds like she's the type who wants useful things, not "gifts."

And, if she loves her computer, how about a new mouse pad or an inexpensive PC game? Or even a new wireless mouse? Wipes to clean her screen?

And, if from your kids, why don't you have them make her something? Either a Christmas craft item, or even draw a picture or write her a letter, if they are older. That would be something special from them.

Good luck! I know it's tough when you have someone who doesn't really enjoy the whole "gift" thing.

July 1975 -- Trip with Parents
May 1995 -- CBR with my Sister
February 2008 -- First Family Trip at POR
Sept 2009 -- Grand Gathering with Family at CBR
February 2013 -- Family Trip at CSR
Betzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Coupon books with things from the kids (depending on their ages) coupon good for free housecleaning, pet walking, etc. DD made Christmas angels out of dishtowels one year and they were a hit, you can always use new dishtowels.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

The best stocking stuffer I got my dad last year was a apple-shaped apple slicer. He loves it and uses it everyday. I think I paid $2 for it.

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
My QSDP report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2551446
sk8jdgca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Older people tend not to want more stuff. They start to want to give it away.

I'd go with the gift card to her favorite restaurant along with coupons from the grandkids for spending more time with their grandmother.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
allison443
DIS Veteran

How about a mousepad with your kids' picture on it?
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
shortbun
Peacenik

pretty umbrella

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
RachelsMommie
Bring Back the Cookie Boat!

I let my kids loose at Bed Bath and Beyond (happened to be there) to pick out gift. My oldest DD picked chip clips for one grandpa, a $5 beverage warmer (to set your mug on) for the other grandpa, and fancy magnetic closure notepads with jewels/initial on it for her two grandmothers (for their purses). My youngest DD picked out a magnetic heart-shaped frame to put on the fridge for each grandparent. She put a picture of her and her sister in the frames.

My kids are 7 and 3. With a little guidance, they were able to find things they want to give their grandparents, and they spent around $20 total for all of the gifts listed.

May 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside!

2012-WL ** 2010-WL ** 2008-Poly/Disney Wonder ** 2007-Disneyland ** 2004-AKL ** 1999-CBR
RachelsMommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Who doesn't use umbrellas? Is she housebound?

My standard "budget" stocking stuffer for older folks (including those my age; I'm in my 50's) is a couple of pocket magnifying cards. They are dirt cheap and dead handy.

Something else useful is rubber rings for keys; it makes it easier to tell them apart.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #15
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

Fancy packs of little tissues, scotch tape, candy, hand sanitizer, deck of playing cards - all things I have put in my MIL's stocking. I usually hit up 5 below and find tons of stuff.
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: