DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
Originally Posted by Tim K (via twitter)
Heavy, ugly bedspreads will be gone by 2014.

Woo hoo! They look pretty on the bed during the day but they are so stiff and heavy that they are uncomfortable during the night. They also tend to slip off the bed during the night. So many times I have woken up during the night feeling cold and discovered the bedspread was nearly off the bed.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Per DVCNews: At BLT, not as many resale contracts on market and prices are higher.

Saratoga & OKW dues helped by resale prices. More resale inventory + lower resale prices lead to lower tax assessment.
I found this very interesting. Never would have known that BLT and other places in greater demand raise the cost of taxes and hence raise the dues.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
missycj96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie
To me the most interesting thing shared was that dues are lower at SSR and OKW due to the price and number of resales.

Never would have known that BLT and other places in greater demand also raise the cost of taxes and hence raise the dues.
Why would number of resales affect dues?
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
CKCruising
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by missycj96 View Post
It's a number of resales at a lower value. Basically the value of the property as a whole has decreased.

April 2009 - Disney Magic Eastern Carribean, Nov. 2010 - Disney Magic Western Carribean
April 2010 - AKL (Jambo), August 2011 - SSR (THV) + VB, October 2011 - BLT [MNSSHP], March 2012 - AKL (Kidani), December 2012 - BLT [NYE]
CKCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I found this very interesting. Never would have known that BLT and other places in greater demand raise the cost of taxes and hence raise the dues.
I agree. So it has nothing to do with spreading out the costs over the number of points at each resort? Another words, I thought SSR was kept lower because it is a larger resort and has more members to absorb the costs of running the resort. How does occupancy affect property taxes?

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
I agree. So it has nothing to do with spreading out the costs over the number of points at each resort? Another words, I thought SSR was kept lower because it is a larger resort and has more members to absorb the costs of running the resort. How does occupancy affect property taxes?
When the tax assessments are calculated, they look at recent sales. The assessed value of the resort has gone down because of lower sale prices. Just like if you built a home for $200,000 and ten years later it sold for $150,000, the new owner could apply for a tax assessment reduction.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missycj96 View Post
Part of our dues includes property taxes and the amount of those taxes is based on the value of the property. Apparently current resale prices are used to help determine the value of the property so if resale values are high they push up the property taxes. If resale prices drop then property taxes will go down. There was some discussion a while ago about this but I can't find the thread.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Per DVC Mike who was at the meeting:

6 - why did the properties I own at go up so much, but the properties I don't own didn't go up as much?

BLT increase is due to Property tax and popularity of the resorts, which influences prices

VGV was due to health care costs that bumped up labor costs.

OKW and SSR have lower property taxes. Taxes are based on resale values. OKW and SSR had a lot of cheap resales

Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:

6 - why did the properties I own at go up so much, but the properties I don't own didn't go up as much?

BLT increase is due to Property tax and popularity of the resorts, which influences prices

OKW and SSR have lower property taxes. Taxes are based on resale values. OKW and SSR had a lot of cheap resales
At the resorts that share services with a hotel (BLT, BWV, etc.) the portion of the shared expenses for things like transportation, front desk staff, etc. are determined by the number of check-ins or number of guests or some such criteria. If BLT is nearly always at full occupancy then it pays a larger portion of shared costs (with the CR) than if it had lots of empty rooms.

This is separate from the property tax issue but both things can affect dues, as well as other things like maintenance costs.

ETA: I would imagine that maintenance costs also go up as occupancy goes up. More guests means more wear and tear.

Last edited by LisaS; 12-13-2012 at 05:28 PM.
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

Quote:

My interpretation of the above comment is the popularity is being stated as a reason for supporting higher resale prices at BLT compared to other resorts rather than being a direct factor in property taxes. It's indirect via it's affect on resale.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #26
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Ok this makes sense. Has this always been the case ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
At the resorts that share services with a hotel (BLT, BWV, etc.) the portion of the shared expenses for things like transportation, front desk staff, etc. are determined by the number of check-ins or number of guests or some such criteria. If BLT is nearly always at full occupancy then it pays a larger portion of shared costs (with the CR) than if it had lots of empty rooms.

This is separate from the property tax issue but both things can affect dues, as well as other things like maintenance costs.

ETA: I would imagine that maintenance costs also go up as occupancy goes up. More guests means more wear and tear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
My interpretation of the above comment is the popularity is being stated as a reason for supporting higher resale prices at BLT compared to other resorts rather than being a direct factor in property taxes. It's indirect via it's affect on resale.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #27
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

Quote:
Ok this makes sense. Has this always been the case ?
The higher visitor count in the BLT rooms was also given as a reason for the large percentage increase last year. One would think that it had already been accounted for at that time.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #28
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

The new meeting format was shorter, which was good.

Outside of the shots of the completed model rooms, and the upcoming revamp of the DVC member web site, there wasn't much breaking news.

Tim tweeted and I posted live on another forum (would have been too difficult to try posting to multiple discussion boards).

While I miss the general Q&A a bit, I was growing tired of the same questions being asked every year.

Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #29
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

That curved seating with the tiny round table looks rather small and wasted space (GFV dining area).

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #30
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
The higher visitor count in the BLT rooms was also given as a reason for the large percentage increase last year. One would think that it had already been accounted for at that time.
I wonder if it was due to BLT still being actively sold during that time. As sales progressed and more inventory was declared, the number of rooms available to members increased which would shift more of the shared costs to DVC members' dues. Just speculating here...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: