Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Anxiety After the Fact?

All I know is I'm having an awful night!
Today was my last final for the semester at school, as well as turning in my last project and a presentation. Even with the amount of freaking out I should have been doing, I stayed calm and had no issues, even sleeping!

Well now tonight, I cannot seem to fall asleep at all. I'm still awake, and feel so anxious! I'm wondering if its a combination of my body finally not being go go go, and that right after my final presentation I rushed to work, and got off late, then went straight to bed and had no time to decompress?

I'm suppose to be at work at 10am, but I'm feeling so bad.
Anyone ever experience this?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
MollyBelle09
Earning My Ears

As a senior in college, I would have to say this is normal. Finals are stressful! My finals ended Monday, but I still feel as if I should be studying or doing something. This always happens to me. You'll be fine.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
Callie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyBelle09 View Post
As a senior in college, I would have to say this is normal. Finals are stressful! My finals ended Monday, but I still feel as if I should be studying or doing something. This always happens to me. You'll be fine.
I'm hoping. I just took my anxiety medication, so I'm hoping it kicks in quickly. I want to sleep! I'm almost panicking when trying to sleep, about the fact that I cannot seem to sleep.
I don't think its helping that I think I ate something funny earlier either.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
Robbi
DIS Veteran

It's normal at any phase of life. You're going full speed on adrenalin and wondering how you're able to do it. After the event, your body needs to readjust. The anxiety is from the left over adrenalin you no longer need. I'm not a professional however, I have been through this numerous times throughout my life as have a lot of my family and friends. You'll begin to feel like yourself again after a couple of good night's rest. If you have an iPhone, get the Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson app. It's wonderful not only for sleeping but for deep relaxation as well.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
susykt4
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if it was anxiety or just all the stress catching up, but my dad is a complete workaholic and when we would go on a family vacation, he would ALWAYS get sick. And it seemed like the less busy and stressful the vacation destination (such as the beach) the sicker he got. It was always "tummy troubles."

I think it's pretty normal to have anxiety after the fact because you are so worked up and full of adrenaline, but you HAVE to push through your stressful day(s) and then when you finally relax, your body gets slammed with all that pent-up anxiety and you feel like crap. Hopefully you are sleeping and feel better in time for work! I know I have felt like this after a terrible day at work.
susykt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
Callie

Sadly, I am still wide awake :/
I already called my mom (she was up for work) and hopefully that might help since I vented my frustrations.
Also, it seems like when you can't sleep, you have to go to the bathroom nonstop!

My cat seems happy I keep getting up. Shes running around, playing, purring. Sigh, life a cat I guess. No worries!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Ceila
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you're having a rough time, just when you feel like you should (finally!) be able to relax. Although I didn't have anxiety, after my last final every single semester I would get the headache to end all headaches (migraine level). And, that's happened other times in my life where I had to go, go, go and then was finally done. All the tension built up but didn't affect me while I did what needed doing. But once it was over, it was like my body realized, hey, she's done, she can feel like crap now!

Keep talking to your mom, and if you aren't feeling better in a day or so, maybe think about making an appointment to see your doctor just to make sure you aren't coming down with something. Hang in there, and congratulations on finishing the semester!!
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
Callie

Thank you. I see my therapist next week, so hopefully we can come up with some methods if this doesn't go away.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to call off work today. I took my Ambien, which requires a full nights sleep, and I haven't gotten nearly enough. I feel terrible about it, but I am sick, just in a different way I guess.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
MEK
DIS Veteran

Callie -

I empathize with your situation because I have had severe insomnia problems at different throughout my life time. It started in college and reared its ugly head several years ago.

What I have learned is that the more anxious I become about sleeping, the less likely it is to happen.

Now I use a different technique. I use the "bring it" technique. I just say "its OK. I am going to stay up all night. So go ahead and bring it". When I face the anxiety surrounding my fear of not sleeping, I give my brain permission to relax. This actually works but it is a technique you have to practice to make it effective.

I have stayed awake all night and driven to Hilton Head with my girlfriends. I currently refuse to give into it and I force myself to continue with my life, despite the fact that I feel absolutely horrid and even more anxious when I don't sleep. I always end up sleeping later to make up for it. But fear of not getting a good night's sleep can really mess with you.

And - yes - I have been curious about neurohormonal effects get activated that make you use the bathroom multiple times. Interesting.

Another thing I try is the gentle repetition of a comforting phrase as I am laying there trying to sleep. I currently use "the lord is my shepherd. there is nothing I shall want......" Find a comforting phrase or mantra and repeat while you are laying in bed. Just say it over and over and feel yourself start to relax.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
MEK
DIS Veteran

Good luck to you!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Callie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Good luck to you!
Thank you. I think a lot of it was part of what you described, anxiety of not being able to fall asleep. I've tried to explain this to many people (on why it's nearly impossible for me to be up bright and early).

When I wasn't falling asleep last night quick enough, I think I started internally freaking out about the fact I had to be up at a certain time, and I wasn't going to get the 8 hours of sleep my medication requires in order for my not to be sick and have a terrible hangover.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Thank you. I think a lot of it was part of what you described, anxiety of not being able to fall asleep. I've tried to explain this to many people (on why it's nearly impossible for me to be up bright and early).

When I wasn't falling asleep last night quick enough, I think I started internally freaking out about the fact I had to be up at a certain time, and I wasn't going to get the 8 hours of sleep my medication requires in order for my not to be sick and have a terrible hangover.
I do that all the time when I have to be up at a specific time. I lay there looking at the clock going "Okay, if I fall asleep now I will get 7 hours of sleep..." and "Well, if I fall asleep in the next 15 minutes I can get 5 hours of sleep..." and it continues. It is horrible!

But yes, I have had the "after" anxiety a few times during my school years (I am in grad school now). Heck, I am having the "I wonder how I did" anxiety two days after my last final. Mostly because it was the final from heck! You know something went wrong when the professor came out and apologized about it and told you not to worry and that he would make sure it was all okay. He even said he would have trouble sleeping because of how badly it went! Talk about anxiety!

I hope it calms down for you though!

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Yup - that's the worst. The freak out can really keep you from sleeping. It's hard to let that go. Just remind yourself that you will be OK whether you get 5, 6, or 7 hours sleep. You won't feel your best, but you'll make it. And when you prove to yourself that you can live through being uncomfortable, sleeping will become less of a focus to you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: