Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #31
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

My TA told me that there were drop boxes for the envelopes...hmm. What do you do if prefer to pay in cash? You must physically give it to them, or give to GS? My mother insists on using cash (old school)

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #32
brianvdb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
My TA told me that there were drop boxes for the envelopes...hmm. What do you do if prefer to pay in cash? You must physically give it to them, or give to GS? My mother insists on using cash (old school)
The standard tip amounts will automatically be charged to your account on day 1 of your cruise. For the two of us on a 5-night cruise, this was $120.

If you do nothing, you'll receive 4 coupons in your stateroom near the end of your cruise that reflect that you've paid the standard tip amounts. There is one coupon each for your server, assistant server, stateroom host(ess), and head server.

If you contact Guest Services and indicate that you want to adjust your tips, they'll adjust the charge on your shipboard account and issue you four new coupons with the new tip amounts. If you want to pay tips in cash, you just contact them and have them remove the charge from your shipboard account.

The coupons come with fancy envelopes that are intended for you to use to present the tip coupon to the person receiving it. You can add cash to the envelopes as well.

Any tips you *charge* to your shipboard account will be forwarded to those they are intended for - even if you don't end up giving them the coupon/envelope. Cash has to be handed over personally.

I often adjust tips upward based on excellent service. Under the new system it is harder to do this. You need to go to GS, stand in line, get the form, fill it out, wait while they print you new coupons. There was no drop box option for this, and the line at GS on the last 2 nights of a cruise is often very long. The other option (which I did) was to take the standard tip coupon and add cash to it, as appropriate, in the envelope.
brianvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #33
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvdb View Post
The standard tip amounts will automatically be charged to your account on day 1 of your cruise. For the two of us on a 5-night cruise, this was $120.

If you do nothing, you'll receive 4 coupons in your stateroom near the end of your cruise that reflect that you've paid the standard tip amounts. There is one coupon each for your server, assistant server, stateroom host(ess), and head server.

If you contact Guest Services and indicate that you want to adjust your tips, they'll adjust the charge on your shipboard account and issue you four new coupons with the new tip amounts. If you want to pay tips in cash, you just contact them and have them remove the charge from your shipboard account.

The coupons come with fancy envelopes that are intended for you to use to present the tip coupon to the person receiving it. You can add cash to the envelopes as well.

Any tips you *charge* to your shipboard account will be forwarded to those they are intended for - even if you don't end up giving them the coupon/envelope. Cash has to be handed over personally.

I often adjust tips upward based on excellent service. Under the new system it is harder to do this. You need to go to GS, stand in line, get the form, fill it out, wait while they print you new coupons. There was no drop box option for this, and the line at GS on the last 2 nights of a cruise is often very long. The other option (which I did) was to take the standard tip coupon and add cash to it, as appropriate, in the envelope.
Thanks, I knew all about the auto tipping, just curious about the cash situation....

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Just to add: The auto tips (tips automatically added to to one's stateroom account) is commonplace among U.S.-based mass market cruise lines. I've had auto tips on Celebrity, Holland America, and Norwegian.

Woody
It does amuse me that Holland America went from "no tipping is expected because our staff are the highest paid at sea" when we cruised in 2002....to automatic tips when we cruise with them last June. The service was just as good, so I guess I have no issue with it.

I think really 3 factors have lead to this. Compeition has forced prices down, so base pay isn't as good as before so tips are more important. People never really are comfortable with tipping. And some people just don't tip.....now based on a talk with our server on the 2002 HAL cruise, they know people from some parts of the world don't tip because it's not part of their culture., it's just part of the territory on a ship with guests from around the world.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
dee slack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
It does amuse me that Holland America went from "no tipping is expected because our staff are the highest paid at sea" when we cruised in 2002....to automatic tips when we cruise with them last June. The service was just as good, so I guess I have no issue with it.

I think really 3 factors have lead to this. Compeition has forced prices down, so base pay isn't as good as before so tips are more important. People never really are comfortable with tipping. And some people just don't tip.....now based on a talk with our server on the 2002 HAL cruise, they know people from some parts of the world don't tip because it's not part of their culture., it's just part of the territory on a ship with guests from around the world.
I guess that different cruiselines must pay staff differently according to the recommended tips that each line publish? We cruised with a British company over C'mas and their suggested tips were waaaaay lower than DCL for instance.

Disney Vow Renewal Wedding Pavilion Dec 13th 2007
Visited EVERY Disney park on the planet!!

Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer & Canada 05/02 *Florida 12/02*tour of Italy 05/03 *Kenya safari 12/03 *US S'west states 05/04 *Dubai 12/04 *China & HK 05/05 *Barbados & Royal Clipper 12/05 *Sth Africa, Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 05/06 *India 12/ 06 *Iceland 05/07 *Florida 12/07 (VR) & 10/10* Baltic Cruise 05/11*Tanzania safari 12/11 * tour of Turkey 05/12* Japan tour & TDR 10/12* DCL EBTA 5/13 * HKDL, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand & Singapore 04/14 * Norway 5/14
dee slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96 View Post
Just wondering, if someone in the party doesn't attend dinner in the MDRs, is it appropriate to decrease the tip amount to adjust for that? I expect my Dad to use room service, and it seems silly that he would have to tip for room service and tip the servers in the MDR if he isn't being served there. He may not even know since my mom will probably be taking care of their account, but I just wondered what to tell him if he brings it up.
I think there's no question about it - you should of course tip them fully. First, they also serve you at breakfast and lunch and on Castaway Cay.

Second, more important, is when you reserve a cruise you reserve the server's time. They are expected to be there for you, and if you do not show up they are not given other guests for that meal!!! Just like calling a taxi and telling him to wait outside, then later you go out and tell him never mind. Do you owe the taxi for the waiting time? Of course. You obligated the servers to be there waiting for you, and common sense and courtesy says you tip them for that service.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #37
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
I guess that different cruiselines must pay staff differently according to the recommended tips that each line publish? We cruised with a British company over C'mas and their suggested tips were waaaaay lower than DCL for instance.
My first cruise was on a French cruise line, and anyone accepting a tip was subject to termination.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #38
dee slack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My first cruise was on a French cruise line, and anyone accepting a tip was subject to termination.
WAs that recent?

Disney Vow Renewal Wedding Pavilion Dec 13th 2007
Visited EVERY Disney park on the planet!!

Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer & Canada 05/02 *Florida 12/02*tour of Italy 05/03 *Kenya safari 12/03 *US S'west states 05/04 *Dubai 12/04 *China & HK 05/05 *Barbados & Royal Clipper 12/05 *Sth Africa, Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 05/06 *India 12/ 06 *Iceland 05/07 *Florida 12/07 (VR) & 10/10* Baltic Cruise 05/11*Tanzania safari 12/11 * tour of Turkey 05/12* Japan tour & TDR 10/12* DCL EBTA 5/13 * HKDL, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand & Singapore 04/14 * Norway 5/14
dee slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #39
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

I agree with you on the 3 factors. I would only add: Some People never really are comfortable with tipping.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #40
kcashner
DIS Veteran

When DCL departed from Dover, there were signs up in the terminal saying that the porters were not allowed to accept tips! We spent the night in Dover and took a cab to the cruise terminal; our cab driver refused a tip--actually handed the amount over the fare back to me!

However, the hotel in Dover has a charge to use the swimming pool!

Different strokes for different parts of the world, I guess.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #41
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
When DCL departed from Dover, there were signs up in the terminal saying that the porters were not allowed to accept tips! We spent the night in Dover and took a cab to the cruise terminal; our cab driver refused a tip--actually handed the amount over the fare back to me!

However, the hotel in Dover has a charge to use the swimming pool!

Different strokes for different parts of the world, I guess.
That amazes me of the porters and cab driver in Dover ... Even in the UK, it's the norm to tip a cab driver and porters!
DCL has a lot of sway and I suspect they had words with Dover Council to make it like that.
We got a cab from the station and did tip our driver .. He took it as he should have done IMO. Perhaps because we're British, he felt it was ok?
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #42
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
Your TA is wrong. There are drop boxes for the comment cards, not for tip envelopes.

Regardless of how you tip (cash, coupon, or a combination), you hand the envelope to the appropriate individual. If for some reason this is impossible, you can give the envelope to Guest Services or to the head server to distribute to the team. however, if you go to dinner on the last night, you just give the envelope to the appropriate individual.

For the stateroom host--if you don't see him/her, just leave the envelope on the desk in the room.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #43
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3
Mouseketeer

Thumbs down This makes me scratch my head...

Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night

Dining Room Server $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Room Asst. Server $9.00 $12.00 $21.00
Dining Room Head Server $3.00 $4.00 $7.00

Stateroom Host/
Hostess $12.00 $16.00 $28.00

Dining Manager Your Discretion

Room Service Your Discretion

Palo Gratuity included

Vista Spa & Salon Your Discretion

Babysitting Gratuity not expected

Port Adventures Optional; not included in port adventure price.

You can choose to pre-pay gratuities for your party up to three days before your vacation begins by contacting Disney Cruise Line; or, for the convenience of our Guests who have not pre-paid, the suggested gratuity amounts will be added to your onboard account, based on the length of your voyage as shown in the table above.

SO... If these are the numbers to use... It would be

Per person per cruise

3 day $36
4 day $42
7 day $84

My family has 3 our November cruise tips should be...

$ 84 x 3= $ 252. Correct?

Also we are in concierge and I have heard say the suggested form other Concierge cruisers we should do $50 per person per cruise. If they do a lot for you.

Cabana's on Castaway Cay... Suggestion is $10 per person in the cabana.

Does this sound right?
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #44
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3
Mouseketeer

Forgot to mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON PARTY OF 3 View Post
Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night

Dining Room Server $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Room Asst. Server $9.00 $12.00 $21.00
Dining Room Head Server $3.00 $4.00 $7.00

Stateroom Host/
Hostess $12.00 $16.00 $28.00

Dining Manager Your Discretion

Room Service Your Discretion

Palo Gratuity included

You can choose to pre-pay gratuities for your party up to three days before your vacation begins by contacting Disney Cruise Line; or, for the convenience of our Guests who have not pre-paid, the suggested gratuity amounts will be added to your onboard account, based on the length of your voyage as shown in the table above.

SO... If these are the numbers to use... It would be

Per person per cruise

3 day $36
4 day $42
7 day $84

Also we are in concierge and I have heard say the suggested form other Concierge cruisers we should do $50 per person per cruise. If they do a lot for you.

Does this sound right?
I forgot to mention I took the part down to so....... from the DCL website FAQs.
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #45
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON PARTY OF 3 View Post

Palo Gratuity included

Does this sound right?
Yes, your calculation of $252 is correct. The "Suggestions" quoted above as to concierge and cabana host are just that--suggestions from posters on the Dis. There is no suggested amount from DCL; they are relatively silent saying only that it is at the guest's discretion.

I would base the tip to the concierge and the cabana host on what they do for you. If the concierge sits in the lounge and is "available" but doesn't do anything for you, the tip would be minimal. On the other hand, if he/she takes care of reservations, keeps my kids happy with snacks or smoothies, etc. then something more is appropriate. Also, the tip for a 3 night cruise should certainly be different than a 14 night cruise (a suggested per day makes more sense than suggested per cruise).

Cabana host--same deal. If he does nothing other than show me how to work the call buzzer...minimal tip. If he is running down to the cabana for whatever, then more is appropriate. $10 per guest? Dining server and stateroom host get $4 per guest per day for serving 3 meals per day or cleaning room twice. Does the cabana host do more than double the work of these people? I don't know...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: