Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
ssnow32539
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
There is still an envelope left at turndown, however your receipts for the auto gratuities will show up in your room with these envelopes unless you go to guest services to adjust them.
For what it's worth, I've added cash on top of the recommended by putting cash in with certain envelopes receipt.
I kind of like the idea of having an automatic gratuity. On our last cruise, we never saw our head server at the last dinner and so we couldn't give him our little envelope. Our server said he would give it to him for us, but we like handing it over personally so that we can show them our appreciation for all their hard work.
ssnow32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
sskem96
DIS Veteran

Just wondering, if someone in the party doesn't attend dinner in the MDRs, is it appropriate to decrease the tip amount to adjust for that? I expect my Dad to use room service, and it seems silly that he would have to tip for room service and tip the servers in the MDR if he isn't being served there. He may not even know since my mom will probably be taking care of their account, but I just wondered what to tell him if he brings it up.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96 View Post
Just wondering, if someone in the party doesn't attend dinner in the MDRs, is it appropriate to decrease the tip amount to adjust for that? I expect my Dad to use room service, and it seems silly that he would have to tip for room service and tip the servers in the MDR if he isn't being served there. He may not even know since my mom will probably be taking care of their account, but I just wondered what to tell him if he brings it up.
That's a much stickier wicket than you may realize, and people are divided on the subject. Some feel that you shouldn't have to tip for a service you choose not to use. Others recognize that tips are the primary income for servers, and by not tipping, servers are being deprived of expected income through no fault of their own. This is why many cruise lines have gratuities automatically built-in.

At the end of the day, you have to do what you think is right, but I will suggest that your dad may be missing out if he chooses to skip the MDRs. The room service menu is decent, but not as good as the MDRs.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
Tara619
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96
I would still tip the servers, as they are working elsewhere for breakfast/lunch/ snacks, and your dad presumably will be dining at those times, right?

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
sskem96
DIS Veteran

Thanks, I'll encourage them to tip the full amount then.

My dad goes to bed really early, but he has always liked live stage shows, so we booked late dining thinking he'll probably head back to the room after the show and order room service, then go to bed. I was afraid if we tried to do early dining he wouldn't be able to stay up for the show. He also might be having to do dialysis in the room depending on how his kidneys are doing at the time. We're still a year out from the cruise, so no way to predict that right now, but he's getting a portable unit that he can take with us just in case.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
KateMW
DIS Veteran

So where can I find the tipping lowdown? Not really the amounts, as we are great tippers, but how do we do it? Do you have to go to each person you come in contact with to give them the envelope? Or is that only if you are giving extra? How does tipping the concierge CMs work? How many are there and what's the usual tip for them?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMW View Post
So where can I find the tipping lowdown? Not really the amounts, as we are great tippers, but how do we do it? Do you have to go to each person you come in contact with to give them the envelope? Or is that only if you are giving extra? How does tipping the concierge CMs work? How many are there and what's the usual tip for them?

DCL automatically adds the tips to your onboard account now. At the end of your cruise, you will receive tip envelopes and coupons in your room. Each coupon will indicate the name and position of the person being tipped, as well as the amount. Tear the coupon in half and place 1/2 in the correct envelopes. At this time, if you wish to add additonal cash, you may. Then you hand out the envelopes to the proper person.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #23
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How does tipping the concierge CMs work? How many are there and what's the usual tip for them?

There are 3 on the Dream and Fantasy.
Some concierge tip discussion;

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ping+concierge
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
KateMW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
DCL automatically adds the tips to your onboard account now. At the end of your cruise, you will receive tip envelopes and coupons in your room. Each coupon will indicate the name and position of the person being tipped, as well as the amount. Tear the coupon in half and place 1/2 in the correct envelopes. At this time, if you wish to add additonal cash, you may. Then you hand out the envelopes to the proper person.

But do the CMs still get it if I spaz out and forget? It's been known to happen.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
KateMW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
There are 3 on the Dream and Fantasy.
Some concierge tip discussion;

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ping+concierge
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But do the CMs still get it if I spaz out and forget? It's been known to happen.

I spazzed and forgot for MDR.
Yes , if it has been charged to onboard account prior or during sailing.
It will have your lead ressie name and cabin # with amount.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #27
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

Yes they will, even if the CM spazes out. Last month our head waiter was getting ready for his vacation and did not come by. Our server assured us he would still receive it if it was charged to our shipboard account.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
kcashner
DIS Veteran

As long as you have used the system where the tips are charged to the KTTW account (which is the default system), the appropriate CM will get the standard tip.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #29
remlap
Mouseketeer

I like the auto charging, as we've cruised before and had our table mates skip out on dinner on the last night just to avoid the tip.

That said, on my first cruise, (on RC not DCL) I never once met the head waiter the entire cruise until the last night when he came around with his hand out. We had already decided prior to dinner to just add his tip to our Assistant Server who was fantastic. I wouldn't want to auto reward non-existent service and I'm not sure I'd want to wait in line at Guest Services to change it.

Every time I've cruised DCL, the head server has come around every night check on us. There has never been anyone on DCL that I wouldn't have wanted to tip the minimum and we just add additional cash on top for those that have gone above and beyond.

2008 4 Night Wonder to Bahamas & Castaway Cay
2010 2 Night Wonder Los Angeles Cruise to Nowhere
2012 7 Night Wonder Alaskan Adventure
2014 2 Night Wonder San Diego Cruise to Nowhere
2015 4 Night Dream to Bahamas & Castaway Cay
2015 2 Night Wonder San Diego Cruise to Nowhere
remlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
brianvdb
Mouseketeer

Just got back from a 5-night on the Wonder... And I'm not real fond of the new tipping system. I knew that the tips were automatically added to our account, but I expected that there'd be an easy way to adjust he tips (UP, in our case).

We didn't end up receiving the coupons until very late on night 4. The instructions said to stop by Guest Services to adjust the tips. The next day was Castaway Cay, and we had an excursion, so the first opportunity that we found to stop by Guest Services was before dinner on night 5. After 20 minutes of standing in line with 15+ people still in front of us, we gave up. There was no drop box option.

Fortunately, we had cash in appropriate denominations and were able to make it work... Otherwise everyone would have gotten standard tips. Adjusting tips (especially up) shouldn't be this hard.

Why not make it like before? Everyone gets a form asking for tips a few nights before the end of the cruise. If you return it to GS (or a drop box at GS) you get coupons with the amounts specified... If not... You get coupons with the standard tip amounts.
brianvdb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: