Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
Ozziemum
Earning My Ears

Tipping

We have cruised before but first time on a Disney Cruise. Previous cruises we have been on tips were added as a daily rate on our account and added at the end.

Being from Australia where tipping is not the norm I was wondering who do we tip on the cruise and how much???

Thanks
Ozziemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
owensamo
DIS Veteran

Standard tips (stateroom host, server, assistant server, head server) are charged to your onboard account at the beginning of the cruise at the recommended rate of $12/person/day (for all 4). You can a visit guest services at any time to adjust it up and down. The only additional tips would be Palo/Remy (which you can charge to your onboard account), room service (cash or account), and porters at the port (luggage drop off before the cruise -$1/bag, and then at debarkation and through customs- about the same, though we usually tip more because they do more then).
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Mariellen102
Mouseketeer

They do not leave an envelope in your room anymore? I do not like this added to my bill at the beginning. Last time we went on one there was an envelope to give them cash?
Mariellen102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariellen102
They do not leave an envelope in your room anymore? I do not like this added to my bill at the beginning. Last time we went on one there was an envelope to give them cash?
There is still an envelope left at turndown, however your receipts for the auto gratuities will show up in your room with these envelopes unless you go to guest services to adjust them.
For what it's worth, I've added cash on top of the recommended by putting cash in with certain envelopes receipt.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

To OP--the standard tips are added to your account and you will get the coupons in your room. You place the coupon in the envelope and give it to the appropriate person on the last night of the cruise. You can alter the amount of the tip at Guest Services if you wish. Also, if you wish to increase a tip, you can put cash in the envelope. But if you give the CM the envelope with the coupon in it, you have tipped as expected.

In addition, any time you purchase a bar item, there is an automatic tip added--again, there is a line on the charge form where you can tip more, but it is not necessary.

Additional tips--IF you use the porters at the terminal, a tip of $1-2 per bag is standard. If you are using DCL transportation, you will not use the porters on arrival. It is your choice whether or not you use them on disembarkation.

Room service--a tip of $1-5 is common depending on the size of the order. If you have 2 full dinners delivered, a tip of $5 may be reasonable. For a smaller delivery, $1-2.

Spa services--a tip is standard and not automatic.

Adult dining--most people add a tip on top of the surcharge. A portion of the surcharge does go to the server. You will read many opinions here about how much tip is appropriate; we usually tip $10 per person on top of the surcharge.

While this may sound like a lot, DCL is not a place where everyone has a hand out for a tip. I like the process of doing the coupons for the main positions as I don't have to think about it. This system was specifically instituted to aid people who didn't understand what is expected in the US/on DCL.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

. . . This system was specifically instituted to aid people who didn't understand what is expected in the US/on DCL.
Just to add: The auto tips (tips automatically added to to one's stateroom account) is commonplace among U.S.-based mass market cruise lines. I've had auto tips on Celebrity, Holland America, and Norwegian.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariellen102 View Post
You have the option to go to Guest Services and have the tips removed if you prefer cash, or you can pay the cash at Guest Services towards the tips on your onboard account. You will still get the envelopes on the last afternoon, with coupons if you allowed Guest Services to charge your onboard account or without. Tips can be adjusted up or down at Guest Services, or you may add extra cash to the coupon at the end.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Fabooliss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensamo View Post
Standard tips (stateroom host, server, assistant server, head server) are charged to your onboard account at the beginning of the cruise at the recommended rate of $12/person/day (for all 4). You can a visit guest services at any time to adjust it up and down. The only additional tips would be Palo/Remy (which you can charge to your onboard account), room service (cash or account), and porters at the port (luggage drop off before the cruise -$1/bag, and then at debarkation and through customs- about the same, though we usually tip more because they do more then).
I'm trying to get my head around this... do you mean for my family of 4 on a 5 night cruise it would be $12*4*6 = $288
or ?????

Disneyland March 2014
POP Feb 2007, Jan 2011
Wonder Feb 2, 2013
Fabooliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Rambler5678
DIS Veteran

$12/pp * 4/people =$48/day

$48 * 5/days= $240

This is for your dining staff and room steward. Palo/Remy, luggage porters, room service etc are extra.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabooliss View Post
I'm trying to get my head around this... do you mean for my family of 4 on a 5 night cruise it would be $12*4*6 = $288
or ?????
No, it's $12 X 4(people) X 5(nights) = $240.

Remember that's for your room host, and 3 meals a day.

Frankly, I think it's more than worth it. We generally add additional cash to the suggested tips.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We find that tips on the ship are generally lower than what we would end up tipping at WDW for 3 meals per day, equal number of days. Your dining team gets $8 per guest per night ($1 head server, $3 assistant server, $4 server). We do a sit down meal at WDW for dinner, and the tip for that alone is more like $20 for the two of us.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Also as customary as it is to hand tip envelopes over to said CM's, it is not absolutely necessary if you have coupons to give them(charged to onboard account).
They will still receive the tip $ with cabin # and lead ressie name, so they will know who it's from.
I forgot to bring our envelopes to last supper, and the servers said no biggie and confirmed the above. However, I suppose if you don't say anything or show up, they could assume you tipped zero or don't "do" envelopes.

It must be tense for them to check the tip list/totals after each cruise.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

From what we've heard, it is less of an issue for them now than before the standard tips were charged. Now the guest has to DO something in order to decrease or remove the tips. While it does happen, it isn't often.

Even those who are grumpy about the tip amounts are less likely to go to GS than they were to just not stuff that little envelope.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #14
Ljbadfan
table #71

We tipped the recommended amount before we left. We when got good service we gave more money. Our waiter we had was so awesome he got alone a nice big tip. So did our room person. On the last day of the cruise wwhen left the ship, I gave him a fifty dollar bill, plus what else he got already. He kept the room clean, very polite and wonderful. I have a sleeping condition which I have to sleep on 4 pillows and he found 2 more pillows for me, I had them the shoe time I was there. He was awesome. Our waiter was awesome, and he got a bignt from our family as well
Old 12-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Fabooliss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
No, it's $12 X 4(people) X 5(nights) = $240.

Remember that's for your room host, and 3 meals a day.

Frankly, I think it's more than worth it. We generally add additional cash to the suggested tips.

Thanks! That makes sense... wanted to make sure there wasn't another x4 on top of that!

Disneyland March 2014
POP Feb 2007, Jan 2011
Wonder Feb 2, 2013
Fabooliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: